Female CFI's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mmmdonut said:
I had two female CFIs.... they were both bitches.
IMHO mmmdoughnut catches for the wrong
team so you can disregard anything he says
about the fair sex.

FlyGirlFelicia,

Are you in this because you want to fly, or
are you in this to prove something? I am
not mocking you. You have to answer that
yourself. Do you even want to be an
instructor, or is there a way for you to build
time without doing that? (I never did instruct
till I got to be a 121 Captain and since then
there have been some good ones)...

One of my IOE CA's was a gal. I have flown
for two other female CA's. Ya know what?
They were all good to me as a first officer,
had strengths that I didn't and they worked
to build a crew...maybe I learned that from
them, the guys always seem to know where
they stand when paired together...and I never
tried to undermine the extra stripe they had.

I have had two female instructors and have
thought highly of both of them. There is a
gal that I used to swap instrument time for
tailwheel time with (geeze, that was in the
'80's) and we still exchange Christmas cards.

The only female pilots that I have been around
that I have taken a disliking to seem to be here
cause they are trying to prove something.
Forgive my crudity but there have been some
cases of preferance given in hiring based on
plumbing. If you are playing the "female"
card to get a job you will be forever resented
for it. If you are here because you are an
aviator there are those that will still resent
you but there are some like me that will pick
up the tab at supper cause we know that you
are getting $hit from some of the other guys.

There are two female aviators that I love
to death. One I'd take a bullet for without
thinking about it...the sadness is that I am
married to neither. The truth is that no
lady should have to put up with me...

Good luck! If you're here for the right reasons,
GO FOR IT!!!

P.S. Everyone is going to hit on you if you are
even halfway cute, don't date pilots...find
yourself a nice doctor that can buy you a Pitts
for a wedding present!

Look back up at my avitar...Hot girl painted
on a hot airplane (an A-26)...the sexism is
rampant...sorry, we're the sailors of this
century...but I gaurantee you will like flying
with me if you end up in the right seat at
Corpex!

hehehe

Belch

PPS...what DAS said...he lacks my waxing
eloquent...probably a lack of single malt on
his part.

Last edited:
Here's a twist: When I was a CFI there was a CFI/DE in San Diego (KMYF?) who was a cross-dresser. A lot of you would recognise him in his "man-guise" because he wrote a monthly article for one of the flying magazines and his picture was always next to it (no, it wasn't Dick Collins). I had heard about it from some other instructors and thought it was a cruel story. Well, one day I'm at the airport and I see the ugliest female pilot (yes, worse than M.K.) getting out of an airplane. It was HIM!... I mean HER!... oh... It was that guy dressed as a woman- makeup, hairdo, the whole deal. It was GNARLY! There have to be some folks on this board who remember that.

Anyway... If we could find some of his/her old students we could get a better answer to the female vs. male CFI question as their perspective would be...unique.

As a general rule I tend to give female pilots the benefit of a doubt, simply because of all the crap they had to get through to get there.

On the other hand there's a lot of sh!tty pilots out there, on both sides of the gender line.

I appreciate all of the feedback and experiences, it's an interesting conversation topic. :) I have to agree, there are quite a few female pilots out there who's ego's and "need to prove something" rival that of our male counterparts. Either way, I think it sucks to fly with anyone who is an dillhole. But I also know that a lot of women have had to work a little harder in this industry sometimes to get where they are. I would really like to make flying a career, but was sort of concerned about students perceptions of female instructors, I'd hate to be a CFI on a schedule without students because no one wants to "learn how to fly from a girl". As for playing the "female" card...Honestly, I know that being female will give me a better chance at getting an interview, however it will be my skills and my attitude that get me the job. Hey, and I'm cute to fly with too. LOL ;)

Innstead of worrying how being a female will affect others, or hold you back, why not try and learn the important stuff...like how to teach and be an effective CFI.

Your priorities seem a little off.

Flygirl,

fwiw, I've found that female students sometimes benefit from some time with a female instructor. Men and women communicate differently. I got my CFI with one of the original '99s, and she had LOTS of female students who were a bit "intimidated?" by some of the older male CFIs and DEs.

Actually, No, they are straight on.

English said:
Innstead of worrying how being a female will affect others, or hold you back, why not try and learn the important stuff...like how to teach and be an effective CFI.

Your priorities seem a little off.

Nope, my priorities are just fine, thanks. It's just a topic that has come up in conversation a few times with other friends who fly and I wanted a broader opinion. Whether you like it or not, people do carry around personal feelings based off of prior experiences. Right now I'm just learning all I can and having fun doing it.

No need to be rude.

I am really considering flying my Instrument rating at another flight school to learn from a NEW CFI, so I may just look for a female instructor, to see if I learn better/worse that way. Personality is so important for me to learn well, and I want to be taught well right off the bat so that I can carry on the good work. I don't personally care either way on whether I fly with a female or male instructor. I just wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks for all your insight. :)

CXCAP,

How often do you have to officially renew your mile high club membership? 3 times in 90 days or every 2 yrs? (equivilant to passenger currency and BFR respectively?)

Has anyone at flight info joined the MHC as PIC? How about all that in IMC?!!! Ca Mon lets all be honest. If so please post some pix of the hot babes which recieved the honor of this initiation!!

After the MHC, which milestone is next??

Latest resources

Back