• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flg 3701 Audio Tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This got me thinking...I've said some stuff that could be taken waaaay out of context if someone was listening to the CVR.
Here's one that I'm sure more than a few of us have said, "What's it doing now?!" The headlines would read, "Pilots don't know how to fly their plane."

The tentacles comment is pretty hilarious.

That article is sick, those fukcing reporters don't know ther a$$es from their heads.
I've never thought about the things I say in the cockpit, but I guess it's a good idea to start doing it now, you never know what may save or bury your a$$ in the future.
As far as that accident is concerned, only they know what happened up there that night, so lets not judge them, It may be us next time.

Fly safe.

freakin fladging ahhhh!

Why the hell do they publish those tapes!?!?!?

What happened to accident investigation only?

I highly doubt the NTSB has hired the Crack podunk nbc news team to investigate....

Why/How do these tapes get out?

urflyingme?! said:
Why/How do these tapes get out?

ATC audio feed is different from the CVR or FDR. They come out all the time. There are even some from 9/11 out there. If I'm not mistaken, ATC tapes being released has something to do with the Freedom of Information Act.

At AWAC we use flip charts. We look at current aircraft weight and ISA deviation, then refer to a chart that tells what maxium altitude we can attain, and then accellerate to a given cruise speed. Our charts are really conservative. I think the highest it showed a CRJ200 could get to is 37000 ft (approx) and accellerate to .74 mach. That altitude might be a little off, but none of our charts show FL410.

Flechas said:
That article is sick, those fukcing reporters don't know ther a$$es from their heads.
I've never thought about the things I say in the cockpit, but I guess it's a good idea to start doing it now, you never know what may save or bury your a$$ in the future.
As far as that accident is concerned, only they know what happened up there that night, so lets not judge them, It may be us next time.

Fly safe.

How do you expect to learn if you do not want to judge? You have to look at what happened and determine what caused the accident to happen. Each step is important.

"Having a little fun" shows a part of the mindset of the pilot responding. We're professionals. This is our job. We're not here to "have fun". If you want fun go skydiving or rent a Decatholon and do acrobatics.

In skydiving we have a saying that says "If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough". It's harsh. But it gets a lot of testosterone driven newbies to listen. Maybe a dose of that among our ranks would be a good thing. The harsh reality of aviation is that you can parish (along with everyone on board) by making some wrong decisions that don't seem very important at first glance. I've had plenty of friends killed in skydiving over the past 10 years so I'm quite familiar with the mindset of "woowhoo! OH SH!T!!"

It's always an arguement about how we shouldn't talk ill of the dead. I always respond with "how is it talking ill of their total life accomplishments by talking about something that could save someone else's life?" The final moments don't summarize how they lived their total life. (well, sometimes it does) Many times it's the mindset going into a situtaion that gets you killed and nothing else. The rest is just details for the report.

I would keep this in the back of my mind the next time I start to think I'm board at work and want to "have a little fun."

Not judging the crew as being "bad" people. Just offering some insight into what I've observed over some years in this harsh, unforgiving activity called aviation. We can't reach into the past and yank our friends out of the situation just before it goes bad. But we can look forward and carry their experience with us. I've sat on the crew room couch and thought about all the things that might have been going on right then:

Night, double engine failure, triple chimes and single chimes that don't seem to want to stop, ADG noise, aircraft stall, flying over dark turrain that you are possibly unfamiliar with and can't see the nearest airport, never flown a glider before let alone a 46,000 pound glider, depressurizing cabin, the list goes on and on. It's not a place I want to go ever and how this crew go into that situation has my attention very much. "Having a little fun".

God Bless them and their families.

Some of the phraseology seems a little off, such as them reporting at 41,000 instead of FL 410 and. Also is that how they say the type for a CRJ-200, as RJ200?

DiverDriver said:
How do you expect to learn if you do not want to judge? You have to look at what happened and determine what caused the accident to happen. Each step is important.

"Having a little fun" shows a part of the mindset of the pilot responding. We're professionals. This is our job. We're not here to "have fun". If you want fun go skydiving or rent a Decatholon and do acrobatics.

In skydiving we have a saying that says "If you're gonna be stupid you better be tough". It's harsh. But it gets a lot of testosterone driven newbies to listen. Maybe a dose of that among our ranks would be a good thing. The harsh reality of aviation is that you can parish (along with everyone on board) by making some wrong decisions that don't seem very important at first glance. I've had plenty of friends killed in skydiving over the past 10 years so I'm quite familiar with the mindset of "woowhoo! OH SH!T!!"

It's always an arguement about how we shouldn't talk ill of the dead. I always respond with "how is it talking ill of their total life accomplishments by talking about something that could save someone else's life?" The final moments don't summarize how they lived their total life. (well, sometimes it does) Many times it's the mindset going into a situtaion that gets you killed and nothing else. The rest is just details for the report.

I would keep this in the back of my mind the next time I start to think I'm board at work and want to "have a little fun."

Not judging the crew as being "bad" people. Just offering some insight into what I've observed over some years in this harsh, unforgiving activity called aviation. We can't reach into the past and yank our friends out of the situation just before it goes bad. But we can look forward and carry their experience with us. I've sat on the crew room couch and thought about all the things that might have been going on right then:

Night, double engine failure, triple chimes and single chimes that don't seem to want to stop, ADG noise, aircraft stall, flying over dark turrain that you are possibly unfamiliar with and can't see the nearest airport, never flown a glider before let alone a 46,000 pound glider, depressurizing cabin, the list goes on and on. It's not a place I want to go ever and how this crew go into that situation has my attention very much. "Having a little fun".

God Bless them and their families.

I never said we should not learn from what happen, but the comment of having a little fun is being maipulated here. Maybe they meant having fun by just being at that altitude, and there's nothing wrong with thinking being that high is fun. That's the kind of judging I'm refering to, "oh they were having fun up there, that's why they crashed", just because some stupid reporter that doen's know zhit about aviation twisted what was found in the tapes.
When we find out what really went wrong, other than having fun, then we may look into it and learn from it, knowing that it could have been any of us.

Diver, Good post. It's okay to study other people's mistakes and still allow them to maintain their dignity. If we never looked at any pilot's mistakes, we'd never have the incredible safety record we have in this country's airline industry. I think accident case studies should be a mandatory part of applying for a commercial pilot's license. If we don't learn from other's mistakes, we're only condemned to repeat them ourselves.

BayAreaPilot said:
Some of the phraseology seems a little off, such as them reporting at 41,000 instead of FL 410 and. Also is that how they say the type for a CRJ-200, as RJ200?

No, not "off". These were audio transcripts between control and the cockpit. The voice recordings aired on the ABC station in MSP were not reinactments. They were the ATC recordings. There was no spin on the broadcast I listened to. Just some file video of a Pinnacle CRJ in the TV background as the recordings played out over the aiwaves.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back