• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Foreign carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been at SQ for a number of years. I left a "legacy" carrier before things went south (they're now in BK). I've never looked back. SQ/SQCargo are looking for F/Os. If you think you'll be on the street for a short period, 5 years or so, come on an expat contract. If you think it's longer and you want to upgrade to Capt (assuming you're a FO now) then come on a local contract.

If someone has 121 time and you're typed on the 777/747-400, there's no bond or anything. If you're not you have to post a bond.

Bjammin said:
Cathay Pacifc is truly looking for guys. This is my first airline, but as I compare stories it truly does seem the place to be. If you have low time you will end up in HKG as a cruise relief pilot, not the bad deal people might think it is. Higher time guys can get US based FO on the frieghter.

I can't help but wonder, what kind of experience do you think the S/Os are getting hired with?? You don't seem to have a F****king clue...there are cruise pilots here that were ex-737 capt. A320 captains...and a few that flew heavies in europe.

some are in HKG to start as cruise pilots because THE MONEY IS MORE than you flying freight, not because your 3000 hours is so much more than theirs. Even the US commuter guys/gal have more experience than you Navy puke.

Your statement about SO gets hired with less than your experience is totally off-base...the AVERAGE experience of S/Os getting on right now ranges from 4000 to I have seen over 7000 hours.

it is truely sad that a Cathay pilot with 3000 hours considers himself as "high time".

Last edited:
Gelopilot79 said:
Does anyone know how or if its possible for someone who built all thier time in the US if there are any foreign carriers that hire US citizens when you have the eligible time? I am sure there are Airlines out there that hire as long as u have the time, but I am not sure of who.
On my experience I flew in South America Cargo, and the flying is great, the cities awsome, great people, but the pay is as low as the regionals, and they don't pay ontime, therefore plan ahead to have some CC's or savings. Hours they don't expect from you to lots of hrs unless they hire you as a captain, and make sure you speak spanish or portuguese. During training they give a lot of importance in irrelevant things like Main gear pressure on DC10 Who cares!!!, got to be pacient, specially if they know you are american, they will show they are astronauts, just take it easy. hope this helps

Ryanair is hiring Americans...

They contract out to Brookfield Aviation which recruits Americans and guys from other countries. From everything I've seen its not a bad deal except you have to be 737 typed with EFIS experience. If thats you, you'll be hired as a Captain.

Retire at 58 or 59 and go fly in Europe for a year...You can fly as an F/O past 60 if you have that age 65 fetish... Pay isn't bad either, if I remember correctly its something around $135 euros an hour. Plus NO LAYOVERS which means you are home everynight. They have bases all over Europe...

BORAT, are you sure that they will hire Americans, despite them not having a JAR licence? There are two issues here: a) work permit in Europe as a US citizen, and b) the JAR licence.

Airlines may have a way around either one, particularly on short term contracts, but I would definitaly find out before you invest too much effort and entheusiasm in persuing that job.

(o) (o) said:
it is truely sad that a Cathay pilot with 3000 hours considers himself as "high time".

My god, chill!!!!

I spent weeks down in Adelaide with a bunch of SO's. I have more friends in the airline that are SO's then FO's and Capt's combined. ALL OF THEM HAD MORE HOURS THEN ME!!!! I'm at the very bottom of the list of the entire airline when it comes to hours.

I was speaking of the minimums.

People that don't have many hours have a better chance of making SO then FO, THAT'S ALL I WAS SAYING!!!

The money for SO is about the same, but people for many reasons, may not be thinking of SO as an option. I know many guys that got offered SO positions and didn't take them and alot of guys that perfer SO over FO. It's all a matter of preference.

Did the Navy give me any leg up on any of my peers? ABSOULTLY NOT!!! I struggled through training and barely passed my line check. Most everyone did better then I.

I have nothing but respect for everyone I work with and am very humble in my poisition, so back off with this bashing.

(o) (o) said:
Even the US commuter guys/gal have more experience than you Navy puke.

All US miliatry guys beware, this may be some of the hostility you run into. I experience it on a fairly regular basis.

Last edited:
(o) (o) said:
. Even the US commuter guys/gal have more experience than you Navy puke.

We may have more "flight time" but I don't think we have more "experience" Gotta respect those that defend our turf.

Latest resources

Back