Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UAL78 said:
Texasskicker,

So since we are "jackasses" and you seem to have all the answers to everything and nobody else knows anything and if they dare disagree with you they will get attacked, I'm going to help you out. Which way did you come in?

Go. Get the hell out and stay out. We don't want you here. Clear enough?

UAL78

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posts

YEAHHHH! (Loud whistling sound!!!) Finally.

Unfortunately, he'll be back with even more dung on his cow girl boots and sportin' a new name. That's why people like him live in TX, they need lot's of room for their heads.

:beer:

I’m glad texass is gone too-at least until he comes back as someone else anyway…but...
Does anyone feel like getting back to the subject of this threads title?
Anyone…anyone…Bueller?

I'm happy to comply with that request--

Jetsi said:
http://www.yourcompanyyouroptions.com/

From the latest AIN Alerts:

Flight Options Fights Union Drive
Since the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Local 1108 filed an application letter to the National Mediation Board (NMB) for representation of the 830 Flight Options pilots earlier this month, the fractional provider has increased efforts to thwart the union drive. It has set up a Web site to provide information to the pilot workforce about unions and, according to NMB filings, hired union-busting law firm Ford & Harrison. NMB rules prohibit Flight Options from interfering in the union election process, so the site’s content has been crafted so as to not portray an anti-union stance. However, it does explain how not to vote in the expected Flight Options union election, which would be conducted using a telephone electronic voting system. In a recent recorded message to the pilots, Flight Options COO and acting CEO S. Michael Scheeringa said, “While we believe in the pilots’ rights to make their own decisions regarding representation, we do not feel that it’s in the best interest to vote for Teamster representation.” Flight Options declined to comment. [URL="http://www.ainalerts.com/ainalerts/up_arrow.gif"]http://www.ainalerts.com/ainalerts/up_arrow.gif[/URL]

Man oh man, does that sure look familiar. Guess it worked so well for Raytheon the first time they figured they would give it a shot again.

If there are any fence sitters (and I don't see how their could be) think long and hard before the election.

Good luck to you all.

Jetsi

Adding my thoughts on the subject and my Best Wishes for your success! NJW

U NFAIR!
N OT RIGHT!
I HATE IT ALL!!
O UTSIDERS PAID,
N EVER EVEN CARING

B ETTING ON FAILURE,
U NDER-HANDED TACTICS
S EEN AS A NORMAL ROUTINE
T EARING DOWN YOUR EFFORTS
I NSTILLING FEAR AND SOWING DOUBT
G ATHER THOSE VOTES--FIGHT 'EM FLT OPS

Union Representation…..Much Easier To Get Rid OF Than To Get

Union Representation…..Much Easier To Get Rid OF Than To Get

There have been a number of posts in the vein of “vote in haste, repent at leisure”, cautioning us to be careful with our vote, lest we open the door to the Teamsters, then find it impossible to ask them to leave, should we decide that they are not all we had hoped.

With that thought in mind, a recent communication from our Company included a web link to www.unionfacts.com. On that website is a great deal of information about unions in general. Three useful pieces of information in particular are found on the link entitled “Union Decertification”. Keep in mind that, according to what we have been told, the Teamsters organization required a minimum of 65% of our pilots to request representation before they would agree to petition the NMB on our behalf; but according to the information presented on UnionFacts:

If at least 30 percent of the workers in the bargaining unit sign the petition, then it must be sent to the NLRB's closest regional office, along with a cover sheet, NLRB Form 502. Once the petitions have been received and validated, the NLRB will set a date for the decertification election, usually about 60 days in the future.”

So even though the Teamsters required almost 2/3 of the pilot force to ask for representation before they would even agree to petition the NMB; less than half that numberare required to petition for de-certification.

Further, should we actually petition for decertification:

“When the vote is held, if a majority of the workers who participate favor decertifying the union, or if the vote results in a tie, then the NLRB will officially remove the union's recognition as the bargaining representative of the workers.”

This means that even though our current vote to decide representation must carry by 50% + 1 vote in order for the Teamsters to be certified as our representative; according to the information posted on UnionFacts, even a simple 50-50 tie is sufficient for de-certification.

Even further:

Hundreds of polls are held each year to end representation by poor union leadership.

In 2004, workers successfully decertified poor representation in 65 percent of decertification elections, according to cases closed by the NLRB.”

