• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flg 3701 Audio Tape

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Obviously the media tries to sensationalize a story. That is how they get ratings. If not, they would have a computer-synthesized voice read text to us with pictures and that would be the news. They have to "sell" the story if they want ratings.

If you think this is bad, tune in for sweeps week. "Do you know what is in your child's lunchbox??? He or she could DIE! Tonight, only Action 9 News can tell you how your child could DIE from a school lunch. If you love your children, you better watch Action 9 News tonight!"

With that said, I think the "having a little fun" comment is bad no matter how you look at it. Have we all ever done something in a plane because it is "fun"? Of course we have. We got into flying because it is fun (at least I hope so).

The problem is that the public sees FAR 121 flying (read: airlines) as being a highly professional service that puts safety first. They don't see it as a place for "fun". They would never want you (us) to do something purely for fun. It is all about legal and safe.

Did those guys screw up? I don't know. I really hope not, and I hope that the NTSB can figure it out. I do know that we can all learn from this, as with any accident. And I also know that the intended meaning of "having a little fun" doesn't matter, when the public hears it from the late pilot's own mouth. Right or wrong, we are all going to hear about this for a long time. It's no different when pilots fly drunk, or when Payne Stewart's pilots had the oxygen issue. The public sees their safety threatened (again, for right or wrong) and it all rolls down hill.

Godspeed, FLG 3701... Rest in peace.

Mel Sharples said:
With that said, I think the "having a little fun" comment is bad no matter how you look at it.

Do you think that part of the tape should have been "bleeped out"? The pilots did say it, and we all heard it. The news people did not invent it. Would a sanitized and censored version have been better? And if so, better for who?

Just asking

jarhead said:
To me, the purest form of reporting, is simply broadcasting “facts”, without any explanation or spin from an expert. In the case of the audio tapes of the final minutes of flight 3701, they are the exact words of ATC and the pilots.

There is one major problem with that statement. Aviation uses language in a way that many people that are not involved in it do not understand. Remember how many students you have seen who had a lot of trouble learning how to talk on the radio? If you were to put out a 10 minute piece of ATC tape for the average person to hear they would probably not be able to understand more than 20 or 30% of it. That's why a knowledgable person should be consulted before a news organization runs with a story just to get the story out first.

jarhead said:
Do you think that part of the tape should have been "bleeped out"? The pilots did say it, and we all heard it. The news people did not invent it. Would a sanitized and censored version have been better? And if so, better for who?

Just asking

No, I don't. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I agree with you that the media should report what they find. What they said was fact and it should have been reported.

What I am saying is then when they said those words, there is no positive spin you can ever put on it. The public starts thinking, "Hmmm... Are all airline pilots cowboys? Are they trying to keep me safe or have fun? Are these guys bored flying straight and level all the time?" But then again, maybe we shouldn't even try to put on a positive spin. I don't know.

I'm not saying for a second that should have been covered up. It is just going to make it hard for Pinnacle to make this thing be anything but pilot error. (NOTE: I AM NOT PASSING JUDGEMENT. Only saying what I think the public will think.)

Just goes to show how a small off-handed comment can come back to bite you in the ass even after you are gone.

*sigh*

I have to say that both jarhead and Mel Sharples are right, it's just sad that our profession get degraded that way by the media, just to get ratings, and it's even worse that that is what the public craves.
Anyway, hope we all learn from what happened and may their souls rest in peace.

Fly safe.

Flechas

Mel Sharples said:
No, I don't. I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I agree with you that the media should report what they find. What they said was fact and it should have been reported.

What I am saying is then when they said those words, there is no positive spin you can ever put on it. The public starts thinking, "Hmmm... Are all airline pilots cowboys? Are they trying to keep me safe or have fun? Are these guys bored flying straight and level all the time?" But then again, maybe we shouldn't even try to put on a positive spin. I don't know.

I'm not saying for a second that should have been covered up. It is just going to make it hard for Pinnacle to make this thing be anything but pilot error. (NOTE: I AM NOT PASSING JUDGEMENT. Only saying what I think the public will think.)

Just goes to show how a small off-handed comment can come back to bite you in the ass even after you are gone.

*sigh*

I can't disagree with what you say here, or with atrdriver. Maybe becuase I understand it I assume all will know "the lingo"

Flechas said:
I have to say that both jarhead and Mel Sharples are right, it's just sad that our profession get degraded that way by the media, just to get ratings, and it's even worse that that is what the public craves.

Fly safe.

Flechas

Dude, I don't know how many times I've seen in print or on the air "parachute failed to open" when I know darn well the jumper had a good canopy and flew it into the ground at a high rate of speed. The press will never get it right when it comes to aviation. You have to accept this and right things when you get the chance. The public will take interest in this for about 5 minutes and then move on. There are other things that have their interest right now. Sad to say it but we people in the industry have a greater interest in seeing how it is reported than most the public. At least, that's how I take things now.

I try not to let it eat at me. And you shouldn't either. It's just how things are. The final report will come out and it will all be settled and it won't even get reported when it does. Well, maybe it'll be reported locally in Jeff City and Memphis.

Last edited:
Flechas said:

Fly safe.

Flechas

As unfair as it may seem to some of us, we have chosen to participate in a career that is under close public scrutiny because the general public is, on the whole, afraid of flying. It is largely because of this scrutiny that we have so many regulations and our safety record is as impresive as it is. Sometimes it takes a lot of noise to make small changes and that is what the media's role is in a lot of these situations. They make a bigger stink about it than you or I would, but it takes an exaggerated response to make a small difference. I don't think anyone who flies CRJ's can debate that the media's response to this has affected how their flight department has scrutinized the way they fly their aircraft. I know my company has placed a restriction on the max altitude we can fly. I think it's a good process and we are lucky to live in a country where the media is allowed to criticize. It's what makes America a free country.

For what it's worth

FLG3701 was a reposition flight from Little Rock to MSP. Not from Memphis as the dumb a** KSTP reporters said. Reporters and aviation obviously don't go together.

405 said:
FLG3701 was a reposition flight from Little Rock to MSP. Not from Memphis as the dumb a** KSTP reporters said. Reporters and aviation obviously don't go together.

How is that germane to the accident or audio recordings in any way whatsoever?

Latest resources

Back