• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex Plane Down In Japan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank you. I just hope you don't fly an RJ or you'll be getting multiple lectures on tact and decency.

Has absolutely nothing to do with what you fly.

It does, however have everything to do with your choice of words. You may as well have titled your post 'Why can't FEDEX pilots land planes?'......That kind of inflammatory wording is guaranteed to tick just a few folks off at a very sensitive time such as this.

You may as well have titled your post 'Why can't FEDEX pilots land planes?'.......

If I wanted to say that, I would have. That FedEx has suffered a disproportionate number of approach accidents resulting in hull losses is a fact. It's not my opinion, not my speculation, just a cold, hard fact.

Why that is so, I don't know, nor claim to know, but if this doesn't look like some kind of a systemic failure, I don't know what does.

Bulldozing me, because I don't have quite enough hours won't change that.

What is relaxed stability and is it more of a slow airspeed characteristic as in approach to landings?

Anyone with 11 experience please.

Nothing wrong with an RJ....almsot every 777 pilot you speak of with 26K TT started in them.

I submit to you that very few current 777 pilots started in an RJ, and close to zero 777 captains. The RJ was not around long enough ago for the vast majority of 777 pilots to have started on it.

Well, not that I know much......

I have heard the MD-11 is hard to land, due to the smaller stab.

FedEx is the largest operator of MD-11 and hence the odds are they will have the highest numbers of incidences.

I am saddened by the deaths of these two aviators, may the scotch be 30 years old in heaven!

What is relaxed stability and is it more of a slow airspeed characteristic as in approach to landings?..

It's more like a mild form of dynamic instability, where the amplitude and resulting deviation from an airspeed or altitude target will slowly increase without proper control input. Slowed to approach speed in turbulent air it would make maintaining a stablized approach more difficult. The LSAS system on the MD-11 is supposed help dampen this tendency out.

The MD-11 is designed to cruise with a very aft CG to minimize fuel burn, a condition that is controled by metering fuel into the horizontal stab fuel tank at cruise, and removing it during initial decent. Even with the tail tank empty, the aircraft is still more aft CG loaded than most, which may contribute to the handling issues the airplane seems to have.

An aircraft that has dynamic stability experiences decreasing deviations from airspeed/altitude targets without control inputs.

Funny how everyone can say something but has anyone flown the Md-11 on here, I would like to hear what they have to say. I have heard it was a great plane to fly after the software update and a nice one to land. god bless them both.

Latest resources

Back