• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

For AMR, a Pilot-Salary Fight Looms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
(There are year 1-2 BUS Fo's at FedEX making 128 an hour as well...)

So the 8/9 year guys at AA aren't year 8/9 777 FOs, but rather year 5/6 year 73-8 captains making 154 hour?

I guess that's OK then.

Ummm.....I'm fairly certain that there are no 5 year Captains at AMR, seeing as how there a couple guys in my squadron that have been there 14+ years and are still 1000+ numbers away from Capt (and that's on the MD-80!).

Jr AA CA is a mid 1990 hire. Yes you can blame stagnation... but the main reason our upgrades have been so long is because of the damned "up or out" policy. This results in tons of F/Os who still must upgrade and serve their one year as CA, and then if they want they can go back to F/O for life. It is AA's way of getting around age discrimination, and it SUCKS! It also results in certain pilots upgrading who have no business upgrading.

(There are year 1-2 BUS Fo's at FedEX making 128 an hour as well...)

So the 8/9 year guys at AA aren't year 8/9 777 FOs, but rather year 5/6 year 73-8 captains making 154 hour?

I guess that's OK then.

It's been at least 6 years since a 737 CA bid went lower the 17 years of seniority. Recently, most 777 FO bids went senior to that.

17 years as a 777 FO get you a few weekend relief FO lines out of MIA, maybe 1 or 2 lines out of ORD. LGA will get you about 20 lines to choose from. Forget any cushy 9 day months to Asia, those lines go way senior.

At the moment, bottom CA is LGA S80D. It's running at 17 years only because guys holding reinstatement rights from 2001-2. Otherwise, bottom CA at any other base is close to 18 years.

At most places, we live and die by seniority. Right now, about 1/3 of the AA list, all FO's, are generally in the lower end of career earnings of most legacy's and LCC's based on years of sevice and the ability to make Captain.

We even had idiots in our union publish how well our 12 year S80 FO pay ranked compared to other companies FO's while ignoring the 6-8 year upgrades elsewhere.

It's "sweet" if you're 15 years old and cutting grass and dreaming of flying for AA. That's the place to be for this place for the best seniority placement.;)

Ben,

Since you asked I won't vote for anything less than 5% raise EACH year of the contract and 10% 401k match with no upper limit. For starters. And the company is on the hook for retro pay since last August.

Gup

Unfortunately the legacy carriers now make much less than Fedex so we can't compare airplane pay any more.

The majority of that group averages 50 years old with families, living in areas where the cost of living generally isn't the lowest.

Dallas Forth Worth is below the national average in cost of living, FWIW. As the national average income is approximately $60,000, I'd say $115,000 is well above middle income. The average DOCTOR in the DFW Metroplex doesn't make $115K.

Dallas Forth Worth is below the national average in cost of living, FWIW. As the national average income is approximately $60,000, I'd say $115,000 is well above middle income. The average DOCTOR in the DFW Metroplex doesn't make $115K.

You're right. I left out DFW as a balancing factor in what I posted.

They generally have been one of the problems for APA getting raises. A good part of the union leadership lives there and many can't seem to understand why pilots at every other crew base have a problem finding a 3500 sq/ft pool home for 275K, <30 minutes from sign in. ;)

Ben,

Since you asked I won't vote for anything less than 5% raise EACH year of the contract and 10% 401k match with no upper limit. For starters. And the company is on the hook for retro pay since last August.

Gup

Bravo! I wish the best for you guys.. There was a time that I would have said that ALL LCC's were the bane of our profession, but the truth is, WN has held the bar up for pax carriers pretty much the past few years, and to their credit, are not giving up on deserved improvements.. especially to your QOL.

The fact is gentleman, there is a REAL shortage of qualified, experienced, and clean (FAA and training records) pilots developing, and it may well be time for us to take control of the downward spiral that has been happening for 5 years now.

Latest resources

Back