• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flying for a living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a career changer who spent 20 years bored and stressed out at a desk, dreaming about flying, but making good money, I can give you my perspecitve...

I already had 1500 hrs and CPL, AMEL, Inst ratings when I decided to make the career change. Still had trouble getting interviews, but after getting my CFI and 100hrs instruction that changed.

The first year my salary went from $170k to $15.9K. After 6 years I'm up to about $85k, half of what I left behind.

After six years my wife still hates me for giving up "our good life".

I have spent five of the last six years commuting.

I miss the $100 hamburgers and 3 day weekend getaways.

I miss going where I want, when I want.

I hate the politics of mgmt vs union.

But - The worst day flying is still better than the best day at the old job.

As a career changer who spent 20 years bored and stressed out at a desk, dreaming about flying, but making good money, I can give you my perspecitve...

I already had 1500 hrs and CPL, AMEL, Inst ratings when I decided to make the career change. Still had trouble getting interviews, but after getting my CFI and 100hrs instruction that changed.

The first year my salary went from $170k to $15.9K. After 6 years I'm up to about $85k, half of what I left behind.

And his wife is saying...... GET OUT!

follow your dream, you only come this way once.

No, i haven't been drinking ......we all have our story.....it sounds like you have a yearning....do it....see where it leads....I assume you're young so nothing ventured, nothing gained. have your eyes wide open...

Please don't take this the wrong way but..... YOU'RE NUTS! Glad you're happy though. Wish there were more like you that had some sort of perspective on what the rest of the world has to offer. I get tired of these guys ranting about how terrible it is only to find out, they've never done anything else. Straight out of college into aviatio. Sheesh.

AMEN Bro! AMEN,

I would not go back to the office for double what they were paying me when I left for a job that paid less than my tax bill used to be.

What people who Biatch about flying BS (mgt especially) don't realize is that it's the SAME Krap no matter what you do. Mgt treats themselves even worse than they do the worker bees! When you are on salary they think they own you and are not hesitant to remind you of this. You are lucky to get two consecutive days off on a weekend and there is always work left undone. This job has a start, a stop, and NO homework. I did that in school, I don't want that as a way of life

Let's talk QOL for instance. I traveled a lot as an office drone. Not as much as now but I spent plenty of time in the back of the bus. I still have lots of travel as part of my job but I sit in First Class all the time (1st class = forward facing windows) and I don't have to go to those boring meetings when I reach the destination. I sit next to someone who is competetent, at least minimal intelligent, some of them know more about flying than I do (hard to believe :) LOL) and worse case paired with an Arschloch; I endure him for 4 days and never see him again. I don't listen to phones ringing with people constsantly trying to make their problems my problems.

In an office job TOTAL ignorance is no impediment to an expert opinion. Kind of like FlightInfo in that regards, except that in an office some of those total idiots are in higher management and can inflict their views on you. In this job total ignorance is not seen in the seat next to me.

The worse day flying is better than the best day at an office job, Don't you doubt it.

I am a professional and I fly for money. I wish more people would remember that. The problem is too many people getting into this career with unrealistic goals. Like spending $150,000 of money you do not have and will probably pay off the day you retire.

I really not happy that this point went right over everybody's head. Maybe that's the problem. You see, kiddies, he meant that more people need to quit ruining our lives by taking this job because it's just so darn neat. I'm trying to be a professional here! This means that I understand that these shiny, pointy things don't go anywhere without a couple of people like me in the front....and that's worth a decent lifestyle! Thank god I left the airlines.

I really not happy that this point went right over everybody's head. Maybe that's the problem. You see, kiddies, he meant that more people need to quit ruining our lives by taking this job because it's just so darn neat. I'm trying to be a professional here! This means that I understand that these shiny, pointy things don't go anywhere without a couple of people like me in the front....and that's worth a decent lifestyle! Thank god I left the airlines.

We're glad you left, also. That's the difference between 'pilots' and 'aviators'. If it's your job, then you probably suck at it. If it's your vocation, then you are probably the best. If you're doing it for the glamour and riches, you're in it for the wrong reason (like any job). I clear six figures, have a hot wife (who's a doctor) and absolutely love my work. Good Karma for anyone who is a real aviator happens.

So how do you feel about all the people lined up to take your job for 19K/yr?

How do you feel about the pilot-fueled race to the bottom?

I regard flying as an art. Flying jets as a perfect blend of art and science. I'm a "professional" because I take the time to be. It's important to me to carry myself as such (when I'm at work) and have the people for whom I work treat me like they want me to work for them. You know nothing about my work ethic or skills as a pilot.....but I can tell that you're a butthead.

The fact remains that you would probably not fly that airbus for the same money you flew a CRJ for. And if you would you're a hack. How's Compass gonna treat you?

Last edited:
I regard flying as an art. Flying jets as a perfect blend of art and science.

You must be a Butthead too, because you're quoting me.
Scarey, huh?
Sorry the airlines didn't work out for you. Nobodys' gonna fly my jet for 19k. Aviators at this level will see to it, trust me.

Latest resources

Back