Flight school sued for $50,000,000

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimNtexas

According this AIN article, a flight school is being sued for $50,000,000 for negligance related to an accident in which a 32 hour pre-solo student and CFI were killed flying an ILS in 200-1/2 conditions.

The NTSB Report is here.

I read the article this AM, and it is just sad.

It struck me as odd that they were burning up so much flight time, in what appeared to be a relatively short time.

There was no reason for a primary student to be up in that kind of stuff. also 32 hours of training in 8 days. That seems like to accelerated. One of the points was they were trying to clock time on him, but I don't see that unproductive time was worthwhile. Also, you would think that someone who was in that accelerated a program would have soloed (sp??)

That was a pretty nasty day...

NO WAY a student pilot or a 172 needed to be out in that. It wasn't pop-up weather, it was forecast to be nasty, rainy, windy, windshear type of day. Surface winds weren't too bad - 15-25kts- but the winds at 2000' were forecast to be 40-60kts with mod+ turb.

wont be hard to convince a jury of extreme negligence here, IMHO.

Last edited:
Milkdud99 said:
IFR with a private????

Sure, every private pilot needs 3 hours of instrument training. Most of the time that is done with a hood on, but I always tried to get that time done in actual IMC.

Of course, there are limits to the weather I'd do this in, and 200 and 1/2 are below them. 400 and 1 are probably the lowest I'd take a student pilot up in.

Class Bravo training - was the primary airport in class Bravo? Cross-countries, uncontrolled airport operations (implies they also had controlled airport operatons) - and the student did not solo?

Seems a lack of consistency in the training, too much overall training, not enough focused training.

No matter from whom I may get pressure (outside, inside, student, parents, bill payer) I always remember that it is my decision-making, my teaching, my future on the line when I make a decision, even when that decision may potentially cost me my livelyhood.

The most sad part of this story is the two of them made is so close to a landing... then...

Milkdud99 said:
IFR with a private????

SURE! to get out out of a small area of ground fog to get to good VFR to train, then shoot a fun (say 500-1) approach back in...good experience...

but to tangle with LLWS of 60kts, Mod+turb and 200-1/2 rainy in a 172 with a pre-solo student --- thats not training, some may call it borderline homicide.

Whirlwind said:
Sure, every private pilot needs 3 hours of instrument training. Most of the time that is done with a hood on, but I always tried to get that time done in actual IMC.

Of course, there are limits to the weather I'd do this in, and 200 and 1/2 are below them. 400 and 1 are probably the lowest I'd take a student pilot up in.

so ur saying... that in ur private training you went up in actual on an IFR clearance????? Although the FAR's dont say anything about simulated instrument, going up in actual with a student who can plan a Xcountry sounds stupid to me... but what do i know LOL

Milkdud99 said:
so ur saying... that in ur private training you went up in actual on an IFR clearance????? Although the FAR's dont say anything about simulated instrument, going up in actual with a student who can plan a Xcountry sounds stupid to me... but what do i know LOL

FAR from stupid, it shows them how that "mystery" of IFR works. Are you doing more than the bare minimum needed for a Private?...maybe...and if you are working with a student who is on a BARE bones flying budget (I didnt) - OK, maybe its a bit much...but every student I have worked with learned A LOT from the experience...and learned how important an Instrument rating is....and many went right on to add that rating. Thats a safe, long term pilot.

They see it, understand how it works, and respect it. To me that is 100X better than some turns under a farkin' hood anyday!

Latest resources

Back