• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fire Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DC4Boy...I did five years as a Leadplane pilot and Smokejumper pilot with USFS in RDD.

I think I qualify. :)

Eric

My dream job #3 is to fly OV-10 for CDF or Forest Service. Who do I have to kill to get on with them?

Its a not a problem if dream job#1 is to be well paid semi-retiree who spends all day being a husband and parent for his wife and kids. Job # 2 is to fly around the world actually helping people who are starving and dying. Job#3 is to fly OV10s for CDF or Forest Service. Job#4 is my actual job. Job#5 is to #1-10 seniority wise at Southwest and do Job#1, maybe 2 and 3. Priorities, my friends, its all about priorities. So...since the first 2 and number 5 are kinda out of my reach right now, and I actually have #4, #3 is my goal.

You should probably stick with chasing the Southwest dream then. Aerial firefighting is one of those jobs you really must have a serious desire to do. Its not like anything else out there. It Takes a certain kind of person and pilot to do it or you will kill yourself.

Besides, no one should aspire to fly the OV-10 for CDF. It should be looked upon as a stepping stone to get to an S-2, wich is my #1 dream job.

Cheers

Yeah Brad...formerly known as Lead 51.

Grumman Guy and movinonup...good luck in your dreams of being an airtanker captain. Great work, fun guys but the way the feds are messing with the program, it'll take a lot of patience to survive. I hope they can get their act together and realize what a worthwhile program LAT's are...and Lead's...and ASM...etc., etc.

And right now there is an unofficial hiring freeze at USFS. They failed to replace me or one other guy who retired out of FOX and put the kibosh on the two new hires for FOX. Until they hash out what kind of aerial supervision module they want for whatever kind of airtanker program they are going to have in the future, Leadplanes and ASM's may become rare.

CDF on the other hand has an active aerial supervision program (OV-10's) and tanker fleet (S2T's).

Then again...there's always SEAT's!

Eric

OV10's would be awesome. You probably don't see a lot of movement in those seats. How do you get a job flying smokejumpers?

I had applied for the lancaster openings last year but they cancelled the vacancies as far as I know.

This fire season I will sit out and flying boxes as a captain in the Shorts out of SBA, and will try to be back into things next year, hopefully there will be more certainly in the future of aerial firefighting by then, and if there isnt, well at least I will have a fair amount of multi engine turboprop , so I will be more qualified for other jobs if everything goes to crap again like may 2004.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back