Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

?? for those that have flown major dom and intl.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here's my beef - I was hired 12/06 on the 73. I'm currently on MLOA and will be until approx Sept/Oct of '08. Based on the last bid, I'm pretty sure by the time I come back I can comfortably hold a line on the 756, and possibly hold a line on the 777. Definetly want to maximize my time/pay as a commuter - hence my asking!! Trying to figure out if I should bid the 756 or 777 when I return to CAL...Of course I know I've got plenty of time to ponder.

Since you're slightly senior to me, you may be able to hold a line when you come back. If you can, almost all the trips are commutable and you won't find a more productive mix of trips. The best is a 30-some hour 3 or 4 day. The worst is around a 15-hour 3 day.

If you're on reserve, maybe you can sit A if you're a commuter but they can still convert you to short call. I don't get used much on reserve, so if you're a commuter probably not a great idea.

Thanks for your service.

Since you're slightly senior to me, you may be able to hold a line when you come back. If you can, almost all the trips are commutable and you won't find a more productive mix of trips. The best is a 30-some hour 3 or 4 day. The worst is around a 15-hour 3 day.

If you're on reserve, maybe you can sit A if you're a commuter but they can still convert you to short call. I don't get used much on reserve, so if you're a commuter probably not a great idea.

Thanks for your service.

Thanks for the words - I might pick your brain more as my time gets closer to come back to CAL since we're close in seniority. Hopefully our contract will be robust at that point as well.

However crew scheduling would deduct the 2:40 to show legality and keep the computer happy for future scheduling.

That doesn't figure in at all. Crew desk has no idea who slept when...bunk time counts as flight time for scheduling purposes. 32/7 for FARs and at our airline 48 hours contractual off after a Pacific crossing.

The longer trips from the west coast (SYD, PVG, HKG) are less tiring than the shorter ones to KIX or NRT because you get more time in the bunk and usually have more time at your destination to play and catch up on your sleep.

Av8 - you need to get a job with the Alaska Reserves flying the F-22. If long flight times are bringing you down, you'll have plenty of 0.5's and 0.6's flying BFM (that is seriously the standard in the Raptor flying BFM). 15K of JP-8 in 30 minutes - holy shizzle!!!
I wouldn't mind bending your ear about the F-22 program if you have a few minutes sometime. I have some reservations and I believe someone like yourself may be able to clear them up.

If you want to look like you're 75 when you're 50, pure Int'l is great.

That's something that I don't understand. I'm basically flying three times a month on three day trips and much better rested with the bunk bed. I suppose all that time at home getting nagged at could possibly premature my aging...

Hvy, I was just told the scheduling computer automatically on a 3 man crew takes one third of the block time away to keep everybody below 8 hrs and legal for future scheduling.

Hvy, I was just told the scheduling computer automatically on a 3 man crew takes one third of the block time away to keep everybody below 8 hrs and legal for future scheduling.

I don't see how that would be legal. If you're a required crewmember then you're a required crew member period. You can log it and it counts toward all of the limitations. There is nowhere in the regs that says that the Captain HAS to let you sleep. If the Captain feels the situation warrants it, he/she could keep all 3-4 pilots on the flight deck for the entire flight if he/she chose to. There is never a time when you could say - oops sorry - i'm in rest - handle the engine fire over the arctic ocean with the other first officer.

If scheduling was deducting 1/3rd of the flight time, I would not accept an assignment that would not be legal without their deductions - and - I would definetly pitch a fit to the FAA if need be.

good luck

And how many times have you and your company busted 32/7 in the past year using this thought process? Are you saying that you can be scheduled for 43 hours in 7 days if you have a 3 man crew?

It doesn't work that way.

Latest resources

Back