• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flg 3701 Audio Tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What spin was the press putting out? The headline was a quote from the pilot and I didn't see any commentary in the story. Mostly just playing the tape.

I think there is room for both. You can feel bad for these guys and their families, and at the same time allow room for the idea that they MAY have screwed up.

Don't limit circle jerks to just Monday morning.

Selling papers one tabloid twist at a time. I have banned telling jokes in my cockpit because I wouldnt want a CVR to reveal that we were having a little fun.

Sad

GP

scabseeker said:
What spin was the press putting out? The headline was a quote from the pilot and I didn't see any commentary in the story. Mostly just playing the tape.

Did we read the same story? How about the last line? The aircraft is certified for 41,000, and for pilots not used to going that high it would be fun. I happen to think ILS approaches to the minimums are fun, and say so when I get to do them. Yet if we crashed during an ILS approach due to a stupid error having nothing to do with the fact that I find ILS approaches fun, would a reporter also connect me saying "ILS to minimums are fun" to the fact that we crashed? What the story lacks is context, and seems to draw the conclusion that they crashed because they tried to have fun, when the actual cause of it may be airspeed management or some other issue. There were bits of commentary throughout the article, and the lack of broader context, coupled with a few cute comments, is what other pilots perceive as spin.

100LL... Again! said:
It really shows that you have to watch every word you say or they will hang you on the most innocent of comments.

That's why I always try to make sure to put a "%@#*& maintenance...screwed us again." on the CVR about every hour and a half or so.

Not to diminish the tragedy, but I heard about a crew that says on every takeoff: "What was that?...I don't know but it had huge tentacles!"

I try to be aware of what I say. If the timer isn't starting with a normal push, and I end up saying something like "This stupid thing isn't working," I'll usually catch myself and elaborate, so as not to leave potential open questions for those listening to the CVR at some point.

Latest resources

Back