• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEDEX MOAB Place your bets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with pastv1 about the "seat locks." I don't think (hope) there will be any actual seat locks. There just won't be another bid for at least a year, maybe two, although from all the latest rumors on here it sounds like just the one year. You won't be seat locked if you bid up a seat, you'll only be "locked" if you choose to stay put and won't have another opportunity to bid up until the next bid, just like always.

They trained out of order on the last big bid, and probably will again. If you don't want to have new hires moving to a right seat ahead of you then you definitely need to bid up on this bid. If you choose to stay put for seniority sake (and who can blame you) then just be prepared to maybe sit put for another 2 years.

FJ

Just curious but why is the number of posts always brought up when someone disagrees with a statement? Are the number of posts like seniority? Just trying to catch up on how this works...Now SWA pilots aren't strange, they're just special. Just kidding, I wouldn't think of rock throwing. Maybe we should call it stone tossing instead. :)

Zo..bigmouth here...we are just having fun..passing along info when we get it and busting balls...no more no less...but on the regionals board they go for the jugular!

1) On the snow day Friday - +SN was called on ATIS for about 45 minutes starti ng around 1515 - by 1600 to 1900 it was all -SN or SN with no restrictions and very decent holdover times. The problem with Memphis was the deice capability - they took (and said it on the radio several times) 30-45 mins per widebody - and this w/o any ice in the area. No that would not happen in IND.

2) Of course taking VLT, DRF, etc. is prol eponging negotiations. Talk to ANY block and they will tell you this. If you've been to any of the hub meatings you'd know this. The Union cannot ask for no overtime until self help - read up on the Railway and Labor Act Echopapa - you can't be this stupid and be a member.

Fyi

Someone posted something about a "sick-out" being a legal work action.

Better get your facts straight. ABX pilots had a case that went to the 6th Circuit and they were found guilty of an illegal work action (cannot find the site right now, but give me until after the 24th, and I'm all yours!!).

American had some similar issues in the past.

Keeping everyone informed!

Better get your facts straight.

A sick out was listed as part of a spectrum of actions, up to and including a strike, followed by the caveat that

[F]ederal law has placed limits on when each of these tools may be used. Specifically, what you are proposing is not allowed until we have ended our cooling off period and released into self help.

I just dunno, guys... I don't see how not doing Draft, VLT, and all that junk could speed up the process. The company couldn't care less either way. I mean, you can wear your hat to show your support, but it isn't going to get anything signed any earlier. The company had the time frame all mapped out well before we started, and they aren't going to go any faster because no one sells back vacation time. It might show you will not "help out" while this thing drags on, but I don't think it is hurting. What WOULD hurt is for everyone to take their scheduled MEM DH!

Please don't throw stones- I am just trying to figure this out, and NO I am not doing the extra flying. I am being a good little union boy. But, I really don't think it is making this go faster..... just my 2 cents.

Babylon said:
1) On the snow day Friday - +SN was called on ATIS for about 45 minutes starti ng around 1515 - by 1600 to 1900 it was all -SN or SN with no restrictions and very decent holdover times. The problem with Memphis was the deice capability - they took (and said it on the radio several times) 30-45 mins per widebody - and this w/o any ice in the area. No that would not happen in IND.
Babylon said:
Man I still think you are wrong. Ice is easy.
We were one of the first to get out and we got to the car wash (one of 5 or6 they had going) in about 10 minutes then it took 20 minutes to de-ice us and 15 to anti-ice. We were in an A300 and we had 4 trucks on us. From my personal experience with de-icing (worked the ramp for Delta in the 80s) Heavy wet snow is the hardest thing to get off the aircraft it takes forever. Our biggest slow down with all the NWA and Airlink planes that got out got de-iced then had to return to the gate to get more gas. The vis was so bad that ATC couldn't see much and they had people going everywhere. We were out of the car wash within 45 minutes (give or take) from block out and our taxi time was 1+45. We were right at our 1 hour to 1+30 hold over time when we took off and had burned almost 5,000 lbs of gas.
It always took Indy about 20 minutes to de-ice the MD never heavy snow though (only had it done there 4 or 5 times) I never got anti-iced there but I'd bet it would take 15 or so. Big airplanes take some time to clean off and the back lash from the airport closing I think it went as well as it might have anywhere.
The northeast guys are great with snow and ice, wonder how they are doing yesterday and today. The weather can get the best of anyone. IMHO

Babylon said:
Of course taking VLT, DRF, etc. is prol eponging negotiations. Talk to ANY block and they will tell you this. If you've been to any of the hub meatings you'd know this. The Union cannot ask for no overtime until self help - read up on the Railway and Labor Act Echopapa - you can't be this stupid and be a member.

Of course the obvious implication is that I am stupid. Your personal insults are a poor excuse to a well thought out argument based on fact and logic.

I am a Union member and I am not stupid (my wife may differ), and yes I disagree with you on this.

I have been to union meetings and have spoken to union reps and have never been told or even "wink wink" nudged toward not flying Vlt/Draft. If you are suggesting that the Union is forwarding that communication, even in an informal manner, I suggest you have misunderstood. When you post that our Union is advocating an job action prior to being released to self help you are giving the company ammunition for a court case and doing us all a disservice.

Repeat after me...."The union is NOT advocating that I stop flying Vlt/Draft, either in a formal or informal manner. It is a personal decision, and not related to any organized attempt to influence contract negotations." If you are the "expert" on the RLA as you imply, you should know that.

My point, which you have missed, is that an uncoordinated, hap-hazard, unplanned attempt by a fraction of our pilot group to influence the pace of contract negotiations by not flying Vlt/Draft will not be effective. Instead it will be a disservice by taking away a tool from our pilot group when we can use it to our benefit in a coordinated manner (for example during peak after we have been released to self help).

If the company is dependant on crewmembers flying Drft/Vlt then when you take it away all at once when they need it the most then you will have the maximum influence on negotiations.

If instead, you get a small number of pilots who stop flying Drft/Vlt slowly over the course of 12 months, all the while the company fills the trips with pilots who do fly Drft/Vlt, then the comany will adjust its manning slowly to compensate for that slowly change in percentile of those that accept overtime. At some point, the manning will include enough reserves so that there will be no need for vlt/draft in the first place.

Hey...Echopapa...what about snow days..when they really need us? Won't it help us then?

NO...FedEx doesn't give refunds for weather related events. So having one or 40 trips cancelled as a result of lack of crewmembers stemming from a weather event will not cost the company any money at all.

Last edited:
Echopapa said:
Hey...Echopapa...what about snow days..when they really need us? Won't it help us then?

NO...FedEx doesn't give refunds for weather related events. So having one or 40 trips cancelled as a result of lack of crewmembers stemming from a weather event will not cost the company any money at all.

Excellent point!!

I was called 3X for draft this past Friday evening..........thanks but no thanks!!

Latest resources

Back