Foreign carrier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
(o) (o) said:
Even the US commuter guys/gal have more experience than you Navy puke.

They may have more total flight time, but it would be a question as to the quality of that flight time. I would imagine Bjammin's 3000 hours in the Navy were all very high quality hours versus the typical 1200 hours or more of fluff time that a typical commuter pilot had doing circuits in a C-152 before getting hired at said commuter. Not that I'm bashing that either because that is what I did.

To borrow your phrase, you obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about to make that kind of a statement. While the commuter/regional pilots probably have more time flying typical airline routes and doing instrument approaches, they probably do not have the command and leadership training that Bjammin has nor would they have the skills required to land on a carrier flight deck. Both types bring something different to the table, neither is better than the other. They all have to learn when they join an airline like Cathay or any other major.

Typhoonpilot

Not wanting to hijack the thread or anything but as far as the Ryanair info is concerned there are a few things that need to be considered;

Firstly, Ryanair are hiring American Captains through a contract agency. They have a pretty good relationship with the Irish equivalent of the FAA. So getting a Irish validation of your FAA ATP isn't a problem. However you have 12 months from the time you start to get your JAR license. Which is going to be extremely tough to do if you're working full time. Expect 100 hours a month as the normand you'll be out on your ear at the end if you don't get it!

I'm not sure how the right to live and work in the EU angle is concerned. Maybe the American guys who've joined Ryanair all have that right.

Bjammin said:
Cathay Pacifc is truly looking for guys. This is my first airline, but as I compare stories it truly does seem the place to be. If you have low time you will end up in HKG as a cruise relief pilot, not the bad deal people might think it is. Higher time guys can get US based FO on the frieghter.
I posted a message on Airlinepilotpay about Cathay Pacific SO and got diverted to here. Any useful information or contacts would be greatly appreciated. I only have 1200 TT but over half is turbine(turboprop). Also I heard that the medical can be pretty rigorous, Im very healthy with good eye site but i have a metel rode in my leg from a car accident and also a few tattoes. Any opinion on what cathay might think about all of that? And how long are guys waiting to make JFO? Thanks again!

Upgrade to JFO is roughly 3 to 3.5 years currently. Average interview times for SO's are 3500 hours TT with 2000 hours jet. The medical here is not very hard, as compared to Japanese or Taiwanese carriers.

Good luck.

What has been everyone's experience with getting the app to CX. Is it easier to email of fax, or both?

Also, do you also send a resume?

You download the app from the Cathay Pacific websight, type it out and HANDWRITE the handwritting excersize, then send it in or have a buddy that works there hand carry it in for you. One guy got a call 2 weeks after I hand carried his app in. Update the app every six months at a minimum.

I don't know about tattoos. I don't think they would have a problem as long as they didn't show in uniform.

A buddy of mine got an interview with 1500 TT, but it was all in mil fast jet. He got hired as an SO.

typhoonpilot said:
While the commuter/regional pilots probably have more time flying typical airline routes and doing instrument approaches, they probably do not have the command and leadership training that Bjammin has nor would they have the skills required to land on a carrier flight deck.

Rhetorical of course, but in the course of your current day to day operations, how often do you find yourself landing the 777 or 747 on a carrier vs. flying approaches and operating in an airline environment?

My point is that there just may be something behind that previously mentioned "prejudice." If I had two guys both having spent the past 5 years in "professional" flight operations, one in the military, one in the regional airlines, well...

If I want a guy to drop bombs, refuel air-to-air, dogfight, or land a transport-category aircraft on a carrier or a short, unimproved field the mil guy would get the edge. If I want a guy to operate in the civilian airline world of ATC, customer service, running an civilian airline flight-deck or operating out of major airline hubs I'd give the previous FAR 121 guy the spot.

Please don't get me wrong. I respect our military for their commitment and the job they do and believe them to be the best equipped, best trained in the world. But the airlines are not the military, and you guys have to admit that while you mil guys may have a wealth of experience that may translate into airline operations, the guy who has thousands of hours in civilian airline operations has very valuable and directly applicable experience, perhaps even better experience for the job at hand.

Furthermore, as far as having "skills," I'd say the typical civilian guy has worked his way up through G.A., maybe first flew night single-pilot, single engine cargo perhaps working up to a beat up old light turbo-prop, then flies a turboprop and then an RJ for sometime in a 121 airline operation before he gets to the point of applying to a major airline. Throw in a couple of engine failures, pressurization failures and various other emergencies (outside of a simulator) and I think you'll see civilians have had to learn how to work that stick between their legs and have developed pretty good decision-making skills themselves.

Just my humble (civilian) opinion...

Last edited:
We had a guy in our hiring pool, around 1500 TT 800 MEL, he went to work for some outfit in China flying a commuter sized Turbo Prop. I don't have many details only an e-mail from a couple months ago about not being in our pool anymore.

There is alot of hiring activity for pilots in China, India, the middle east, Japan at the moment. Where you got your experience is second in consideration as to How Much experience you have. Having flown in the area is always a big fat plus, but not always to the employer.

X man

Latest resources

Back