• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

first flight/ride in icing!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not saying go out and take your C152, C172 and fly through Ice. All I am saying is learn as much as you can about icing and if you get in it by accident; know how to get out of it.

Icing in a single engine piston was probably the scariest experience in my life.
Over the mountains at night in and out of IMC with a airmet for icing issued after we took off.
Should have turned back but we didn't.
We went through one (yes, only one) cloud in a Piper Warrior, we picked up ice in seconds, a mixture of rime and clear.
Student was flying, I was looking at my wing, we spent maybe 30 sec in cloud, you could watch it grow. From the leading edge back we had a 20 inch long layer of mixed. We asked for and got "deviations as necessary".
A buddy in a C172 (who took a different route) was nearly killed that night, they had the heater on full blast and it took 2 of them to physically fly the plane, both needed full yoke forward to keep it from stalling. The real spooky thing was they were on the same center freq. and we could here them getting nervous and later almost panicking. Controller had this concerned tone in his voice, somthing like please don't let me lose one tonight.
After we landed (1.5 hrs later) we still had slush at the bottom of the wing.
On the way back during the day we mostly stayed out of cloud but still managed to get the trim frozen with clear ice.
Agree that at some point in your career/learning curve you need to learn how to handle those conditions, but next time I go into any conditions conducive to ice, it will be in a plane certified to to it.
Nothing and nothing else.
That's all for my Sunday sermon...

Tired Soul,

That is plain old dangerous!! Mountains and ice are a BAD combination! Ice always tends to be worst in mountanious terrain espically on the upwind side of all ridges. Glad no one was hurt or worse! I'd never even think about pulling something off like that in with 3 strikes against you, first a wimpy 172, second the darkness and third the mountains. If in a G4 I wouldn't hesitate to fly in that situation since it easily could climb on top with lots of power as well as sophisticated ice protection equipment. That is every bit as dangerous as flying drunk IHMO!!!! Glad you were able to learn from this as well.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you have the performance and ice capabilities of a larger, more powerful airplane, that it's okay to go into the ice. Any ice system is designed to get you out of ice, not in. Even in the highest performance aircraft, icing conditions exist which far exceed the capability of any anti icing or deicing system that mankind has devised, or can build, not to mention the capability of any aircraft one may care to mention.

I've heard posters here comment on how this airplane or that carries ice like a pickup truck. Garbage. No airplane carries ice well. Don't get caught into that mentality. I was nearly dumbfounded at the hysterically idiotic ramblings of tdturbo regarding ice in light airplanes; I really thought he had more sense than that. It's possibly excusable in an inexperienced pilot such as himself, but weather is no rspecter of persons, and ice does not forgive.

Ice is dangerous on runways, on wings, in fuel, everywhere. The only place for ice in the airplane is in the galley or in your soda glass. In light airplanes, especially, the only thing icing experience should provide you is a firm commitment to stay clear. Ice has brought down more than a few large, highly powered aircraft.

You might be willing to fly ice in a G4. You might look before you do that at the building evidence regarding the recent loss of the Challenger in Montrose before you plan on tackling ice merely because you have the power and the alleged performance to do so. Not a good idea. I'm very, very disappointed at the number of posters who seem to see ice as a training tool or something that is to be carried well by a particular type design. I'm gratified to see the much greater number of posters to are wise enough to properly advise steering clear of ice in any amount.

Leave ice in drinks and to the olympics. Inside the airplane, fine. Outside the airplane, very bad.

Today was a fun day in Chicago, I specifically requested a hold in IMC after getting a Sigmet for ice. I wanted to do this to see how long my mighty 182rg could fly before feeling a stall buffet from the tail. I can't wait for the FZ rain tomorrow.

If I only new where minitour lived I could hold over his house.;)

Latest resources

Back