Foreign carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sharpeye said:
EVA Air based in Taipei, Taiwan is definately looking for pilots. Fleet of 747,A330s,777, and MD11s. PM me if you want more info.
No offense, but working in Taiwan would make me a little nervous. Probably just a matter of time before big China comes knocking... JHMO!

Rogue5 said:
Rhetorical of course, but in the course of your current day to day operations, how often do you find yourself landing the 777 or 747 on a carrier vs. flying approaches and operating in an airline environment?

My point is that there just may be something behind that previously mentioned "prejudice." If I had two guys both having spent the past 5 years in "professional" flight operations, one in the military, one in the regional airlines, well...

If I want a guy to drop bombs, refuel air-to-air, dogfight, or land a transport-category aircraft on a carrier or a short, unimproved field the mil guy would get the edge. If I want a guy to operate in the civilian airline world of ATC, customer service, running an civilian airline flight-deck or operating out of major airline hubs I'd give the previous FAR 121 guy the spot.

Please don't get me wrong. I respect our military for their commitment and the job they do and believe them to be the best equipped, best trained in the world. But the airlines are not the military, and you guys have to admit that while you mil guys may have a wealth of experience that may translate into airline operations, the guy who has thousands of hours in civilian airline operations has very valuable and directly applicable experience, perhaps even better experience for the job at hand.

Furthermore, as far as having "skills," I'd say the typical civilian guy has worked his way up through G.A., maybe first flew night single-pilot, single engine cargo perhaps working up to a beat up old light turbo-prop, then flies a turboprop and then an RJ for sometime in a 121 airline operation before he gets to the point of applying to a major airline. Throw in a couple of engine failures, pressurization failures and various other emergencies (outside of a simulator) and I think you'll see civilians have had to learn how to work that stick between their legs and have developed pretty good decision-making skills themselves.

Just my humble (civilian) opinion...

Part of the problem of the American system of hiring is the emphasis put on your previous background ie. military, PIC Turbine, Part 121 or 135. It is ALL relative and all have something to offer. But it is NOT a strict requirement outside of the US. Overseas, generally speaking, they look for a well-rounded candidate and while 1000 PIC Turbine is nice to have, someone who may have 5000 SIC Turbine is more impressive as it's total time in the environment that makes a candidate shine. Most airlines consider their FOs as Captains in the making and you will eventually be trained for the left seat according to that company's SOPs. Therefore, the lack of any PIC turbine is not a deal breaker.

Having begun my flying training, obtained professinal qualifications and initial airline jobs on one side of the pond and then the last 15 years in the US, I think I'm qualified to speak on this subject.

Just to give one example of a non-US airline hiring practice - British Airways (BA). Like all airlines, they have their minimum requirements and selection process. But that's where the similarity ends. Provided you meet and/or exceed their requirements AND they are hiring, you WILL get an interview no matter what your background. You may have to write a little essay as part of the app and they may use this as a final decider to call you for interview.

The point I'm trying to make is that it matters not what your background, you all have an EQUAL opportunity to make it or blow it at the selection process. It truly is a diverse group of candidates and is very refreshing to see. Military, corporate, commuter airline and flight instructors all mixed together and neither group getting any special treatment or favoritism. No need to know any one previously in the company and no need to have LORs (although it would probably not hurt but used as a talking point in the interview).

As you can see, this is a FAR cry from the way hiring is done in the US and the various hoops you have to jump through to even get an interview. Small wonder then that those pilots seem so much happier with their lot and there's far less acrimonious posts on the "us" and "them" theme on pprune. Kind of puts to shame those US government-mandated phrases on airline applications: "we are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate according to........" We all know why those disclaimers are put on application forms.

You may argue the point that in the US, it's a question of numbers and hiring practices are born out of supply and demand. While that is certainly true, it is my experience that US airlines rarely change hiring practices. Suffice to say, there are significant differences between what happens here in the US and elsewhere and from what I have seen, people elsewhere have a better deal and are far happier. That goes for both employer and employees.

Just my two cents worth!

CameronW said:
No offense, but working in Taiwan would make me a little nervous. Probably just a matter of time before big China comes knocking... JHMO!

Nothing will happen before the Beijing 2008 Olympics are finished. China wouldn't risk the negative publicity. So you would be safe for that long.

I was in Taiwan when the commies were lobbing missiles over the top of the island ( run-up to the first ever Presidential election in Chinese history, 1996 ). The U.S. sailed a carrier through the straits and that settled things down a bit.

Doubt GW and his corporate cronies will not do that again as they prefer corporate profits over Democracy. In 96 Taiwan was still a bigger market than all of mainland China with $18 Billion in goods purchased from the USA versus around $17 Billion from mainland China. Now that balance has tilted in China's favor with over $100 Billion to Taiwan's $20 something.

Mainland China has over 700 missiles on the Fujian coast pointed at Taiwan. The Taiwanese have Patriot III anti-missile batteries all over the island. Taiwan is also known as an unsinkable aircraft carrier. They field over 140 F-16, 50 Mirage 2000s, 100+IDFs, and some F-5s. They'll put up a good fight if it ever comes to it.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back