• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Pilot Authorization Cards

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do not see a union at Flex. It must be a few pilots complaining because everyone I talk too seem pretty happy. I am only going off of the facts.

Your facts are mistaken. I've not talked to one flex pilot in the last year who was happy.

Judging by the large number of pilots signed up on the Flex 1108 message board it does not appear to be just a few pilots "complaining".

Last edited:
Like I said we must work at different companies within the same company because I do not get it. I typically do 2to4 legs, home by 5 on my last day about 50% of the time. End up in DFW during my rotation sometimes. Have a couple days off here and there. Get home reserve sometimes. I have worked long days but not that many within the last couple of years. Of course everyting is always prespective and to me it has not seemed to be that bad.

Maybe it is my background; flight instructor, freight pilot, regional pilot (2 regionals) and I am comparing to that. And the two regionals I worked at had unions and the management/pilot relationship was just awful and I hated going to work because everyone was always complaining and it just got old.

Last edited:
can things be better yes, do I think everyone hates it here no, but I just do not believe the union is the answer

Last edited:
You are welcome to your opinions. Give it a little more time and you might understand the frustration most are feeling. Things can be alot better here and should be. This is not only for improved QOL, but to help provide a safer work enivronment for everyone. I personally do not subscribe to the idea that I should suck it up because I have worked at worse places. That is not a very progressive mode. Feel free to join the other message board and share your thoughts. All sides are welcome.

He is obviously a new F/O because he gets home reserve frequently. He hasn't been here long enough to understand that working things out "internally" DOES NOT WORK AT FLEXJET. It took over 2 years just to get a Denver base opened and, when they did open it, they closed Ontario immediately without an announcement. Mr Gross is a firm believer that we MUST give up something for him to give us something. The idea that we've earned something is not in his vocabulary.

It seems to me instead of trying to bring an external organization into the picture it would be better to handle it internally. I have always felt that way. It would make more sense to me to have a FlexJet Safety committee, benefits committe, etc. I know that is what the CAB is suppose to do but I think making corrections like that would do a lot of good. I would like to see the CAB be elected be the pilot group and more committees started to make improvements at Flex. Although, things have not been too bad for me at Flex so it has hard for me to preach the union. I guess it is just luck of the draw.

You are right that it would be much nicer to do business the way you discribe. The problem is that none of the good that any of these pilot focus groups produce are protected by law or have a commitment from management to instatute them. There is not a contract in place that spells out how the pilots and the compnay will do business, what the pilots will expect from management or what the company and managementa should expect from the pilots. Without a mutualy negotiated and aggreeded to binding CONTRACT maqagement is under no requirment and has no motovation to accept any changes or suggestions from a pilot focus group.

Go through the pain to gain a contract, it won't be easy but in the long run it will be worth it.

Like I said we must work at different companies within the same company because I do not get it. I

Ummmm..we all work at the same company. So unless you get some special deal, I believe you and I have the same sub-par medical, below industry average pay and 401K and overtime rates, no holiday pay, a PBS system this is not seniority driven, 4 bases (worst the industry), rolling rest, sub-par first and last day work rules, no personal days, 10 days of paid vacation per year instead of 14, 202 days worked per year (also the worst in the industry) and one major one to trump them all: job protection.

I dont care at all how many legs I fly in day. I want and deserve industry standard (or better) pay, benefits, and QOL, and I want job protection. I dont believe the company will do that own their own, and I dont believe the CAB is effective.

I dont know who you run into on the road, but easily more than half the people I run into in the FBO and hotels are pro union or at least open to the idea. If you are a known anti-union pilot, chances are everybody keeps their mouth shut around you.

Union!! we are well on the way, hopefully this recent mailing will put us over the edge.

can things be better yes, do I think everyone hates it here no, but I just do not believe the union is the answer
Do I hate it here? No, I work with some great people and I like the job. However, when you are given a 3pm start time and they tell you that you will being going to midnight, you try and stay up a little later so you can sleep in to compensate for the next late night, but then you are woken up by the 5am phone call. That happened to me 3 of 5 days on my last rotation. You know it is bad when D.G. doesnt even go to the CAB meetings anymore. We need change, and I think there is only one way to acheive the changes we need to make this a long term place of employment. As I stated, I like the people I fly with and don't want to have to start at the bottom again to get the quality of life I want. Send in your cards so you can at least have your say, union or non-union. If your still on the fence, I think hearing both sides will help you decide.

You might want to read the BB regarding someones last day on duty. That was above and beyond BS. Can you count the safety issues on that flight? While a union might not be the end all be all, I have yet to see the CAB accomplish anything. Not that they have not tried mind you, they just are not getting the cooperaton from DG and company. At least, that is what I hear. I for one am very happy with Flex, but there are some things that must, not have, to change.

Latest resources

Back