Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OT mutha fudga

some people need OT to survive (like guys on the flex for example),

I agree that names shouldn't be called out like this either, but I DO disagree with you. . .

If you cannot afford to live based on what the company tells you you will be making, don't take the job. I used to do a little OT here and there but not in the last 2+ years. As an SIC (not on the flex but still underpaid) I am able to live within my means WITHOUT overtime. I don't buy the excuse. Nobody should EVER count on OT at ANY job to make ends meet.

I agree that names shouldn't be called out like this either, but I DO disagree with you. . .

If you cannot afford to live based on what the company tells you you will be making, don't take the job. I used to do a little OT here and there but not in the last 2+ years. As an SIC (not on the flex but still underpaid) I am able to live within my means WITHOUT overtime. I don't buy the excuse. Nobody should EVER count on OT at ANY job to make ends meet.

ok now explain how to get another job on the side not knowing what your schedule is
and having kids, day care cost will equal wife's earnings

Let's remember.

Why did the union ask us as pilots not to do overtime? Because at the time the threat of lay-offs was real and we were concerned with those at the bottom of the seniority list. We wanted to do all we could to help our brothers and sisters keep their jobs. But now even though BT has not announced it the threat is probably over. Now I for one would like to see a change of strategy. I think we have the solidarity to do it too. Let's encourage OT, the more the better. Then yank it at the appropriate time. Should I post strategy here for all to see. I don't see how it could hurt. I'm sure Ford and Harrison have seen it before, but what could they do about it?
What do you Flops fighters think?

ok now explain how to get another job on the side not knowing what your schedule is
and having kids, day care cost will equal wife's earnings

Read the post. . .

I didn't say one should try to get a job on the side. If the wage that you're told you will receive is not going to be enough from Day 1, DON'T ACCEPT THE JOB!! If you you find yourself in the predicament of not having enough money because the pay you signed up for is not enough I have no sympathy for you.

Why did the union ask us as pilots not to do overtime? Because at the time the threat of lay-offs was real and we were concerned with those at the bottom of the seniority list. We wanted to do all we could to help our brothers and sisters keep their jobs. But now even though BT has not announced it the threat is probably over. Now I for one would like to see a change of strategy. I think we have the solidarity to do it too. Let's encourage OT, the more the better. Then yank it at the appropriate time. Should I post strategy here for all to see. I don't see how it could hurt. I'm sure Ford and Harrison have seen it before, but what could they do about it?

Interesting strategy, but I'm afraid illegal in the end. See the Union can assert that they don't want pilots to do OT because we want to show management that without OT doers the operation is understaffed and that we want to protect our jobs on the bottom of the list. For the Union to give their blessings to do OT and then all of a sudden take that blessing away may constitue an illegal job action without authorization for self help.

I still think the company needs to hire to appropriate staffing levels and everybody needs to forget about OT being available anytime they want it.

For the Union to give their blessings to do OT and then all of a sudden take that blessing away may constitue an illegal job action without authorization for self help.
How do you figure? OT is voluntary....there is nothing illegal about asking pilots to not volunteer.

Yank it at the appropriate time?

Wonderful. Let's see how we can screw the company over and affect all those employees that are not represented by the union to get what they want.

This is EXACTLY the example I have repeatedly used to prove my point about why I like my non-union airline.

This isn't the opinion you were soliciting, but it's what you are going to get.

Wonderful. Let's see how we can screw the company over and affect all those employees that are not represented by the union to get what they want.

This is EXACTLY the example I have repeatedly used to prove my point about why I like my non-union airline.

Since you don't work at FLOPS, you have no basis for your statement. As was said in another post, OT is voluntary. There is nothing illegal nor is there anything unethical about this strategy. Ford & Harrison and FLOPS management are the ones that are "screwing the company" It would be the fault of management for relying on OT to crew the airplanes. Also, if you worked here, you might have realized that FLOPS' crew ratio is much lower than the other fracs.

nomore, I like your idea!:beer:

Withhold anything extra for the company. Educate and encourage everyone else that wants to see improvements to do the same. Encourage them to do it all of the time, not just when it is convenient. Some will never listen and will take advantage of the efforts and sacrifices of others. Keep up the pressure to educate them. More will join the effort the longer this drags on. 1 year from now you will have more support. 2 years from now you will have even more. Try to convince the group to act sooner rather than later.

To the guy that needs every bit of OT to make ends meet - What would you do if OT wasn't available, just lie down in the gutter? No, you would do whatever it takes to provide for your family. Be honest, OT is the easier option. Easy may make things seem better short term but you better hope not too many of your fellow pilots are like you, else not enough pilots will shoulder the load and time will march on and years will be added to your struggle.

When a large enough percentage of pilots are willing to fight for a contract, you will get a contract. Until then...

Trust me, I know.

Speaking of yanking it at the appropriate time, how about the timing of last years PAY CUT from the Flops dream team? Right before Christmas we find out that our medical insurance is going to cost us about 300% more. I went from about $140 per month for family medical to $400 per month! Not to mention the increased co-pay and decrease in what get covered.

Merry F'ing Christmas!

Or how about the timing of this latest vacation bull$hit? I was going to have Christmas off this year with my kids FINALLY! Now its a big mystery, I'm sure I'll be sitting in the FBO AGAIN. Merry Christmas kids, I know daddy promised he'd be home for this Christmas but I work for EVIL people who do not care about their employees and do not understand the concept of HAPPY EMPLOYEES = PRODUCTIVE EMPLOYEES.

Merry F'ing Christmas!

These were just 2 examples of how flop's bean counters have screwed us over at really inappropriate times. There are many more.

These bean counters can't understand that if the Pilots were treated fairly, and with respect, we could make this company more money than any of there penny pinching initiatives. That is why flops got the Union it deserved BOB!

The reasons I came to flops have all but gone away. I will fight to the very end to make flops a decent place to work again but if management chooses to fight us and delay the contract we deserve than so be it. Flops will self destruct. If that is the case, it was management that let it happen, not the Union.

What are your plans for Christmas Bob? Must be nice to know that your schedule can't be changed arbitrarily. Ahh, the benefits of being senior managements puppet.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back