• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fire Work

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah OV-10's are alot of fun. There is quite a bit of movement due to the fact that the bronco is an entry level job. The upgrade is into the S-2T.

The list is very long though......

Its hard enough when you do know someone. Although 5-10 years ago, it was apparently much easier. I know someone that got hired for a USFS lead plane job and didnt even have to interview, and someone who flies with CDF that had no fire experience, no turboprop either as far as I know.

Last edited:
I never interviewed when I hired on at USFS...no sim ride, no nothing. If it wasn't for the fact that 2 military guys declined and a more qualified pilot went to a commercial jump ship operator and the fact that the Supvy Pilot in Redding knew me from way back when....I'd never would have gotten the job.

BTW...it was my freightdawgin' experience that made me, in his mind, a good choice and I only had a smidgen of fire experience...flying recon and supplemental air attack (1 mission) back in the early 90's.

Don't give up...keep buggin' people in the fire biz...

Eric

LOL movinonup!

I'm afraid I can't help you. The USFS and I parted on not so friendly terms. But I know people. And I know about people. (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!)

Just keep buggin' the people in charge, hang around tanker bases yakkin' with the crews, calling and getting your name out there counts. Most managers can't do anything in the gov't without approval so you'll have to wait until someone approves of you!! ;)

Eric

The list for the OV-10 is very long. Knowing someone isnt good enough anymore. Fire expierence is the only way in.

I got in before it was that way. Since the reduction in the Federal airtanker program, the CDF air program is pretty much the only stable thing left.

One step in the right direction, if your serious, is to join the Associated Airtanker Pilots. It's cheap, get's your face shown and foot in the door, all while helping support the industry.

For more info, you can go to airtanker.com or send me a PM or E mail.

Brad Baker
AAP board member
[email protected]

Latest resources

Back