• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying Struck Work???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay, i'll bite. First of all it's not wrong, nor is it right for that matter. It's simply free market capitalism at work.

But, for the internet idiots here, i'll say it one last time. What's happening is not wrong or the fault of the pilots at Republic. It's simply a further reduction of our passion and livelihoods and just sad. . .
Seriously, folks are trying to call them scabs or alter-ego, whatever. If you want a single word, call it what it is: "outsourcing."

It's legal, it's common practice throughout the industry. You really think Republic is the first airline to contract for previously mainline held routes?

A large portion of the RJ's in the US were built to replace 727's that were retired shortly after 2001. Thank heavens for scope clause too, or else we'd see airlines outsourcing to "regionals" flying boeings and airbus.

In an ideal world, airlines would only outsource to take advantage of an operation they are unable to feasably provide (ie turboprop service). Unfortunately, we have such a pilot surplus that airlines abuse cheap labor, and outsource to save a few bucks.

Lawful strike? It's my understanding that if you are not in Sec 6 negotiations and under oversight of the NMB that a collective bargaining unit can strike anytime they want.

No, not even close. You can only strike when the NMB has released you. Period. Strikes outside of a lawful release by the NMB are prohibited by the RLA. The only possible exception is if your contract is abrogated by a bankruptcy court, but we haven't tested that legal theory, yet.

You may not be an official alter-ego, but you will be Doing Business As an alter-ego the first flight you take under Midwest colors. It's easy to say that you don't make the decisions, that your management does, but who is flying the airplane? In my book, that is a decision that you make! Even Dr. Phil could see through that one!

First, it isn't my company. I'm just defending these guys that are getting trashed unfairly. Second, what do you expect them to do? Refuse to fly? They'll get fired, and the law won't protect them since it won't be a legal strike. Don't fight battles that you can't win.

No, not even close. You can only strike when the NMB has released you. Period. Strikes outside of a lawful release by the NMB are prohibited by the RLA. The only possible exception is if your contract is abrogated by a bankruptcy court, but we haven't tested that legal theory, yet.

First, it isn't my company. I'm just defending these guys that are getting trashed unfairly. Second, what do you expect them to do? Refuse to fly? They'll get fired, and the law won't protect them since it won't be a legal strike. Don't fight battles that you can't win.
\

Regarding the strike, I think you are wrong.

Regarding getting fired for refusing to fly, if every pilot says NO, what are they going to do, fire all of them?

Last edited:
\

Regarding getting fired for refusing to fly, if every pilot says NO, what are they going to do, fire all of them?

In a word, yes. Your choice is to work or resign. PCL128 is correct, don't pick fights you cannot win.

DC

\

He is right about the strike. They can't just walk out.

The RAH pilots can't even agree on what color their union bag tags should be (red, yellow, green). You think they will all say "NO".

LMFAO!!!!

Not trying to slam on RAH here, I think you would be hard pressed to find 100% of any pilot group that would just "refuse" to fly.

Yeah, I guess all that training I received from ALPA National on this subject when I was a rep was just wrong. I should have just called Speedtape and got his excellent legal opinion instead. :rolleyes:

Every pilot wouldn't refuse. Maybe 100 would, at most, if the effort was sufficiently organized at the grass roots. And yes, the company would certainly fire every last one of them. These emotional reactions to circumstances need to stop from pilots. You need to think things through and develop coherent strategies that will actually work. Grandiose dreams of 2000+ pilots refusing to fly work that they can't legally refuse are just counter-productive.

In a word, yes. Your choice is to work or resign. PCL128 is correct, don't pick fights you cannot win.

DC

Thats's weak! Yeah, let's just let management win and cannabilize our industry! Let's see--that makes us Tools!

Is your job safe?

Yeah, I guess all that training I received from ALPA National on this subject when I was a rep was just wrong. I should have just called Speedtape and got his excellent legal opinion instead. :rolleyes:

Expert, maybe, you should go back and get some of that most excellent training. You may have missed something while in class.

Every pilot wouldn't refuse. Maybe 100 would, at most, if the effort was sufficiently organized at the grass roots. And yes, the company would certainly fire every last one of them. These emotional reactions to circumstances need to stop from pilots. You need to think things through and develop coherent strategies that will actually work. Grandiose dreams of 2000+ pilots refusing to fly work that they can't legally refuse are just counter-productive.

Sadly, you are probably correct. But it would not take 100 percent to make it work.

Quit lecturing me. You need to quit being so passive and so willing to grabbing your ankles. Is your job safe? There is nothing wrong with grandiose dreams. If a few, were not willing to dream--you certainly would be sitting and living in the dark. Maybe, the lightbulb will come on for you someday, Mr. Expert!

By the way, your alpa training qualifies you how to fill out an expense form and wear a silver pin!

Nevermind. I'm not going to argue with a fool. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back