Flying for a living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rbrady

How do you guys/gals that fly professionally like it? I have my private certificate with about 150tt and have been considering going pro. I work as a loan officer right now and it's the same old routine day after day. I think about aviation constantly and sit out at Lambert all the time listening to my scanner wishing I was in front of one of those jets. Does flying ever get old to you folks after you've been doing it for a while? In other words if you had it to do over again would you have done the same thing?

Thanks!

How do you guys/gals that fly professionally like it? I have my private certificate with about 150tt and have been considering going pro. I work as a loan officer right now and it's the same old routine day after day. I think about aviation constantly and sit out at Lambert all the time listening to my scanner wishing I was in front of one of those jets. Does flying ever get old to you folks after you've been doing it for a while? In other words if you had it to do over again would you have done the same thing?

Thanks!

Can you get me a job as a loan officer?

As a loan officer, you can appreciate the problems of trying to pay $40-80k in student loans on $20-25k a year.

Thanks!

Greetings..Yes, flying does get old and repeticious after a while just like anything else. Also being away from home, 5 am duty ins, airport food, hotel food, and traveling in general, all gets extremely old. The pay is not great, and you will be in debt FOREVER unless you have a slush fund somewhere to spend on flying. If it was me, I would stay where you are at and fly for leisure. It makes no sense to go into debt for a job that pays 19,000 a year to start and after 5 or 6 years you still will only be making 40K or so as the upgrades are long these days. Anyway just my opinion.

Make sure you're cool with never being home for the next 3, 5, 10, or 20 years.

This is the part of the job that I find the hardest to deal with. Very tough on family life, the pets, the lawn, etc.

Didn't really appreciate it until year 5, when I realized that this would pretty much be the norm for the rest of this career.

This is probably the worst website possible to ask that question. Everyone on here is pissed off at everyone and anything for some reason or another.

I love it... I'm 25, a CRJ CA, and making well over 60. The past few months I've had a minimum of 16 days off with only 3 years seniority. Last month I had 19 and this month I have 17- only gone 4 nights this month, though.

Our contract needs work definitely, but the company rarely calls me on my days off and if they do I ignore it and open up another beer.

I can't see myself doing any other job, personally.

Two furloughs, Two company shut downs (Corporate and pt 135), 15 years in the business and back looking for work yet again. Never seen 6 figures contrary to what my neighbors think by watching movies and the new, and I probably never will. And that includes a legacy airline, the first one i am furloughed from.

Airplanes flown, from a Cub to a 747, pretty much the smallest to the largest.

In short flying is great, a career in flying sucks.

Aside from the debt to income issues mentioned above, if you have fun going out to the airport, flying, bs-ing with other airport bums, then don't do it for a living. Have a real job that affords you the opportunity to fly on your own.

I know many other full-timers who, when they are home, don't go anywhere near an airport until they have to.

Baah Humbug! etc...

Latest resources

Back