Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nevermind. I'm not going to argue with a fool. :rolleyes:

Probably the best idea.

It is frightening how many people work in this industry who simply don't know how it works, legally speaking. No matter how many people want to do what Speedtape is professing, it is simply not feasible. You need the law on your side or else you are fighting a losing battle.

I'm sure the pilots at RAH thank your understanding of this situation and hope its a common sentiment among the majority of Midwest pilots.

Wait a minute.....

Unfortunately, we have such a pilot surplus that airlines abuse cheap labor, and outsource to save a few bucks.

Wait a minute..... I thought there was a serious pilot shortage, hence the need for age 65! Now you say there is a pilot surplus?????? Does not compute!

From an ALPA FAQ site: Why do I have to "Fly Now, Grieve Later" and why is my Union unable to stop this?
Simply put, the RLA and court decisions have held that employees must comply with an instruction from their direct supervisor, with a couple of exceptions. First, an employee may refuse an instruction that they reasonably believe to be unsafe. Second, an employee may refuse an order that is "clearly" a violation of the contract. Keep in mind, though, that if the Company can make a reasonable claim, whether they are right or wrong, that the Contract allows it, you should comply and grieve it later. In essence, the purpose of this rule applied to airlines is to keep planes moving and explains the overall purpose of the RLA. Thus, "fly now, grieve later" is a law and leaves a union unable to stop it.​
I am not sure what IBTs stance is, but isnt it ALPAs stated policy in contract violations, in cases involving unresolved issues, "Fly it, then grieve it, it is easier to fight a contract violation than a termination."

I was ALPA at a previous carrier, and we actually had a meeting with ALPA during indoc, (I know, a union showing up to greet its new members, shocking). That is what we were told at that time. Granted it was 2000, but that was the policy then. So can RAH pilots be held to a higher standard than ALPAs own policy?

Last edited:
Copied from an RAH internal bulletin board:

(Edited for brevity and to protect identities on a public board)

...a little guidance here if it is available, please....

...Those of us who were assigned Midwest trips (even though we tried to bid around them; ) are we to do the "fly it and grieve shuffle" or are we to refuse the flying as illegal...?

I would love to be told I am not to...

So what do we do? Gene's letter to BB is pretty clear that we consider this flying a violation of the contract. What is the position of the leadership regarding whether we have the legal standing to refuse it?

If we do not have the legal standing to refuse the flying, it would be a help to have documentation on letterhead stating the position of the leadership so I can display it (along with my copy of the grievance paperwork, my black arm band and my inverted American Flag) to the MEH crews....

Last edited:
Like any union could do a better job in this situation. More like this industry and the people running these companies suck.

Latest resources

Back