FEX EX Cancels A-380

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Awesome

Two great airplanes (757 and 777) added to the Fedex stable in just over a month. Great news. Can't wait.

The initial article states a 171,000 lb. revenue payload. Is that a max or just a general ballpark? My only other reference is the MD-11 which will take 180,000 10 hours from TPE to ANC no problem. I would have thought (given the higher Max GW of the 777 over the MD-11), the payload of the 777 would have been higher.
Thanks.

The 171K number sounded low to me as well. I guess they just like the 2000 more mile range for longhaul. The reasoning I've heard is the 777 is stop gap only. We needed the lift and couldn't wait, 11's are in short supply, so something had to be done. Something else will come about that fills the jumbo freighter gap that the 380 represented, could be the 380 or 747.

If they want/need to go bigger in the end it will likely be the 380, imo. The Boeing website says the the 747-8 freighter can carry 154 tons of freight over 4,475 nautical miles. That's less in both range and weight than the above quoted numbers on the MD-11 and 777, I would assume the advantage of the 747 vs. those two is volume for bulky or odd cargo pieces. That pretty much leaves the 380 as the only option if they want to go bigger than the 777. The 380F won't be in service for a while and by then, they'll likely be an advanced version to improve on the intital one and possibly add some of whatever they come up for on the 350. FedEx could end up getting two planes that are better than what they originally planned. If we work hard enough together, I'm confident we can come up with the answer(s) here on FI.

If they want/need to go bigger in the end it will likely be the 380, imo. The Boeing website says the the 747-8 freighter can carry 154 tons of freight over 4,475 nautical miles. That's less in both range and weight than the above quoted numbers on the MD-11 and 777, I would assume the advantage of the 747 vs. those two is volume for bulky or odd cargo pieces. That pretty much leaves the 380 as the only option if they want to go bigger than the 777. The 380F won't be in service for a while and by then, they'll likely be an advanced version to improve on the intital one and possibly add some of whatever they come up for on the 350. FedEx could end up getting two planes that are better than what they originally planned. If we work hard enough together, I'm confident we can come up with the answer(s) here on FI.

I got out my calculator and did some quick cypherin'. Doesn't 154 tons of freight weigh 308,000 lbs.? (154 x 2000 lbs./ton) That seems like quite a bit more than either the MD-11 or 777.

I don't know about range but it would seem the 747-8 has those two aircraft beat in the payload department. Now I know why the "whale" drivers at UAL called the 777 the "light twin". :D

The initial article states a 171,000 lb. revenue payload. Is that a max or just a general ballpark? My only other reference is the MD-11 which will take 180,000 10 hours from TPE to ANC no problem. I would have thought (given the higher Max GW of the 777 over the MD-11), the payload of the 777 would have been higher.
Thanks.

From Boeing's website...

With a maximum takeoff weight of 766,000 pounds (347,450 kilograms), the 777 Freighter will have a revenue payload capability of 229,000 pounds ( 103.9 metric tons).
The 777 Freighter will be capable of flying 4,885 nautical miles (9,047 km) with a full payload and general cargo market densities, making it the world's longest-range freighter.

I got out my calculator and did some quick cypherin'. Doesn't 154 tons of freight weigh 308,000 lbs.? (154 x 2000 lbs./ton) That seems like quite a bit more than either the MD-11 or 777.

:D

Some times it pays to pay attention to units huh? My bad, I wasn't paying attention to the tons vs. pounds so obviously the 747 can carry alot more. Sounds like the range would be an issue, since most airlines' operational figures tend to be lower than what the manufacturer claims. I also suppose there could be a bulk out issue for containers since the 747-8 is only about 8 feet longer than the 777F. How much that is usable deck space I don't know. Reading between the lines on the Boeing commentary on the 747-8, it seems like it is more efficient than the A380 given equal payloads. If however, you believe you have enough freight for an A380 it's no contest(other than getting one in service!)

New airframe for FedEx

Heard a good one today on the line. Was launching my trust ole 727 to Guadalajara this afternoon and the maintainer that was launching us said he was going to B747-400 training tomorrow. Hmmm, I wonder if something else is in the works? Also heard from another pilot that he heard CP say something about 747-400's may be in the future. Anyone else hear anything on this?

Latest resources

Back