Flying to Hawaii

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One note for planning

Do not flight plan at your highest or most efficient altitude. Flight plan at least 4,000 feet lower. You can sometimes get pinned down for hours due to traffic in the non radar environment. Also this will compensate for stronger than average winds. 50 kts average would make a good plan if you flight plan average of 4,000 low. Also remember to calculate ETP's, and their resultant fuel problems. Having to drop down to 10,000 in the middle due to depressurization can have significant implications to some engine types. Three engine aircraft, do not forget a single engine ETP, check to make sure that you can maintain altitude at least 2,000 feet at the weight you are operating at on one engine. In a DC-10-10 you would splash at some weights if you failed to dump, and also run out of fuel because you had to dump. About a 70 -100 mile zone in the middle where if you lost two engines you were going to splash.
Flew this segment for years, just my .02

Peanut

LegacyDriver said:
They always degenerate into flamefests cuz g-string pilots refuse to admit the deficiencies in their airplane. :)

Yes, I recall that the only deficiencies that you could come up with were that the G550 was too technologically advanced and that the baggage area on a jet designed for 19 passengers was only 226 cu.ft instead of the 240 cu ft. baggage area on your 50 passenger airliner.

GV

GVFlyer said:
Yes, I recall that the only deficiencies that you could come up with were that the G550 was too technologically advanced and that the baggage area on a jet designed for 19 passengers was only 226 cu.ft instead of the 240 cu ft. baggage area on your 50 passenger airliner.

GV
Perhaps those and the two and half of one is same $ for one of the other concept.......!!!!!

Anyway, we agree .... too disagree... (except that they are both aircraft that should be evaluated depending upon the role required)

For this trip with 8 pax to Hawaii a Legacy should be an interesting option. Same rangeas a F50Ex pretty much, and the bigger cabin for 8 pax may be attractive.

Now, where did I leave that nomex underwear...? :D TC

As one of my fellow captains remarked the other day (he has been a Captain on the 2,3,4, Lear, Falcon-multiple models of each)... "The Legacy is the most reliable airplane you will ever fly. I have never been stranded in a Legacy...not so for a Gulfstream.". Another said this: "Eighty percent for fifty percent baby.". I liked that.

In my current capacity I rescue stranded Gulfstream and Challenger clients from far away destinations on a regular basis. I have yet to call a Gulfstream to pick up one of my clients...

The numbers are out there and the dispatch reliability for the Legacy is second to none.

LegacyDriver said:
As one of my fellow captains remarked the other day (he has been a Captain on the 2,3,4, Lear, Falcon-multiple models of each)... "The Legacy is the most reliable airplane you will ever fly. I have never been stranded in a Legacy...not so for a Gulfstream.". Another said this: "Eighty percent for fifty percent baby.". I liked that.
It's interesting that you don't reference any current Gulfstream models in your post, but it doesn't matter. Current Gulfstream Dispatch Reliability rates are:

GIV/G300/G400 - 99.85%

GV/G500/G550 - 99.75%

For those with My Gulfstream access, these figures are available on the Customer Website. For NBAA members these figures may be confirmed with that organization.

You continually comment about the price of Gulfstreams. The Gulfstream is what is termed a Wall Sreet Premium Branded Product. The Gulfstream is sometimes less expensive to own and operate than some smaller aircraft because of it's retained value. Look at the current prices of pre-owned Gulfstreams. How are Jungle Jets maintaining value on the used market? (rhetorical question - no answer required)

LegacyDriver said:
In my current capacity I rescue stranded Gulfstream ... clients from far away destinations on a regular basis.
Why? Gulfstream will run a Customer Accomodation Flight if a warrantied jet can't perform it's mission within necessary time constraints and the customer requests it. I can recall flights to Taipei, Tokyo and Capetown. Refresh my memory about the Gulfstream support flights to the Pacific Rim or South Africa that you have flown in your Legacy.

Additionally, for domestic support Gulfstream has a unique service - the company has a G100 on 24/7/365 standby for parts/maintenance support within the continental United States and the Carribean for all Gulfstream aircraft.

LegacyDriver said:
I have yet to call a Gulfstream to pick up one of my clients...
I'll hook you up with Gulfstream Charter Services. They'll be happy to help you out.

LegacyDriver said:
The numbers are out there and the dispatch reliability for the Legacy is second to none.
What are the Legacy dispatch reliability percentages and where do I go to confirm them?

GV

Last edited:
LegacyDriver said:
In my current capacity I rescue stranded Gulfstream and Challenger clients from far away destinations on a regular basis. I have yet to call a Gulfstream to pick up one of my clients...
If I were YOU, I would not either ......:rolleyes:

Haven't had to. Legacy doesn't break!

But the ppl getting on always go, "Wow! This is a nice jet!". They don't seem to mind that I don't have FIVE IRSs when two are more than enough.

Eighty for fifty.

G100-Good advice (as usual). We got the info from Universal. Thanks to everyone else for the tips.

Play nice or I'll take my thread and go home.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back