Flight Express Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boris Badenov

I figure it's been the requisite few months, so it's time to post that FLX is hiring. Standard 135 IFR mins boilerplate applies. Try it, you might like it. I do, but then I'm crazy. I think the company is currently in "show up and we'll put you in class" hiring mode, so if you've got the time and can fly on instruments, give Gary a call. 1-800-OPS-KORL ext. 613

Pay information here: http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/flight-express-20051002169.htm
is accurate.

Boris Badenov said:
I figure it's been the requisite few months, so it's time to post that FLX is hiring. Standard 135 IFR mins boilerplate applies. Try it, you might like it. I do, but then I'm crazy. I think the company is currently in "show up and we'll put you in class" hiring mode, so if you've got the time and can fly on instruments, give Gary a call. 1-800-OPS-KORL ext. 613

Pay information here: http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/cargo/flight-express-20051002169.htm
is accurate.

Thanks for the info. I don't have the time yet but hopefully I will soon. Could you tell me what the daily routine is like? Loading/unloading your own airplane, paperwork hassles, maintenance etc? Thanks!

Flight Express Daily Routine

Each pilot arrives at the airport 1 hour prior to departure, sometimes slightly earlier depending on their particular route procedure. Each pilot has their own dedicated route of airports they fly to each day, with minimal changes in destinations from day to day. Routes are awarded based on seniority. Once you are awarded a route, it can't be taken away from you except for extreme circumstances.

Time on duty can range as short as 4 hours to as long as 14 hours. Flight time could be as short as 2.5 hours per day to perhaps 7 hours. Luckily, we are paid per duty hour, not flight hour. During your layovers you are free to do as you please. Some pilot get second jobs at a layover if they are there long enough during the day.

Here is an example of a route out of Orlando that I currently fly:
Check in: 0610
Depart ORL: 0710
Arrive TLH: 0840
0900-1530 Borrow the crew car, surf the net, sleep, and play pool. And getting paid the whole time to do it!

1530 Start loading cargo
Depart TLH: 1625
Arrive CRG: 1725

Unload and reload
Depart CRG:1800
Arrive ORL: 1855
Check out off duy: 1910

Total duty period: 13.0 Yup, $130 per day, and I spend half of it asleep usually.

Available runs are awarded at the end of ground school, preference is given to highest final exam test, and awarded on down. You could get lucky and get your first choice domicile and run right out of class, or may have to wait a couple of months. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Daily paperwork is minimal. You have a data sheet that you log all your cargo and weights with. Weight and balance is of course required and that's about it. Flight plans are prefiled for you everyday.

Maintenance is top notch. Sometimes it may seem like there are a ton of planes broken at one time, but maintenance somehow always has a plane ready for each departure. I have never been cancelled due to aircraft availability. Not delivering our cargo is simply not an option!

Boris Badenov is right about requiring 135 mins, but if you have the night, cross country, and instrument time requirements met, Gary is willing to consider hiring you with only 1100 total time.

Hopefully this helps answer a few quesions!

All of the above is accurate. For another example, my current run:

0530 - On duty CPS
0630 - Depart CPS - SGF
~0745 Depart CPS - HRO
~0830 Depart HRO - ASG

0900 - 1600 Sit around, surf the net, borrow the crew car, post on flight info, etc etc.

1610 - Depart ASG - HRO
1645 - HRO - SGF
1726 - SGF - CPS
1900 - Off duty

You definitely load your own cargo, but a 210 only holds about 1000lbs max and you're rarely 100% full, so it's not what you'd call back-breaking.

Both the runs featured in the thread are pretty long, which is good for the pay. There are other options. If you want to log a decent amount of time but not be at work all day (and you're independently wealthy), there are some short ones, too. 615 out of HKS was my first run, and as I recall it was something like 5 hours, with maybe 3 of flying. Still paid the daily minimum of $75.

Paperwork as stated above is pretty minimal. You have to call in your times and weights at the end of the day, and of course you have to do the weight and balance.

I also concur on the maintenance. The planes are old and they've seen a lot of service, so stuff is going to break. That said, if you squawk something, it gets fixed. I've never been pressured to fly with anything broken, and never in weather that I judged to be dangerous. It's a balance, of course. You can't just sit on the ground when there's a cloud in the sky, but in the rare instance that I've delayed for weather (t-storms right over the field), I never heard a word about it from anyone.

Basically, the job is exactly as advertised, which is a refreshing change from other aviation jobs I've had. And you do learn *a lot*.

I would appreciate if one of the fine Flight Express folks would PM me the runs and times that are available out of FTY (or runs one could hold living in the Atlanta area). Thanks in advance.

Hey thanks for the great info. I've still got about 350 to go until 1200 but I'm currently looking for companies to apply to down the road a bit. Do you guys work like 5 on 2 off or is it 24/7?

Oops guess that's in the FAQ. Never mind on that one.

Here's a link to the domiciles/bases page: http://www.flightexpress.com/domiciles.htm

Boris Badenov said:
Ernst is D.O., if we're talking about the same gentleman of Norweigian extraction.

Heyas Boris,

I'm wonding if it's the same guy. Ask him about Nebraska winters sometime, or what he thought of 124GP after the gear collapse.

Nu

Latest resources

Back