Foreign carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gelopilot79

Does anyone know how or if its possible for someone who built all thier time in the US if there are any foreign carriers that hire US citizens when you have the eligible time? I am sure there are Airlines out there that hire as long as u have the time, but I am not sure of who.

I recently interviewed with Cathay Pacific. They seem like the place to be...go schedule, US basing, good pay, good health insurance. Unfortunately, I joined the long list of United furloughees who didn't make the cut.

Gelopilot79 said:
Does anyone know how or if its possible for someone who built all thier time in the US if there are any foreign carriers that hire US citizens when you have the eligible time? I am sure there are Airlines out there that hire as long as u have the time, but I am not sure of who.

There are a lot of Asian carriers that will accept your FAA certificates. I work for JALways, a division of JAL, based in HNL. Most of flight time was in the USA. Plus, a few Middle Eastern carriers also accept FAA certificates.

Most of those jobs are to be gained through contractors - Parc, IASCO, WASINC, HACS, etc.

Cathay Pacifc is truly looking for guys. This is my first airline, but as I compare stories it truly does seem the place to be. If you have low time you will end up in HKG as a cruise relief pilot, not the bad deal people might think it is. Higher time guys can get US based FO on the frieghter.

Last edited:
I am interested in making a change and very interested in Cathay Pacific. Can you tell me any helpful hints on getting through the application process? I did go to their web site and dowloaded an application.

If you have low time you will end up in HKG as a cruise relief pilot

What kind of low time? Like less then 1000 low time or low time in the sense of a major airline specs like less then 3000 hrs?

I am currently building my time as a 135 charter pilot in florida, but I want to keep my options open for the future since I always wanted to fly for a major carrier. I just started this 135 job with 830 TT and only 75 multi. I plan on staying here until I have 1500TT and about 500 multi time, which I should get by the latter part of '06. I ask this cause I want to get an idea to plan ahead as a back up in case the US airlines still look iffy.

If you want to get on with Cathay, you "MUST" get the current infor from http://www.pprune.org/forums/. Especially getting and studying the reading materiall listed. "Handeling Big Jets" by D.P. Davis seems to be the bible.

Study this and be prepared to answear detailed questions about aerodynamics, weather, & systems. This way you will not walk out of the interview wondering, like for so many of us, what just happened.

Good luck to all.

Gelopilot79 said:

A short list:

EVA Airways ( Taiwan )
China Airlines ( Taiwan )
Korean Air Lines
Asiana ( Korea )
Singapore Airlines
Cathay Pacific
Dragonair
Jalways
Nippon Cargo
Emirates
Etihad
Gulf Air
Air Arabia
Sri Lankan
Hainan
Shenzhen
Various domestic Japanese carriers

I'm sure I've missed a few, but that is a start. Some only hire Captains, while others will hire both or just F.O.s.

Typhoonpilot

Low time as in <3000hrs. But it depends.
On what?
Multi time, captain time, 121 time. I truly don't know what Cathay is looking for. I'm one of the least experenced FO's I know that they have hired.

2800TT

1000 MULTI

2500 PIC

SO's get hired with less, but be prepared for a long road to a window seat.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry for not being specific Bjammin, on the times, I was trying to mean low time as 135 or multi. I guess its all dependant on what kind of time you have as well. Such as if someone comes in with 500 turbine/jet with a 121 and the other with 1000 multi/piston CFI/135 the first I would assume may have an upper hand. But that can also be dependant on how well each can do during the interview process.

I'll keep an eye on these companies. . =)

Latest resources

Back