• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For SWA Poolies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have 11 days off during the April-May carry over. So I was legal for just about ANYTHING. I was in LAS for 3 days over the weekend for my Bachelor Party. I was called 9 times for JA just out of MDW! CRAZY! That was the most I have ever been called in almost 4 years.

While utilization is obviously one main component of hiring, you also need to ask what the future "optimum" manning is going to be. Did SWA have it right in 2008, or were they too lean or too fat? After the wicked pullback of the economy in 2008, I think many airlines will be slower to hire extra bodies and will accept hiring amouts of "premium" flying, even when flying returns to former levels. What was "normal" in 2007 may no longer be the normal manning equation. There will be fewer jobs, but those jobs will likely be more lucrative.

As for a merger with AirTran... With everyone is a rush to "get big" right now, does anyone think that the smaller niche carriers might actually have some advantages? The city pairs that originally had DL/NW competion or CAL/UAL competition probably have a lot higher yields now. Once those yields get to a certain level, companies like SWA, FL, and B6 can offer services and compete on both price and service. I'm a pilot--not an airline analyst, but if the majors going from 4 to 2 increases prices on some routes, it opens doors for more competition from SWA. Being nimble might just be more profitable that being big for the next few years... (insert crude sexual allegory here).

Albie,

SWA's efficiency in terms of duty day, trips for pay, hrs flown was around its optimum in mid-2008. Griping by some we were working too hard but the bottom line was SWAPA pilots were the most productive they have ever been and were making the most money....fast forward to now when we have received pay increases and other "soft pay" increases with JA, VJA, charter, overfly pay....the question below is a tough one to answer.

How hungry will our pilots be if we're getting paid more per hour now than then? Will the pilots go back to that work schedule? Will SWA pilots become what is the industry standard, "pay the most, work the least" and expect management to live with that? Who knows.

Not trying to be sanctimonious and while we ALL joke about that philosophy, nearly all of the SWA pilots realize it is counter productive to a healthy business model for an airline or any business.

The last point you made is very valid, case in point with this bit of free market pricing by USAir and UAL.

A walkup fare for this Friday, May 7 from BOS-PHL (273 miles) non-stop on US Air, $1127 and UAL.

A 3 week out fare for Friday, May 28 from BOS-PHL non-stop on US Air, UAL, $1127.

You can pay less, $246 on both dates for 1 stop service on both carriers but for 273 miles, who wants to do that!!!

Fly on June 27, 2010 on either US Airways or UAL and the fare drops to $159.40 on 6 of their 11 non-stop flights.

The other 5 flights vary in price from $167 to $206 for non-stop service.

UAL 5 lowest non-stop flights are $189.41 and the lone other non-stop is at $643 (around 4 PM...will point out later why this is important).

Fees for baggage, drinks, food are as follow:
1st bag 2nd bag Preferred seating
$25$35$5–$30• Beverage/Snack $2–$7
• Oversize/Overweight bag $100–$200

Why the change? Price of oil dropping? Employees working for free? Nope, you guessed it.....

On Sunday, June 27 SWA begins service from BOS-PHL with 5 flights a day! Great news for PHL and BOS pax. :cool::beer:

Lowest fare on the Southwest.com website is $159.40 with the most expensive listed (fully refundable) $321.40.

No bag fees, no fee for food/non-alcohol drinks, $15-$20 for business select to be among the first 15 persons to board.

SWA has a gap between 2:30 PM and 6 PM of no flights...i.e. UAL squeezes in their very affordable $643 fare then...hope the businessman really needs to travel then...BOS-PHL commuters, I just found your preferred flight to fly on starting June 27th, your welcome.

There are city pairings out there that are dominated by the other carriers that SWA is not flying. Once SWA can optimize the schedule even more and re-flow resources to those, SWA will be able to capture market share and start winning more pax over.

With shrinkage (no Seinfield jokes please, my wife would be embarrassed) occurring in overall seats as a result of UAL-CAL, DAL-NWA, it allows SWA and other low cost carriers do have the opportunity to gain some % of those seats. 1% gain equals $800m for SWA.

What's the bet that SWA be the largest carrier between BOS-PHL in the next year? Just one simple example that proves your point Albie (Yoda). Not bad for an airline pilot and fighter guy too!!

Last edited:
For those who haven't seen the most recent numbers of domestic shares:

UAL 17.7 % (after merger)
DAL 16.1 %
SWA 14.6%
AA 13.9%
USA 7.9%

The remaining 29.8% is flown by AAI, AK, Allegiant, Jetblue, Spirit and Frontier planes (not the RJ partners for other mainline, ie. Republic RJs).

I was in Boston this week. We have 2 gates. 3 starting soon and 5 by the end of summer. Our 5 flights a day PHL/BOS has already been expanded (even before launch of service) to 8 flights a day starting August 16th!

Somebody grab a towel to dry the poolies!

Get 'er done,
Gup

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back