• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Feeling sorry for the ComAir guys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Junior captain will be a 1990 hire, most junior pilot 1999. Approximately 500 pilots to be furloughed from the roster of 1100-1200 currently active...

Not official numbers

You are appealing to emotions that I don't have. This is the airline game. If you don't know much about it, let me tell you that furloughs are a reality. The 50 seater has been dying for quite some time now. All the RJ drivers thought that the 50 seat RJ was the savior of the industry, and so wildly profitable. I've been saying forever that it was only profitable on long, thin routes, when businessmen had money to burn in order to pay for frequency, or when they were subsidized--that's right--subsidized by bloated fee-for-departure agreements which heavily benefitted contract carriers. These only when gas was below $50--which it ain't.

Those days have ended, as predicted by many--including me. All of those glory days in the RJ world came at the expense of one group, junior mainline pilots--which I was NOT a member of. However, my loyalty lies with them--a few of which were even <gasp> Comair pilots.

My answer was a simple "no", except that you have to have at least 4 characters. We can delve into the RJDC game all you wish, for that is a whole different line of questioning. I can wipe you out in that debate as well. Nobody cried for Delta pilots out on the street, Comair gladly accepted the massive influx of flying, and lived the high life for a decade. It is over. That's what contract flying is. You can set up all the threads you want to cry in your soup, or you can suck it up and move on. I've flown with many furloughed pilots, and heard some of the greatest opportunistic success stories ever in their moment of despair.

It would be nice if you could furlough the senior, but you can't. Succeed despite.

Apparently you have some emotion about it to write such a lengthy reply. Where did I bring up the RJDC? I don't even work for Comair. So please, settle down, and think again about how you don't feel sorry for guys about to lose their income in a very tough economy. Kinda sad when you think about it.

No, it's the one that certifies that your mom and dad were brother and sister resulting in the aftermath we call crj567.

You need more practice with insults... Try harder-like the way you try to please all your boyfriends down at LBB.

-Assmunch

Yes, too bad for the COMAIR guys and gals. Good news for the majors though. About time the career destroying RJ is put out to pasture.

Apparently you have some emotion about it to write such a lengthy reply. Where did I bring up the RJDC? I don't even work for Comair. So please, settle down, and think again about how you don't feel sorry for guys about to lose their income in a very tough economy. Kinda sad when you think about it.

No, I don't. Here is your quote:

You are about the only Delta pilot that understands this simple fact. Losers like PuffDriver seem to be representative of the rest of the tards on this website.

The response was to your use of the word "losers" and "tards". You seem to feel that someone unemotional about the downsizing of Comair is such a person. Instead of responding in kind like you wanted, aka flaming, I told you that you are appealing to emotions that I do not possess. There is no "settling down" to be done.

I do not feel sorry for Comair or its pilots. They had a great run, and they did it under a false guise that their airline was great. In fact, it was not. It was subsidized. I predicted long ago that the regionals would lose their lucrative agreements with the majors, and the bubble would burst while they were chiding everyone about how "profitable" they were. T'wernt true.

I little dose of humility just might do the regional industry some good. it's a losing enterprise which will be marginal at best. That is why you are seeing Republic and Skywest feverishly trying to grow.

i know that you think you've got everything pegged, but you don't.

I feel sorry for them. What a horrible thing to have to go through.

Every airline in the US is hated by some pilots for some reason.

You know a bunch would be happy if SWA was having a huge furlough. (pay for type? screw them)
Same goes for Jetblue. (media darling, screw them)
Same goes for UAL. (let all those under qualified women eat it)
Same goes for CAL. (scabs on the list, low pay. Screw them)

Lots of hate out there.

Most of that comair list are just a bunch of honest pilots like you and me trying to make a living. I wish them the best.

ok. Time to be a jerk.

I feel bad for the comair people. Do i feel bad for comair?

Nope.

The bitches at delta should have kept their flying in-house to begin with and this would have never happened.

Gup

that!

Yes, too bad for the COMAIR guys and gals. Good news for the majors though. About time the career destroying RJ is put out to pasture.

Quite roight! And to that I shall drink heartily!

I'm not into pity. Or chest thumping on either side. Outsourcing has been awful for ALL pilots and it's a very good thing overall for any of the sjp's to downsize - at least as long as they aren't replaced by another carrier. An airline should employ pilots to fly it's own planes- that ought to be obvious to all regardless of individual situations.

If you're a pilot anywhere and aren't a good saver- -> bad news. We have to save more than the average citizen bc of the difficulty we have in replacing our income - there are always opportunities to come out ahead.

So who should I feel sorry for? Those that didn't pursue other opportunities? Those who didn't save for the rainy day? Those not driven or talented enough to successfully move on?

The cart has been leading the horse for way too long.

The only empathy I have is how convoluted the career decision has been in the last decade- how many moved on who didn't get furloughed? But still- not taking a risk is usually pretty risky itself

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back