• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For some of the best performing ammo for the $ go here:
http://doubletapammo.com

it will take your 357sig or 10mm to a whole new level-

I just submitted my order last week for the HK USP. How long is it taking now to recieve it? I know some people had said around a month, is that a realistic time frame?

I'm interested in a hand gun for home protection and general recreation. I'm a little concerned that the Pilot HK doesn't have a safety since it will be handled by my fiance (and myself for that matter).

What are the benefits of not having a safety? I've always been in the habit of setting the safety before handing over any weapon, is there an equally safe way to handle a gun without a safety? Is there something I'm missing? Can someone recommend a good gun for my purposes?

Cheers!

I'm interested in a hand gun for home protection and general recreation. I'm a little concerned that the Pilot HK doesn't have a safety since it will be handled by my fiance (and myself for that matter).

What are the benefits of not having a safety? I've always been in the habit of setting the safety before handing over any weapon, is there an equally safe way to handle a gun without a safety? Is there something I'm missing? Can someone recommend a good gun for my purposes?

Cheers!

I'd think of it like a gear horn on a piston single, folks still land 'em gear up. The double-action is pretty idiot proof, and the trigger pull is really really long and really heavy. The hammer is down unless you're on the trigger, so a dropped weapon that lands on the muzzle is a non-issue. If you're very nervous about being one trigger pull from a discharge, there's always the option of an empty chamber, it's anathema to the 1911 crowd but you're still only two quick, intuitive actions away from firing.

FWIW the Red Army beat the Third Reich with a weapon with effectively no safety, the M91/30.

Cheers!

Rather than setting the safety, the best way to hand over a weapon is to eject the magazine (if applicable), open the action and latch it open, confirm that the chamber is empty and then hand it over. This way everyone knows that it's unloaded! Just using the safety is no guarantee of anything...safeties have failed in the past.

Single and double action revolvers have no safety. In a combat situation the safety is just one more thing that could keep you from getting a shot off in time should you forget it's there.

You may want to look into a revolver. There's nothing wrong with them. .357 Mag is still a fine round though for short range and pure stopping power .44 Special would be better without the recoil, noise and weight of a .44 Mag.

However, the absolute best firearm for home defense would be a 12ga pump shotgun with a factory short barrel using 2 and 3/4 in., OO Buckshot...again, no need for a magnum at short range. And should an intruder not flee upon hearing the distinct "ka-chunk" of a pumpgun ramming a shell home, well...ya better be ready to defend yourself!

Last edited:
Can someone recommend a good gun for my purposes?

Cheers!
Squirt-gun!

Home defense, Mossberg 12GA pump, 00buck, really all you could need!
PBR

Cheers!
Squirt-gun!

PBR
P.S. Anyone who decides to engage someone who just pumped one into the chamber, is gonna need a dose of Pb express anyway!

Cheers!
Squirt-gun!

PBR
P.S. Anyone who decides to engage someone who just pumped one into the chamber, is gonna need a dose of Pb, express or 3 anyway!

I agree 1,000,000,000,000,000% on getting a shotgun.

Go to someplace like Big 5 and you can get a mossie 500 real cheap.

First Question at Gunsite, firearms training center. Instructors are SEALS, MI5, LA Swat, (think best in the world)

What is the best weapon you can have for home protection? Answer, the meanest, baddest automatic shotgun you can afford.

Second question: What do you do when someone breaks into your home?

typical answers: "call 911, give a warning shot, hide behind furniture"

Real answer, "hunt them down and kill them, they knew the risk"

Latest resources

Back