• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FEDEX Fall Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gloating? Not me. I'm having a hard enough time just keeping my head above water as I paddle around the pool. And obviously guys like you and Huck have a better idea of what is going on within the company than those of us bobbing around waiting for our turn, but....I don't think it is a secret that airlines like USAir, United, and in some respects American, were heading into trouble before Sept 11. If I remember correctly, Northwest was the only major still hiring, and they were already curtailing training dates. Sept 11 just accelerated a process that had already begun. Obviously, even SWA and JetBlue aren't above financial difficulties, but I think they've set a model that the other major airlines are going to have to study if they want to make a move back into the black.

Now, with regard to FedEx...1st quarter net profits rise 45% and their stock is upgraded to a strong buy by almost every analyst that covers them. Most of the increase in profit has come as a result of ground shipping, but projections are air cargo is the fastest (only?) growing segment of the airline industry and Boeing projects it will triple in the next 20 years. I have obviously had absolutely nothing to do with any of that, but I do rest easy in the knowledge that FedEx is probably not feeling a huge pinch from any slowdown in the economy. In fact, just the opposite appears to be the case. That was the gist of my point to Huck. Nothing more.
With regard to your comments about contracts and unions, powerful unions are a wonderful thing for union members employed by a strong company, but a quick look at United reveals the result of pathetic management and aggressive union bosses all seeking competing goals. At the rate the pool is draining, (and with my timing with Guard obligations) I may still be in the pool while the next FedEx contract is negotiated. If so, I hope it is negotiated with both the interests of the pilots and company in mind. I work with a bunch of guys furloughed from other airlines, that are more concerned about their airlines survival than that 20% pay raise they just achieved.

All good points....

Six months ago a furloughed buddy from UAL went to Paris on passes (even though he was furloughed) and I was a bit envious. Now as he tries to juggle part time ANG and other potential jobs while he waits to go (hopefully) go back to UAL in 2-5 years, I am just thrilled to be at FedEx. I'll fork over the cash for the tickets as long as I have a JOB...and you can't eat airline passes when times get tough.

I don't know enough about union issues and previous wage battles to say very much intelligent about the issue. To the company, I'm a probationary pilot. To the union, I am an apprentice. Seems to me that pretty much means "wear your pin, but don't open your hole too much"...and so I try to listen more than talk on any union issues. However, somewhere between "fair share" and "killing the golden goose" there has got to be some fair settlement in 2004. I'll defer to profile, et al. for the "big picture" on mgt verses labor at FedEx.

However...like you...in this economy it is nice to see GOOD news for a change, and so far our company seems to be doing things right. Despite the standard mgt verses labor noise out there it really is a great place to work. I hope your pool drains quickly and you guys are in training early in the spring. I know you're ready to rock whereever and whenever they send you, but perhaps you can at least have a line number before you (or we..) go.

Does anyone know if FedEx is continuing to interview this Fall? My furlough date at AA/TWA is getting closer...and closer...

Hey md8pilot,

Not to bum you out but from what I've been reading on this board FedEx will not interview furloughed dudes.

Good Luck

My furlough date isn't until January...hopefully I'll get an interview before......if they are still interviewing.

Fedex Interviews

I recently started at Fedex and my class was told that we would be the last class until next year. 3 people in my class are on furlough from a major US Airline with hubs in Charlotte and Pittsburgh. There have also been smaller groups of people interviewing as late as last week. Currently Fedex has closed the internet application process but you can still update online if you were already in the system. There are plenty of furloughees on the property though. They did require them to provide copies of their resignation letters to their previous employers.

I should have written...."unless you are furloughed from USAir." FedEx figures those pilots won't be going back. From what I heard no interview if you are furloughed from the big three.

I have heard people say that the next class could be in Jan. and some people say the spring, does anybody have a good guess on what the chances of a Jan class are.

My unemployment runs out in two weeks and I need to figure out what I am going to do.

U2FDX

Last edited:
U2FDX said:
I have heard people say that the next class could be in Jan. and some people say the spring, does anybody have a good guess on what the chances of a Jan class are.
Last year classes started back up in early February. If anyone knows of a January class last year, please speak up. I started mid-Mar, and I think there were 3 classes ahead of mine. Good luck.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back