• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Feeling sorry for the ComAir guys?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Not our fault" or whatever, but Comair and ASA grew 30%/year while Delta furloughed 1000+ ... me inlcuded. Sure most line dudes were not part of the lawsuit or decision to not hire furloughed Delta, but not many tears were shed from CMR as they were upgrading and getting PIC to get jobs elsewhere while Delta guys were struggling on the street.

I was on a paid ticket on furlough and got talking with the Comair captain during a ground delay. He was a tool and told me I should be mad at ALPA for not agreeing to mainline Delta pilots doing all the rj flying back in the day. According to this dude, ALPA caved on scope so you reap what you sow etc. "Good luck by the way...."

So, too bad that guy won't be on the street himself. I feel bad for those guys getting furlough, but had mainline Delta pilots NOT gotten furloughed, many Comair would not have been hired. Sorry, but no sympathy from me.

You are about the only Delta pilot that understands this simple fact. Losers like PuffDriver seem to be representative of the rest of the tards on this website.

You are appealing to emotions that I don't have. This is the airline game. If you don't know much about it, let me tell you that furloughs are a reality. The 50 seater has been dying for quite some time now. All the RJ drivers thought that the 50 seat RJ was the savior of the industry, and so wildly profitable. I've been saying forever that it was only profitable on long, thin routes, when businessmen had money to burn in order to pay for frequency, or when they were subsidized--that's right--subsidized by bloated fee-for-departure agreements which heavily benefitted contract carriers. These only when gas was below $50--which it ain't.

Those days have ended, as predicted by many--including me. All of those glory days in the RJ world came at the expense of one group, junior mainline pilots--which I was NOT a member of. However, my loyalty lies with them--a few of which were even <gasp> Comair pilots.

My answer was a simple "no", except that you have to have at least 4 characters. We can delve into the RJDC game all you wish, for that is a whole different line of questioning. I can wipe you out in that debate as well. Nobody cried for Delta pilots out on the street, Comair gladly accepted the massive influx of flying, and lived the high life for a decade. It is over. That's what contract flying is. You can set up all the threads you want to cry in your soup, or you can suck it up and move on. I've flown with many furloughed pilots, and heard some of the greatest opportunistic success stories ever in their moment of despair.

It would be nice if you could furlough the senior, but you can't. Succeed despite.

You are about the only Delta pilot that understands this simple fact. Losers like PuffDriver seem to be representative of the rest of the tards on this website.

Thanks but before you hail me a hero.....When a CMR guy comes to me looking for a jumpseat I see his date of hire before the date of that memo and I just give him a briefing and show him the seat......end of the conversation.....the minimum is all he gets. If he's hired after that memo, I'll give him my crew meal and carry his bags.......

Again, Never forget.......(a message to ALL pilots who think they can pi$s on each other and get away with it)

The Canadair RJ line was built because of Comair's interest. When Comair showed the world it could make a RJ sized jet work, the American Eagles and Continental Expresses of the world jumped in (not to mention Embrear and the other RJ makers) with both feet to the tune of a couple of thousand RJ's (total). And far surpassed the pioneering Comair in size, scope, breath and depth of the small jet market.

Something to remember, and it doesn't just pertain to COMAIR. The costs of operating the RJ's back then was NOTHING like it is now. Fuel was cheaper, obviously. But so was the labor to operate them. You had pilots flying those things for turboprop wages, and many of the carriers back then weren't even unionized yet.

As pathetic as RJ wages are now, they are better than they were then. Which sadly has done NOTHING but contribute to the whipsaw the regionals have been in since the legacy BK's.

ACA (pre I-Air), COMAIR, AWAC, XJT, etc all worked/working under concessionary agreements. Sad and pathetic.

As far as the thread topic, yep, sucks for the COMAIR guys and gals.

Thanks but before you hail me a hero.....When a CMR guy comes to me looking for a jumpseat I see his date of hire before the date of that memo and I just give him a briefing and show him the seat......end of the conversation.....the minimum is all he gets. If he's hired after that memo, I'll give him my crew meal and carry his bags.......

Again, Never forget.......(a message to ALL pilots who think they can pi$s on each other and get away with it)

Which memo is that? The one from the National Academy of Sciences confirming your status as the first completely gay pygmy airline captain?

-Got to be a first of everything, I guess.

Which memo is that? The one from the National Academy of Sciences confirming your status as the first completely gay pygmy airline captain?

-Got to be a first of everything, I guess.

CRJ......don't make me cut the leash on SCOPE.....

He has pretty much beat your Mom into believing she should have considered an abortion....

OK. Time to be a jerk.

I feel bad for the Comair PEOPLE. Do I feel bad for Comair?

NOPE.

The bitches at Delta should have kept their flying in-house to begin with and this would have never happened.

Gup

CRJ......don't make me cut the leash on my gimp-the last time that happened, I couldn't sit for a week.........

Gary Coleman pretty much beat my Mom into believing she should have considered an abortion....(Oh well-water under the bridge, i guess.)

That ain't much of an achievement. I think I will get up bright and early tomorrow, go and have a nice strawberry smoothie down at the mall..... After that, I will run by and tongue-box your mom's fartbox, and maybe take a break to read a book.

-Smoochie boochies, asswagon!

Last edited:
I'm gonna show Lumberg some love. Every one who was at Comair or Delta at the time knows which memo he refers to. I saw JC shortly after he put it out. I told him then that he made a huge mistake. He should have told management: "You do the hiring, you set the policy". Instead, he got kingmaker syndrome. Delta guys do not know who was with him or against him. Lumberg is right to play it cool with those on the list at that time. There's no way to know who you are dealing with, so don't hate on 'em, but don't show the love either. It is yet another reason I'm happy to be in fracland and far away from the airline game!

OK. Time to be a jerk.

I feel bad for the Comair PEOPLE. Do I feel bad for Comair?

NOPE.

The bitches at Delta should have kept their flying in-house to begin with and this would have never happened.

Gup

Yup. And some might say that while Delta pilots were trying to put the genie back in the bottle, along came a company where pilots had to get their own type rating, severely undercut ALPA wages, worked over their vacations, and hung on the bar--taking leverage away and giving it to Delta management to continue the erosion of scope.

We can play this game forever.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back