• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetwash

Pilot Accused of Sexual Assault
Man Contends Encounter Was Consensual

POSTED: 5:16 am EDT August 3, 2005
UPDATED: 2:23 pm EDT August 3, 2005
JONESBORO -- A commercial freelance pilot was in custody Wednesday after he was accused of sexually assaulting a teenaged girl Tuesday in the stairwell of Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
Michael Darren Matthews, 39, of Daytona, Fla., was being held at the Clayton County Jail in connection with the alleged assault of the 16-year-old girl, who was not identified. Matthews was expected to appear Wednesday afternoon in a Clayton court for a preliminary hearing.
Atlanta police were called to the C Concourse Tuesday afternoon after the teen asked for help. The girl told authorities that she was sexually assaulted in a stairwell after getting off of a plane.
She was taken to Hughes-Spalding Hospital for treatment after the incident. It was not immediately clear if the stairwell was restricted to public access.
Authorities said the man was on his way to Cleveland, Ohio to pilot a corporate plane and was traveling through Atlanta. The man was employed by a firm called Flight Options. The two apparently met on the flight from Florida to Atlanta, and were seat mates.
Authorities said the Matthews was wearing his pilot's uniform, which was confiscated by investigators, at the time of the alleged incident.
Sources told Channel 2 Action News that the man contends the encounter was consensual.
The grandmother of Matthews told reporters in Florida that she was shocked by the allegations.
"I know that a lot of kids blame things on people," said Barbara Matthews. "I hope this is the problem. Maybe it's not. I don't know. I'm not the kind of grandmother who would protect him if he's done wrong. He's certainly old enough to know better."

Whoops. We are promoting non-federal offenses at our company. Sexual harassment is okay, but smuggling X on our airplanes is bad. He was practicing for all the tail walking around hdq. in CGF.

Note: Sexual harassment is not okay. Flight Options doesn't condone committing crimes. I'm just making fun of this guy because he TOTALLY deserves it.

P.S. Damm, he's a junior guy too, so I won't move up any seniority numbers when he's fired.

EDIT: This post was COMLETELY in jest. EVEN the P.S. part. For those of you Options guys who don't have a sense of humor (you know who you are, ahem, Guido) I WAS KIDDING. Lighten up. Your job is starting to ruin you.

Last edited:
I used to commute from DAB also, but I came from travel air, and DAB is a Tier 3 airport, how did this guy get DAB since he was not former TA, if I remember, DAB guys at FO had to commute out of MCO, too bad, he would have had to commute out of MCO and now he will have an extended vacation with his Grandma, I guess he will be using Grannies SS money to live off of with her

Here is a link that has a mug photo of him: http://www.news4jax.com/news/4802642/detail.html

Last edited:
Something tells me if he's convicted, he won't be needing Gramma's money to survive. Some street smarts and self defense would come in handy in the Georgia state prison. Although, as a teen-rapist those skills probably won't come in very handy either. Either way, he's facked.

I am having a hard time imagining how this happened in a public stairway at ATL.

But here is an interesting part:

In a four-minute hearing today, Matthews told a skeptical judge he could not afford an attorney despite his occupation as a pilot.

“I know most people think [pilots] make a $100,000 a year, but it's not like that where I work. I make $36,000 a year divided by 12,” Matthews said.

El Chupacabra said:
I am having a hard time imagining how this happened in a public stairway at ATL.

But here is an interesting part:

In a four-minute hearing today, Matthews told a skeptical judge he could not afford an attorney despite his occupation as a pilot.

“I know most people think [pilots] make a $100,000 a year, but it's not like that where I work. I make $36,000 a year divided by 12,” Matthews said.

He can certainly afford it. Most lawyers today take Amex and Visa.

The sad part for this guy is that if he is convicted of rape, he will go to prison, get raped himeself in prison from guys who need a new boyfriend, and when he gets out he will have to list himself as a rapist with the police dept. no matter where he decides to live due to federal law, this will stick with him for life, what a way to mess up your life and career

And for what it is worth, most inmates hate rapist

Flight Options seems to have the cream of the crop, I remember there being 2 other pilots who where arrested a few months back, they were smuggling in drugs from Germany while working for the ANG, and one of them was a captain for options

Last edited:
batsky2000 said:
I used to commute from DAB also, but I came from travel air, and DAB is a Tier 3 airport, how did this guy get DAB since he was not former TA, if I remember, DAB guys at FO had to commute out of MCO

A few of us FO guys used to commute out of DAB long before the merger.

According to another article, his address(I assume on his certificates) was listed as DAB, but he lived in TLH or PCB area....or somewhere up in the panhandle. I forget exactly where it said.

Latest resources

Back