• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Female CFI's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go for it FlyGirlFelicia - become a CFI !
A person should be judged on their performance and not on gender, race, age, rank ….. and so on.

I CFI'd for a bit (only around 800 hrs) and in that time I can only remember one gentleman who, upon discovering that I was the CFI assigned to conduct his checkout, said that he would feel more comfortable flying with a male pilot. Hey, that's cool...didn't bother me a bit. As previously mentioned, there are also quite a few females who felt more comfortable with a female instructor. No big deal either way. If you want to fly for a living, you take these kind of things in stride no matter what your gender is. It's all cool....

Don't know if this counts for the mile high club, but I went up with my girlfriend in college and didn't want to risk too much cause no autopilot....So I let her "take the stick" if you know what I mean - In retrospect I should have done it with the female CFI....Loved flying in August when she wore short shorts and tiny tank-tops.....

The girl who I did my CFI training with, graduated from Western Michigan Univ. with me, no complaints at all =)

FlyGirlFelicia said:
Just curious: How many people here fly with female CFI's? What is your experience? I'm eventually looking into becoming a CFI, and I've heard that some students prefer not to fly with a female flight instructor for a lot of crazy reasons. There are no women CFI's at the flight school I attend now, so I have nothing to compare it to. Just curious if it really makes a difference or not.

Thanks!

HMR said:
Here's a twist: When I was a CFI there was a CFI/DE in San Diego (KMYF?) who was a cross-dresser. A lot of you would recognise him in his "man-guise" because he wrote a monthly article for one of the flying magazines and his picture was always next to it (no, it wasn't Dick Collins). I had heard about it from some other instructors and thought it was a cruel story. Well, one day I'm at the airport and I see the ugliest female pilot (yes, worse than M.K.) getting out of an airplane. It was HIM!... I mean HER!... oh... It was that guy dressed as a woman- makeup, hairdo, the whole deal. It was GNARLY! There have to be some folks on this board who remember that.

Anyway... If we could find some of his/her old students we could get a better answer to the female vs. male CFI question as their perspective would be...unique.

THAT IS JC BOYLLS, HE IS THE KING SCHOOLS PRACTICAL TEST VIDEOS. I WAS CREEPED OUT WHEN I FOUND OUT!!!!

I flew with a couple of female CFI's years ago. Both of them were quite good pilots and were well-respected by the other instructors, renters and students at the FBO they flew out of. One of the women went to fly for Horizon and the other became a test pilot for Boeing.

JC Boyls, love him or not, is a great instructor. He was CFI of the year once or twice I think. He used to fly out of Hangar 10 at Palomar when I was there. Yeah, he looks like Ben Franklin, but he knows his crap.

I flew with a female CFI for the last part of my private training, and my examiner for the private was also a female. Nothing but good things to say about both of them :)

Latest resources

Back