• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

for the XJ guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OR the third type... the ones that wear the hat because it's apart of the uniform. Why do people think they can pick and choose the rules they have to follow? I don't choose to violate rest requirements, duty times, calls, SOPs and other rules set forth in our manuals. So why is it ok to violate other rules? Oh... because the hat isn't safety related or something like that.

We expect the company to follow our contract. Why is it so hard to uphold our end of the bargain and follow the FOM, which is in a way another contract between the pilots and mgmt?

I'm not by any means a company man, but there are certain policies that we ought to follow as professionals. We are professionals right? We probably ought to act like them.

Have you EVER violated sterile cockpit procedures?
Ever read any magazine or newspaper in cruise?
Fail to give a brief to the F.A's on Every leg?

Those are also in the F.O.M. Make sure you do them all...every time.

Of course I may have vioilated the rules above, I'm not perfect. I try however to not blatantly and intentionally violate the rules. Everyone is guilty of breaking some sort of rule here and there. It doens't make it right though. We're all hypocrites to a certain extent, but I hope that we aren't carelessly breaking procedure. The hat issue is something that is so clearly violated and out in the open it just seems like such a simple rule to follow.

My whole point is that maybe before we start complaining about our new hires breaking the rules, maybe we ought to be looking at ourselves first, as example setters for our new pilots.

i for one wear my uniform, i dont wear a hat, don't even own a ipod, nor oakley sunglasses. my question is who really cares. are the pay checks coming every two weeks YES! So why do i care about how the public views the few guys who wear a non standard jacket or have a backpack. how is my job affected by those things, THEY ARENT, load factors are still very high, despite the ipod pilots.

i mean come on don't you guys think that of all the issues facing our jobs today, maybe our focus is a bit askew, or maybe we shouldn't have time for the cosmetic problems.

My whole point is that maybe before we start complaining about our new hires breaking the rules, maybe we ought to be looking at ourselves first, as example setters for our new pilots.
Although I agree with you (we sure set the standard for our FO's), give up on the hat. You are fighting an uphill battle with the ground falling away behind you. Show an example with how you wear the rest of the uniform, if you choose to wear a hat great, if not who cares. I in fact have gone in cycles, sometimes I choose to wear it sometimes not.

OR the third type... the ones that wear the hat because it's apart of the uniform. Why do people think they can pick and choose the rules they have to follow? I don't choose to violate rest requirements, duty times, calls, SOPs and other rules set forth in our manuals. So why is it ok to violate other rules? Oh... because the hat isn't safety related or something like that.

We expect the company to follow our contract. Why is it so hard to uphold our end of the bargain and follow the FOM, which is in a way another contract between the pilots and mgmt?

I'm not by any means a company man, but there are certain policies that we ought to follow as professionals. We are professionals right? We probably ought to act like them.

Read a little closer Flap Operator. I said "It seems there are only 2 types of pilots who LIKE to wear that hat." I also said if they require it I will wear it, doesn't mean I will like it though. I still stand by what I said about the only 2 types of pilots who LIKE to wear the hat. The others wear it and tolerate it.

If it's part of the uniform you should wear it, if you like it it's a whole different story.

The hat isn't required for FOs, is it?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ruffle everyones feathers.

Last edited:
I'm not judging people who don't wear their hat... I don't really care actually. I just think that we ought to be setting better examples for our new hires and that it's funny what rules we pick and choose to follow. What makes the new hires think they can start breaking rules right away? I was never than "comfortable" when I was new. I'm not on some warpath for the hats, just an observation.

Hollywood - FYI the policy in the FOM requires a full uniform when at work, including the hat.

I'm not judging people who don't wear their hat... I don't really care actually. I just think that we ought to be setting better examples for our new hires and that it's funny what rules we pick and choose to follow. What makes the new hires think they can start breaking rules right away? I was never than "comfortable" when I was new. I'm not on some warpath for the hats, just an observation.

Hollywood - FYI the policy in the FOM requires a full uniform when at work, including the hat.

I am chief of a 135 company right now and I can tell you that pilots are like 1st graders. If you make a rule and don't enforce it they will walk all over that rule. Enforce it they will complain a little and a few days or weeks later the problem will be over. If they don't stop complaining then maybe the rule is unreasonable, change it.

If XJ was serious about this rule they would enforce it. If the FAA was serious about this rule they would enforce it.

By the way flap operator, there is a law on the books in MN that says all bathtubs have to have legs. Do you think that law is enforced?

I follow the rules, but how big of a deal is this thing anyway? Management doesn't enforce it because it's not important to them.

What about zipper ties??? I wear one of those... oh, and I've never worn my hat, I am a horrible person and a disgrace to the company.... nevermind the CAs (8+ years at XJ) in my class that sincerely told us (newhires at the time) to not worry about wearing the hat.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back