Female CFI's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyGirlFelicia

Just curious: How many people here fly with female CFI's? What is your experience? I'm eventually looking into becoming a CFI, and I've heard that some students prefer not to fly with a female flight instructor for a lot of crazy reasons. There are no women CFI's at the flight school I attend now, so I have nothing to compare it to. Just curious if it really makes a difference or not.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't see why there would be a difference. They all recieve the same training. The only difference I could think of is they look different from their male counterparts. At least....I hope they do!

Wankel

I've had three different female instructors - one for private, one for instrument, and one for my single engine commercial certificate. All other certificates were done by male instructors.

Some were better than others, but not along gender lines. I don't think it makes any difference at all when it comes to quality of instruction.

I had female instructors for 7 of my 8 ratings. I love flying with female instructors, I personally feel that they have a calming effect on the lesson. They seemed to get the job done just as well as a male would without being nearly as anal about it all. Maybe some kind of "mother-hen" thing going on?

Shouldn't make a difference at all. I've flown with instructors of both genders who were very good, and some who were very bad. I'm sure there are some people out there who don't think women should be flying, but they can just wake up and join the rest of the 21st century.

If you want the CFI, go for it.

Makes no difference if it is male or female, in my experience, the quality of the instructor is determined by the quality of instruction they received as students.

FlyGirlFelicia said:
Just curious: How many people here fly with female CFI's? What is your experience? I'm eventually looking into becoming a CFI, and I've heard that some students prefer not to fly with a female flight instructor for a lot of crazy reasons. There are no women CFI's at the flight school I attend now, so I have nothing to compare it to. Just curious if it really makes a difference or not.

Thanks!
I had a Female CFI for the second half of my Private as well as my Initial CFI training... Also the DE who gave me my Private and my MEI were both female's...

I have flown with some very good female pilots and some very poor female pilots... I can say the same for male pilots...

Only had one female CFI thru all my training...I didn't learn too much, but not because of her gender. I was too distracted because she was hotter than hell!!!

Crosswind79 said:
Only had one female CFI thru all my training...I didn't learn too much, but not because of her gender. I was too distracted because she was hotter than hell!!!

I would agree with you on that. My first Female CFI was drop dead geourges. However I had bad experiences with her when it was that time of the month. Her mood change was scary. Very short temper and not afraid to scream at 1500 feet. Since then I did not want anything to do with female instructors. I also think male pilots kinda have an ego thing. They dont want to be taught how to fly by a girl. Right now I have a female instructor and she is actually proven my past opinions wrong. She is easy to work with and not so testosterone driven.

Latest resources

Back