• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

for the XJ guys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as I know the only Saabs we've parked due to corrosion were a couple of old A models that were former express (Pinnacle) aircraft. When they painted them they stripped the old paint using unapproved methods (shocking I know) and this caused corrosion under the new paint. These were aircraft made about 1985-1987. Our oldest B+ (AC 402) was made in 1996 and still has factory paint, so we shouldn't have the same problem as the old express aircraft.

Nothing like following the "Mary Kay" planes in to Kalamazoo. The old pink Conquest Kal Aero (now Duncan) used for charter followed by one of the faded to pink Saabs.

Okay as for the trench coat, I have felt that cold winter breeze and the cold I felt on my back and for that matter my front was becuase of the trench coat. I used to have a leather coat i wore here in MN, I could wear that thing on the coldest days and even wear it on a barely chilly day in the spring.

To talk about hiring, well things have slowed. I am not in the know, but I have been told that they have cancelled any CRJ 200 ground schools they had planned until at least OCT. That sucks huh? As for other hiring, who knows, we are getting the remaining 900's (notice I did not call them "9's") and some have to go to the mighty Saab. I hear a few rumors, mostly from mechanic types. One is they think we will not get anymore 200's and possibly might lose them too. The other thing is that they are finding too much corrosion on the Saabs we have to think about keeping them. Did I also hear they had to park a couple because they were too badly corroded? Remember these are just rumors. But I will say, the first person to tell me the Avros were leaving "for sure" was a MEchanic. enough said.

The corroded saabs were A model's, they had multiple paint jobs for various operators and panel sealants were literally scraped from the seems with screw drivers chipping away the primer causing the corrosion, all the current saabs have original factory paint so its not an issue.

The corroded saabs were A model's, they had multiple paint jobs for various operators and panel sealants were literally scraped from the seems with screw drivers chipping away the primer causing the corrosion, all the current saabs have original factory paint so its not an issue.

Not all Saabs have the original factory paint. There are many Saabs that were repainted to match the new NWA paint scheme.

Not all Saabs have the original factory paint. There are many Saabs that were repainted to match the new NWA paint scheme.
I assume the "all" he used was referring to "all" the Saabs that XJ currently has. All of these have original factory paint. 402-457 were all received new from the factory. The only exception is 407 which is "silver" like the current NWA paint scheme.

439 & 441 are the original paint jobs they came with when brand new. I stand corrected on 407 being the only one repainted in the new NWA scheme. I thought there were a 1/2 dozen or so flying around like that.

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back