Flg 3701 Audio Tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DirkkDiggler said:
Diver, Good post. It's okay to study other people's mistakes and still allow them to maintain their dignity.

If we don't learn from other's mistakes, we're only condemned to repeat them ourselves.

That's what I'm trying to say, and that's not what the press does, they should not even be allowed to write about that. If we want to study accidents, we can go to the NTSB and read about it. This is like a pilot writting about why a doctor fukced up an operation and the patient died, give me a break, mind your own business and write about something you have knowledge on.

BayAreaPilot said:
Some of the phraseology seems a little off, such as them reporting at 41,000 instead of FL 410 and. Also is that how they say the type for a CRJ-200, as RJ200?

questions questions questions!!!! the news media will do anything for a story ie Dan Rather. So you never really know!!! I have not heard the tapes hopefully the NTSB has and something can be learned from this...

Last edited:
Flechas said:
That's what I'm trying to say, and that's not what the press does, they should not even be allowed to write about that. If we want to study accidents, we can go to the NTSB and read about it. This is like a pilot writting about why a doctor fukced up an operation and the patient died, give me a break, mind your own business and write about something you have knowledge on.
Ya know, if their is a doctor out there killing people by screw ups, I'd like to know about it. It allows me to avoid that guy. Or, do you feel only the AMA should have privy to quacks who botch operations.

Freedom of the press is what lets all of us make somewhat informed decisions. Pilots are not immune to public scrutiny if they make deadly errors. This has nothing to do with sensitivity to the families. Any occupation that can mess up other peoples live is subject to investigation and reporting. Would you have the greyhound bus driver who took a load of 60 people over a cliff be exempt from public scrutiny? There have been times when that bus driver has been found to have been under the influence of drugs. Should that have been kept quiet.

Should the two NWA pilots who flew a load of pax from Fargo to MSP while drunk, been quietly prosecuted, and the public be kept in the dark because they are not knowledgeable enough?

Perhaps there are inadequate training issues that need to be addressed at Pinnacle. I am not saying that there is, but the public at least who buys the tickets should have an idea of what they might be stepping into.

The aired transcripts are only one item that the public at large uses to make a decision on how they might travel.

Last edited:
Dr.Hwang said:
At AWAC we use flip charts. We look at current aircraft weight and ISA deviation, then refer to a chart that tells what maxium altitude we can attain, and then accellerate to a given cruise speed. Our charts are really conservative. I think the highest it showed a CRJ200 could get to is 37000 ft (approx) and accellerate to .74 mach. That altitude might be a little off, but none of our charts show FL410.

OK, Everyone listen up!!! This is how AWAC does it...........

jarhead said:
Ya know, if their is a doctor out there killing people by screw ups, I'd like to know about it. It allows me to avoid that guy. Or, do you feel only the AMA should have privy to quacks who botch operations.

Freedom of the press is what lets all of us make somewhat informed decisions. Pilots are not immune to public scrutiny if they make deadly errors. This has nothing to do with sensitivity to the families. Any occupation that can mess up other peoples live is subject to investigation and reporting. Would you have the greyhound bus driver who took a load of 60 people over a cliff be exempt from public scrutiny? There have been times when that bus driver has been found to have been under the influence of drugs. Should that have been kept quiet.

Should the two NWA pilots who flew a load of pax from Fargo to MSP while drunk, been quietly prosecuted, and the public be kept in the dark because they are not knowledgeable enough?

Perhaps there are inadequate training issues that need to be addressed at Pinnacle. I am not saying that there is, but the public at least who buys the tickets should have an idea of what they might be stepping into.

The aired transcripts are only one item that the public at large uses to make a decision on how they might travel.

Of course the public is allowed to know what's going on, same with the doctor example. But the person writting about thi issue should at least know ehat he/she is talking about. I would not be the one writting about how a doctor fukced up, because I don't know anything about medicine. The guy who wrote this article doesn't know anything about flying, he should let someone who knows write about it.

DirkkDiggler said:
Diver, Good post. It's okay to study other people's mistakes and still allow them to maintain their dignity. If we never looked at any pilot's mistakes, we'd never have the incredible safety record we have in this country's airline industry. I think accident case studies should be a mandatory part of applying for a commercial pilot's license. If we don't learn from other's mistakes, we're only condemned to repeat them ourselves.

I couldn't agree with you more. As part of my running a website for Jump Pilots I read accident reports every day from the FAA and NTSB. It doesn't make me an expert investigator. I'm just really good at reading reports. Some of the reports I've gotten to talk with people who were actually there and involved. I've learned so much from that process and I know others could benefit from constant case study reading.

This is my Monday quarterbacking: it's 237nm from KMEM to KJEF. In that distance, they climbed to and descended from FL410. If they averaged 2000fpm down at 250kts, that would leave about 153nm for the climb to FL410. Granted, the plane will do 4000fpm for a short while when it's empty, but quickly peters out at any weight to 500-700fpm above FL250 on profile.

I have no idea what happened in the cockpit up to FL410 (or after), but I do know that if climb speed is too low, 250KIAS and below, that the plane just isn't going to get traction at altitude, if it even reaches it. In certain borderline circumstances, it won't even gain traction when on profile.

Flechas said:
Of course the public is allowed to know what's going on, same with the doctor example. But the person writting about thi issue should at least know ehat he/she is talking about. I would not be the one writting about how a doctor fukced up, because I don't know anything about medicine. The guy who wrote this article doesn't know anything about flying, he should let someone who knows write about it.
I think I see what you are saying, but I see some problems with your assessment. You seem to expect that “the media” have on its staff, an expert in every field of science, human endeavor, or politics. That’s an awfully high standard to be set for any organization. True, sometimes on a particular aspect of something, an expert can be available to a local news organization. But even then, there are experts who will disagree with each other. I see it all the time, and I’m sure you do as well.

To me, the purest form of reporting, is simply broadcasting “facts”, without any explanation or spin from an expert. In the case of the audio tapes of the final minutes of flight 3701, they are the exact words of ATC and the pilots. The newscast I watched presented an accurate presentation of what was recorded from just before the emergency, right up to the crash. What is inaccurate about that reporting? You could even hear the increasing levels of stress in the pilot’s voices……something the printed word does not convey. Yes, it is sad news, but I don’t want my news to be just about who married who, and who won best actor Oscar at the Academy Awards show.

For the guy that posted “F. the media”, well, that’s about the most brilliant comment I’ve yet to hear on this. Perhaps he should go live in a cave somewhere, and avoid any news at all about anything at all. Best to remain ignorant your whole life, and the only news events worth knowing about are from his own personal limited experiences.

Latest resources

Back