Flying to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LegacyDriver said:
They always degenerate into flamefests cuz g-string pilots refuse to admit the deficiencies in their airplane. :)

People who've never flown Gulfstreams just don't get it! Ask any former Gulfstream pilot about the non-Gulfstream airplane they fly now and the first thing you'll hear in a wistful and longing voice is, "Well, it ain't a Gulfstream."

The reality is that airplanes break. Legacies are no exception. Legacies are new at the moment but that will change. So will the economy in Brasil. That oughtta add some interesting flavor to the DOCs.

I have yet to be grounded in a G in ten years of flyin' 'em. There are only a few things that will do it rock solid. Other than that, the MEL says you can break half the plane and still get it hom from the other side of the world. that's a nice warm fuzzy for me. I don't like having an impaired airplane to fly but fly, it I will if I need to.

TIS

I fly with a guy who is typed in and flown the II, III, and IV as well as the Slowtation X and he expresses no regrets re: leaving the Gulfstream world. He b*tches all the time wanting his X back though--he is some sort of speed freak.

As for the question about KSMO... Zero wind, 25 C, 4800 feet of runway...Legacy is limited to 45000 lbs at takeoff for E TO power.

So, use actual weights or leave behind a little gas, or go earlier in the day. Even leaving some gas behind (15K instead of 15500) you still make TEB easily. FL 410 capability is coming and that will eventually help the range when we get the pressurization software so the gas will not be an issue soon regardless.

Wow, a Legacy pilot calling it a "Slowtation X". C.Y. you are a crazy dude! Swift did not buy 50 Legacies, they realized after very lack luster interest, they stuck to their 25 firm orders and let the 25 options slide. They knew a stinker when they saw one! Also, will that thin skinned third world Jet pop if they pump it up any more. FL410 in a regional jet? We've seen what happens when you do that!

Last edited:
What is your source? Minw say Swift bought fifty firm.

Thin-skinned? I think you must be confusing yourself with that tiny G-String landing gear strut. Looks like a pencil. I thought you could land it on a carrier! Not! Legacy gear looks like a telephone pole by comparison.

Time will tell with the airplane. It is not the highest priority on EMB's list these days with the debut of the 170...

Okay, a few things here

LegacyDriver said:
I fly with a guy who is typed in and flown the II, III, and IV as well as the Slowtation X and he expresses no regrets re: leaving the Gulfstream world.
I never said anything about regret! I just implied that when one thinks of a GIII and the climb at max gross one remembers fondly what real performance is! RR Spey - Britain's equivalent of the J79. Can't beat that!

LegacyDriver said:
FL 410 capability is coming and that will eventually help the range when we get the pressurization software so the gas will not be an issue soon regardless.
Uhh, you need software to operate at FL410? That's a problem right there! That you can't go to FL450 is another. I guess you're down there with all the airliners banging around wishing you could go higher. Me? I just go there! No software required! Just a nice source of AC power (but DC'll do - in a pinch).

LegacyDriver said:
I think you must be confusing yourself with that tiny G-String landing gear strut. Looks like a pencil. I thought you could land it on a carrier! Not! Legacy gear looks like a telephone pole by comparison.
Umm, let's not forget who designed and originally built that landing gear you seem to think is so wimpy. That would be a GRUMMAN product. That company built more carrier-based aircraft than any other aircraft manufacturer in U.S. history. They didn't call the factory the Bethpage Iron Works for nothing you know! I think that's about enough said about the landing gear, don't you? They work just fine for me.

And one last item. We have the windows. Anyone whose seen 'em knows what I'm talking about. Everyone else has those PUNY girlie-man windows - yawh. There's no view of the world like the one you get from a Gulfstream.

Zero compromise! No one else can say that - PERIOD!

TIS

The software has to do with EICAS warnings and so forth. You can take any EMB to 410 as it is now, but Miss Embraer will yell at you. There is also a mod to the outflow valves.

The original 145 was a 370 max airplane cuz that is what RJs were made for. The Legacy was originally 390. Testing and customer requests got EMB to raise it to 410. The 170 is 410 out of the box.

To get the Legacy to 410 the software needs an update. One disk. Voilla it's done. I believe auto-pressurization schedule information is also involved but don't quote me on it.

Heck you can take a Legacy to 510 if you want, but it wasn't designed to do it and I am sure that eventually you will pop a window out, just like taking a G-IV to 65,000 isn't going to be good for it for long.

LegacyDriver said:
Heck you can take a Legacy to 510 if you want, but it wasn't designed to do it and I am sure that eventually you will pop a window out, just like taking a G-IV to 65,000 isn't going to be good for it for long.
You may have lost some credibility with that statement. Max differential is Max differential whether you’re at FL240 or FL510.

501261 said:
You may have lost some credibility with that statement. Max differential is Max differential whether you’re at FL240 or FL510.
True, but max differental has nothing to do with how high you can fly an airplane.

LegacyDriver said:
NO WAY IN HELL are you going to get that wing, at that weight, with that engine to FL510. The wing is a budget piece of crap. There is no way the pressure vessel could be pumped up enought to hold a reasonable cabin. Its not strong enough. Now, if you redesigned the wing, put bigger motors on it and then required all on board to wear pressure suits, now you'd have a performer. But now the cost would be approaching 35 million, and we all now how that would work out. Pax in a Gulfstream don't have to wear pressure suits!

Hey Xrated,I think they should trade those Legacies in for BBJ's. Got to love those Boeings Baby!;)

Latest resources

Back