Former Pilots-Union Chief Duane Woerth Has Inside Track to Lead FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're kidding me, right?
How many times has ALPA told their pilot group to take a paycut to "live to fight another day"??
How about the guys at ExpressJet who just furloughed 300 pilots and then the union tells them to take a pay cut to "protect their livelyhood".

And yet you still benefit from ALPA.

How many times has ALPA told their pilot group to take a paycut to "live to fight another day"??
How about the guys at ExpressJet who just furloughed 300 pilots and then the union tells them to take a pay cut to "protect their livelyhood".

So you think a pilot group has a better chance in a 1113c proceding of maintaining their 'status quo' than negotiating the cut themselves? Pay cuts suck, that's for sure, but management in these cases was looking to throw out ENTIRE CONTRACTS and impose their own policies and pay, without ALPA (or any other unions) input.

So then you would say, 'Well I'm not working for those wages, I'll just quit.' If there is one thing we ALL know in this industry, is that their are plenty of starry-eyed spikey haired kids who would not hesitate ONE SECOND to take your job, at half pay or less.

Unfortunately, it is better to take the hit rather than let an 'impartial' judge do it for you.

Peace.

Rekks

I love the quasi-informed folks who think it's cool to be in the "rag on ALPA" group.

If ALPA is so horrible then why don't you volunteer to make it better? Hate to break it to you, but ALPA is us and we are ALPA. (well, hopefully we as in me soon)

Whining from the sidelines fixes nothing.

I love the quasi-informed folks who think it's cool to be in the "rag on ALPA" group.

If ALPA is so horrible then why don't you volunteer to make it better? Hate to break it to you, but ALPA is us and we are ALPA. (well, hopefully we as in me soon)

Whining from the sidelines fixes nothing.

Party line...straight from the indoctrination training camps.

Do you think the government can do a better job...or maybe even the president? If not, were you on the ballot for election?

ALPA is an impotent union that is slowly but surely losing its power both with its membership and in Washington. DW will be just another puppet and cannot, in good conscience solely, protect Part 121 pilots.

Good thing ALPA was around, we would all work for peanuts and lose an airplane every other day. Not one person or group would have stepped up...only ALPA was able to do that and enhance safety. No one else is responsible for that..no one. Only ALPA...now send us your dues.

Party line...straight from the indoctrination training camps.

This is one of the problems. ALPA has no or very weak training. ALPA relies on it committee members and Officers to figure it out or 'pick it up' as they go along.....

Do you think the government can do a better job...or maybe even the president? If not, were you on the ballot for election?

I really don't care for that reasoning either.... which is..

If you don't like the status quo then run for office and change thinkgs yourself...
Well that is great, but what if you don't want to be in office or what if you lose the election.. should you just sit down and be quiet?

No.

Participatory politics and democracy is available in unions and ALPA... Problem is ... pilots choose not to.

When an airline I worked furloughed there was a special LEC meeting... it was packed full. Suddenly it was important for pilots to attend the meeting..

Problem was... pilots in attendance wanted to know what peer pilots who volunteered were going to do for them... Not what pilots were going to do for themselves....

A critique of post 9/11 was the President said "go out and shop" and go be consumers.. don't worry about the state of crises, we will worry about everything...

Rather when America was in crises the citizens of the USA should have become active participants.

ALPA is an impotent union that is slowly but surely losing its power both with its membership and in Washington. DW will be just another puppet and cannot, in good conscience solely, protect Part 121 pilots.

So, with the Air Line Pilot Profession in crises, should be be counting on new pins and a glossy magazine to fix our careers our should we be actively participating?

Good thing ALPA was around, we would all work for peanuts and lose an airplane every other day. Not one person or group would have stepped up...only ALPA was able to do that and enhance safety. No one else is responsible for that..no one. Only ALPA...now send us your dues.

It is easy to point out problems, especially when you do not have the responsibility to solve them...

regardless..... what do you suggest?

Latest resources

Back