• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For those who quit the regionals...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GMAFB - those two Colgan pilots don't control the industry, but they DID control what went on in that cockpit that fateful evening.

Those two Colgan pilots made the very simple mistake of forgetting to push the power levers up after leveling off from of a descent - a mistake that wasn't caught until airspeed decayed to the point the shaker activated...but had they properly reacted, they'd still be here. Unfortunately, they didn't, and the complete and utter disaster that was their reaction to shaker activation sealed their fate.

I see absolutely no difference between Comair departing the wrong runway and Colgan forgetting to WATCH THEIR AIRSPEED and then doing everything wrong when a simple application of power and the loss of a couple hundred feet of altitude could have saved their asses - both were gross pilot errors that resulted in a significant loss of life.

You keep reaching for scapegoats in this accident, blaming Colgan, the FAA, fatigue rules, compensation structure, etc...blaming everybody but the two professionals who had demonstrated stall recognition and recovery on EVERY. checkride they'd ever taken.

In the Comair accident, folks were playing the fatigue card, and blaming the tower controller, and Jepp for not having updated the chart, LEX for the confusing runway alignment, etc...but just like then, sometimes you've just got to call a spade a spade...

Then why are all these changes coming to the industry? If what you are saying is true then the outcome should be nothing more than a profile addition to the sim training. Kind of like how we have to say that runway heading matches runway, courtesy of the Comair crash.

Thought I would start up this thread again to see the responses...

Where and what are you doing now?

My background. Aviation Science degree. On my second regional (been with the regional career for 6 1/2 years), still a first officer. I am the bottom guy in my base, on Reserve, and really seeing nothing change. I could switch bases from where I live and drive to another base, putting me 22/38 on the list. But I am getting married next year, ready to start a family, and thinking of leaving the industry all together. The pay and amount of time I am on the road with terrible schedulemjust isn't paying off for me. Curious as to those who left flying to pursue another career, what did you do? I'm great with building computers and thought about pursuing something in that job market.

Thought I would start up this thread again to see the responses...

Where and what are you doing now?

My background. Aviation Science degree. On my second regional (been with the regional career for 6 1/2 years), still a first officer. I am the bottom guy in my base, on Reserve, and really seeing nothing change. I could switch bases from where I live and drive to another base, putting me 22/38 on the list. But I am getting married next year, ready to start a family, and thinking of leaving the industry all together. The pay and amount of time I am on the road with terrible schedulemjust isn't paying off for me. Curious as to those who left flying to pursue another career, what did you do? I'm great with building computers and thought about pursuing something in that job market.

Good luck its a brutal world out there right now. I know one guy that went to law school after a furlough vowing never to come back. He got plenty of high fives and pats on the back from the "forum crowd" When his airline recalled that boy came running back as soon as he could and had plenty of horror stories about the law profession. I would hang tight if I were you. unless you're completely miserable

Good luck its a brutal world out there right now. I know one guy that went to law school after a furlough vowing never to come back. He got plenty of high fives and pats on the back from the "forum crowd" When his airline recalled that boy came running back as soon as he could and had plenty of horror stories about the law profession. I would hang tight if I were you. unless you're completely miserable

Wait, this is a good job? Hmmmm....

Thats because regional pilots are too stupid to do anything else. We like to compare ourselves to doctors and lawyers but we're not. Pilots are too smart to be satisfied working in grocery store or at Lowes but too stupid to be successful in anything other than some sh!TTY flying job. That includes those pulling down the "big bucks" at the good flying jobs. Most of them were in the right place at the right time and probably wouldn't be hired at their current companies had they undergone today's hiring standards

Thats because regional pilots are too stupid to do anything else. We like to compare ourselves to doctors and lawyers but we're not. Pilots are too smart to be satisfied working in grocery store or at Lowes but too stupid to be successful in anything other than some sh!TTY flying job

Perhaps you're speaking for yourself.

I'm a software developer who decided I'd rather fly airplanes for a job.

I know a number of folks at my company who took a similar path to aviation and who maintain currency in other vocations.

Perhaps you're speaking for yourself.

I'm a software developer who decided I'd rather fly airplanes for a job.

I know a number of folks at my company who took a similar path to aviation and who maintain currency in other vocations.

johnpeace, I'm happy you found the job you want.

However, here is an example that there will always be someone who will take that RJ job hoping for a better life. If it works, thats fine. You still have to ask why so many leave in the first place. Until there is unity in the work group (all airline pilots), there will be no change except the names and faces of the people in that position.

Latest resources

Back