• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Fedex: Just got the call. What now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think we should let more people not prep for the interview since it falls under "pay for training" according to some of the people on here

that way those guys who prepped by via paid interview prep have that many more slots to fill when the other guys fail the interview

fine with me

reddog said:
RAC,

Are you saying that if you got the opportunity to interview for your dream job you wouldn't be sure to stack the deck in your favor to better your chances? Especially when so many people who have successfully gone before you recommend it. I hardly believe that. If so, your judgment is as bad as your spelling!

You are correct on all issues,I was given the oportunity of a lifetime,interviewed without professionel coaching and got the job.You are also correct I can't spell,but I can fly one hell of an airplane and present myself in a professionel manner in an interview. I now instruct these newhires, and sometime wonder how they pulled the wool over the eyes of our HR department.

RAC396 said:
You are correct on all issues,I was given the oportunity of a lifetime,interviewed without professionel coaching and got the job.You are also correct I can't spell,but I can fly one hell of an airplane and present myself in a professionel manner in an interview. I now instruct these newhires, and sometime wonder how they pulled the wool over the eyes of our HR department.

Well, I guess that pretty much says it all! Since you're such a phenomenal pilot it must be difficult having to instruct new hires. What an arduous task. You are either a poser or a complete @ss. Probably both.:laugh:

You are correct on all issues,I was given the oportunity of a lifetime,interviewed without professionel coaching and got the job.You are also correct I can't spell,but I can fly one hell of an airplane and present myself in a professionel manner in an interview. I now instruct these newhires, and sometime wonder how they pulled the wool over the eyes of our HR department. (RAC396)

RAC, when you prepare for a trip do you look at the approach plates, SIDs/STARs, Class B/C airspace, NOTAMs, Wx, terrain, etc...? If you're going to an unfamiliar field do you spend a little extra time on that information? Or do you just blindly sign the flight plan and step to the airplane? If you're the professional pilot that you claim to be, I'm sure that you look at every piece of information that you can get your hands on. Why then are you criticizing those of us who took the same approach with the most important day in our flying careers? I too am confident in my flying skills and professionalism. However, I'd never been to an interview anything like what I experienced in Memphis. I wanted someone who would show me how to present myself in the most positive light possible. Someone who would take MY stories and ensure that I was able to tell them without getting my tongue tied. Someone who would give me a little information on the process so that I wasn't blindly stumbling into unfamiliar territory.
To be honest, RAC, I would question the professionalism of someone who is willing to gamble an opportunity like a FedEx (or UPS/Southwest/JetBlue/etc.) on his (perceived) superior flying and interview skills. If you're willing to to take on that kind of risk, what other risks are you going to take throughout your career? I am very happy that I went to Albie and was fortunate enough to be hired. However, had I not been selected after choosing to forgo the interview preparation, I would have spent a lifetime kicking myself for not doing everything within my power to prepare.
If you want to attack someone for the inability of newhires to live up to your expectations, take it up with HR - not those of us who simply wanted to maximize our chances of getting (insert personal bias blurb here) the best job in the industry today.

Bamaboy

RAC396 said:

I think you're are full of poo poo. If you know anything about Fedex, you would know that HR has nothing to do with who gets hired! It's all up to the pilots in the process.

Incidently, I personaly feel that I'm nothing more than average pilot. I over achieve through preparation. But whatever. The moment you think you know it all you're dead!

As Albie and other people have said, interview prep it is not about "inside information" at any company. It is about learning to communicate, telling your stories in a succinct manner, and receiving feedback about how answers can (and will) be perceived.

Interviews at each airline (or company for that matter) are different, yet the same. Airlines interview First Officers, but they hire Captains. They are looking for good judgment, leadership skills and the ability to work well with others. When you are participating in an interview, you are marketing a product - you.

Sales Representatives do not go into a sales call not knowing their product or not anticipating objections. If a sales rep were to come to your house to sell you a product, how impressed would you be if he did not know his merchandise or did not address any of your concerns? The same thing happens in an interview.

As a Hiring Manager for many years at two different companies, I wanted to know that you understood MY product, and could tell me why you were the best FIT to represent my product. There are some great people out there that simply do not understand how to communicate their value. That is what interview prep does - nothing more, nothing less.

I do not consider myself to be an "opportunist," nor do I believe that any of my colleagues that also conduct interview prep fall into that category.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back