It would appear, then, that de-certification is not only much easier than some would have us believe; but successfully accomplished much more often than one would have imagined. This new information should allay the fears of many who have voiced concerns in this regard.

Our concern should not be about whether we can get rid of the IBT if we are not satisfied; but rather: do we want to pass on the opportunity we currently have to decertify the total and abusive control which management presently exercises? Giving control back to the company, via union decertification, clearly would be much easier than our current effort to take control of our future, through representation and a contract.

Educate yourself: VOTE SMART

Respectfully,

FOOC IBT 1108
Pilots4Pilots

http://www.ibt1108.org/options/forum

What about these sayings---

The Tide Has Turned

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!

There's No Time Like The Present!

To those unsure about 1108: The longer you wait the more ground your families lose--- missed opportunities, decreased savings, and dreams put on hold---but it doesn't have to be that way. NJ families now have a brighter future because we stood together and demanded what the pilots have earned and our families deserved. Other frac families are just as deserving. Please don't let this opportunity to change your lives pass you by.

Making plans for the future,
Netjetwife

I can understand FLOPS pilots wanting to better their compensation and quality of life. What I don't understand is why they would want anything to do with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters who have a history of involvment with organized crime, corrupt leadership, forcing companies out of business, and prosecution under the RICO Act.

Non-profit organizations like the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association make a lot more sense than the very much for profit Teamsters. Why don't you form your own association as other pilot groups have done?

Virtually all Teamster's presidents have been indicted or gone to prison: Ron Carey, Jackie Pressor, Roy Williams, Frank Fitzsimmons, Jimmie Hoffa, Daniel Tobin, David Beck, and Farrell Dobbs.

James P. Hoffa has found a new way to raid the union coffers (Daddy did the Pension Fund), according to the Chicago Tribune:

"In the five years since Hoffa took over the union's leadership, the overall compensation for Teamsters officials earning $100,000 a year or more has grown by 125 percent...

The number of Teamsters officials earning $100,000 or more yearly has grown by 66 percent during that period..."

SS

Well seaspray if you could front us about a million in cash we would be happy to start our own inhouse union. We only have about 821 pilots and the number keeps decreasing rapidly. And we are all underpaid. That does not leave us much working capital to fight the company for a contract who by the way has a history of spending millions to keep out unions. I'm sure they are paying ford and harrison thousands of dollars a day to try and keep one out now.

With that in mind and with NetJets starting the 1108 local which is soley run by fractional pilots, and they got a pretty good contract, I don't think it's too difficult to see why we went with them. They have been helping us quite a bit, financially as well as with their time and sweat. And if we can get others to join 1108 as well that will make for a pretty stong voice in the fractional industry.

As far as the teamsters stealing money...they only get about 25 percent of our dues, the rest stay at the local. And 25 percent of crap is just that, crap. They will be spending way more on us helping us negotiate a contract than we will be giving them back for several years. So I think it's a pretty good deal.

Why Teamsters? Laying aside the fact that Flt Ops pilots are going to be very much in control of their fate by joining a Local comprised only of frac pilots and ran by frac pilots, your question can be answered. Starting with the suggestion of forming an employee organization like that at SWA. That is only possible because the pilots are treated with respect by SWA management, who pays them like the professionals they are. Although equally deserving, the Flt Ops pilots don't seem to have that relationship at their company. When you're being listened to it isn't necessary to raise your voice and wave your arms. It looks like the Flt Ops pilots have to do both and that requires money--dues. When you compare Teamsters to a union like ALPA, the frac pilots get a better deal. A much smaller portion of the collected dues is sent to national than at other unions. 1108 was satisfied with the return on their dues--at the Local level and with help/advice received from Teamsters. I witnessed some of that help, myself, at Omaha where the NJ pilots kicked off their picketing campaign.

It is obvious that the anti-union side has a weak argument against frac pilots joining 1108. You don't argue the case on its own merits, like 1108's excellent track record, and you make comparisons that don't apply, like SWA. You turn a deaf ear to all the NJ pilots who have told you that they have enjoyed a great return on their union investment. Would you have us believe that 2000 plus pilots made a bad decision to form their own Local and that the contract they won wasn't worth fighting for? That is the group that Options pilots will be joining. Debate the issue, if you must, but at least keep it fair.

Latest resources

Back