• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually they are everything. You can hope and wish to the lucky stars that the aviation gods have blessed you with Chuck Yeager abilities but for most of us that isn't the case. You need time and experience. I know many low timers that said they had no idea what they were doing in case of an emergency.

CX880, I can't continue the discussion with you. You want to shift all responsibility from the pilots to something, ANYTHING, else.

I've known many low time pilots were were very qualified for the job. I've also known many high time pilots who shouldn't be anywhere near airplanes.

You don't need Chuck Yeager abilities to be a 121 pilot. You do need basic airmanship and professionalism though.

I've read some things in this thread which happened to people who could have easily avoided them if they had listened to advice from old timers, and not had the me first attitude.

I'm dumber now.

Well today is one of those days I enjoy...NASTY WX......ORD-SPI in an ERJ145 , full boat with 50/50 chance we may not get in. SPI 3/4 vis , snow and windy. We shoot a LOC appr to rwy4 and miss, circle to an ILS31 with an 5kt tailwind and gusty. I land and grease it , hearing the pax clapping as we touch down.

With all thats going on with our company ,I still enjoy the heck out of this job. I cant imagine doin anything else.

OK MAV lol

CX880, I can't continue the discussion with you. You want to shift all responsibility from the pilots to something, ANYTHING, else.

I've known many low time pilots were were very qualified for the job. I've also known many high time pilots who shouldn't be anywhere near airplanes.

You don't need Chuck Yeager abilities to be a 121 pilot. You do need basic airmanship and professionalism though.

This crash is not about their mistakes. This wasn't the same as those two aa pilots that flew their 757 into the mountain in south america or those comair guys that took off of the wrong runway. Those were simple mistakes. This crash highlighted what is wrong with the entire industry. Everybody is to blame because these two pilots do not control what goes on in the entire industry. The FAA and managment does.

CX880 said:
Everybody is to blame because these two pilots do not control what goes on in the entire industry.

GMAFB - those two Colgan pilots don't control the industry, but they DID control what went on in that cockpit that fateful evening.

Those two Colgan pilots made the very simple mistake of forgetting to push the power levers up after leveling off from of a descent - a mistake that wasn't caught until airspeed decayed to the point the shaker activated...but had they properly reacted, they'd still be here. Unfortunately, they didn't, and the complete and utter disaster that was their reaction to shaker activation sealed their fate.

I see absolutely no difference between Comair departing the wrong runway and Colgan forgetting to WATCH THEIR AIRSPEED and then doing everything wrong when a simple application of power and the loss of a couple hundred feet of altitude could have saved their asses - both were gross pilot errors that resulted in a significant loss of life.

You keep reaching for scapegoats in this accident, blaming Colgan, the FAA, fatigue rules, compensation structure, etc...blaming everybody but the two professionals who had demonstrated stall recognition and recovery on EVERY. checkride they'd ever taken.

In the Comair accident, folks were playing the fatigue card, and blaming the tower controller, and Jepp for not having updated the chart, LEX for the confusing runway alignment, etc...but just like then, sometimes you've just got to call a spade a spade...

Honestly I am inclined to think CX880 is trying to get a rise out of you.

That's the flightinfo way though.

Mesa sucks.

I'm bartending now and made $105 in tips yesterday working from 11am-3pm. Friday night I made $110 and only worked 6 hours.
So the money and schedule is a hell of a lot better. The college girls who work there are great to look at. They even affectionately refer to me as "The dirty ole man who stares."
Living in the hub of the airline, lots of regional pilots come in and complain about how they hate their companies and looking for anything to get out of the industry.

Do I miss it? Only the flying part, not the company, scheduling or JFK. But now I can afford to rent an airplane to fly around for fun. Oh, and I quit buying all the generic foods at Kroger. This morning I bought ground beef...Grade A! DEEE-LISH!!

When you were first applying for a pilot job at the regional level, what company(s) did you apply to? What regional airline you currentlly work for and why did you choose it over the others?

Latest resources

Back