• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

for the XJ guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think as seasoned XJ pilots we have the right to complain about the uniform standards of our new folks. Until we get back to where our uniform standards used to be and everyone who has been here longer than 1.5 years leads by example, we only have ourselves to blame.

Where do you think the new hires get the idea the hat is optional? From us. Last time I checked, the FOM still requires the hat and don't give me the BS of "well it's practically optional because of that almost new policy 4 years ago." Until the entire pilot group wears the shirts, pants, sweaters, ties, epaulets and hat the way they're issued from m&h, we can only look at ourselves as setting a poor example for our new folks.

I saw a new 200 FO DH'ing on my plane a few months ago without his tie and wearing a hunting camo puffy vest. If I wasn't busy dealing with MELs, 45 people trying to get on the 34 seat saab (200 gowngrade), a missing FA and the weather, I would have said somethng to him.

The other problem is that our mgmt doesn't do anything to enforce our uniform standards. Unfortunately, I think it's too out of control for them to start enforcing. It's too bad, we used to really have a sharp looking pilot group.

Last edited:
I don't think as seasoned XJ pilots we have the right to complain about the uniform standards of our new folks. Until we get back to where our uniform standards used to be and everyone who has been here longer than 1.5 years leads by example, we only have ourselves to blame.

Where do you think the new hires get the idea the hat is optional? From us. Last time I checked, the FOM still requires the hat and don't give me the BS of "well it's practically optional because of that almost new policy 4 years ago." Until the entire pilot group wears the shirts, pants, sweaters, ties, epaulets and hat the way they're issued from m&h, we can only look at ourselves as setting a poor example for our new folks.

I saw a new 200 FO DH'ing on my plane a few months ago without his tie and wearing a hunting camo puffy vest. If I wasn't busy dealing with MELs, 45 people trying to get on the 34 seat saab (200 gowngrade), a missing FA and the weather, I would have said somethng to him.

The other problem is that our mgmt doesn't do anything to enforce our uniform standards. Unfortunately, I think it's too out of control for them to start enforcing. It's too bad, we used to really have a sharp looking pilot group.

As a newer XJ guy I couldnt agree more. I think just as many senior xj guys bend the rules as the youngins....if not more so.

With that said...I do agree that to go without a tie just looks silly, even if you arent wearing the stripes.

If we care so much about appearance, then how about cleaning the SAAB! Screw the hat clean the plane its embarrassing, oh and no more bolt ons. Set your alarm an extra ten minutes and tie a tie!

On the iPod note ... I see a lot of NWA guys walking around DTW with the stupid white earbuds and wires hanging down to their pockets. It looks horrible. So it's not just at regional level.

Hey! There is enough people around here trying to tell me what to do. If I want to listen to music or a ball game believe me after 30 years here that's what I'm going to do. You remind me of the manager that told the FA's not to eat ice cream cones. Get a life.

On the iPod note ... I see a lot of NWA guys walking around DTW with the stupid white earbuds and wires hanging down to their pockets. It looks horrible. So it's not just at regional level.
WTF those are "old school" hearing aids. They all flew the "lectra."

What's this about a hat? Being 135 I though those things were gone years ago.... I better rethink this whole 121 thing. SERIOUSLY???????

You can wear a hat....or carry a hat...or wait till you upgrade to start wearing a hat...or not wear a hat. Those seem to be most of the options regarding the hat.

Or maybe somebody from NWA FLT OPS will send down word to throw the dam things in the trash....LOL

If they require it I will wear it. I already hate the idea of wearing that thing though.

It seems there are only 2 types of pilots who like to wear that hat.
A) Bald pilots
B) Nerd pilots, the same type to wear a uniform (4 stripes) while flying a Seneca or Cirrus 135. Yes they do exist, and they suck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back