FEDEX Fall Classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm in the pool also

Sorry for the late reply...been away for awhile.

I'm in the pool as well.

Interview date: 3-4 June 2002

Pool Call date: 26 July 2002

Availability: Immediately, if not sooner!

Thanks W8n4SWA,

Kav

Sorry it's taken so long to get this list going...lots going on at home & work right now. Putting the list together and when I get back from a 3 day trip this week I'll send it in.

Thanks to w8n4swa for the leg work. I interviewed 3/4 June and got the good news 21 June. Now swimming with the rest of you in a pool that is in dire need of shocking!

Talked to KD on several occasions (all conversations were pre-cancel)...she gave the impression that the 3/4 June interview class was on the bubble for the cancelled 30 Sep class. Optimistically, that would put some of us in the second class after training resumes.

'Sup Leroy.

MaxFly, do you live in NY?

TTBoy

Has anyone seen the list for the pool? Still waiting to see the list that w8n4swa is putting together.

Sent in the list this morning..

Hey all,
Again..sorry for the delay getting this list started. I just sent in the list this morning...17 members strong. The system administrator mentioned something about file size and disk space...the swa pool list file is rather large and may require a change of format to shrink ths size. Hopefully we'll see the FDX Pool List posted soon. Thanks for your patience,

W8n4swa:cool:

Word on the inside is they cancelled the classes because the other aircraft programs (A-300, DC-10, etc.) were falling behind the 727 in all the upgrade training required. In other words, 727 training ramped up to replace alot of people who are not leaving the plane as fast as planned. That's better news than my first assumption - that the slumping economy was affecting us.

Good luck guys. It's a blast here.

Slumping economy?? Hopefully this economy will "slump" for a while because Fedex is currently kicking butt! Passenger airlines are taking it on the chin, but they've had it coming a long time before Sept 11. Folks who've been with Fedex for a couple years say a break in training over the Christmas Season is standard. If I have to wait a few more months to join the only flying company with a stock that has actually gained since September 11, than I guess life could be worse.

Eaaasy there Rock. Your post might be mistaken for gloating (which I doubt it was), which in these tough times would be bad form.

It is true FedEx is doing well at the moment. We are lucky/blessed/insightful or whatever to be working there vice Delta, American, etc. However...as we go into contract negotiations in 2004, the last thing we want to see is concessionary contracts from our pax brothers. Remember...UAL and DAL contracts set a new standard. UPS next year will likely be our most attainable benchmark. In any case, we (as the pilot force) all do better when EVERYONE is doing well. Bruce Cheever said in our indoc class that FedEx was like Mohammad Ali....who Bruce claimed was the best boxer because he boxed as well backing up as he did going forward. The analogy is that FedEx's aggressive cost control helps the company remain profitable, even in trying times like these.

One point to remember, however, is the same "cost control" formula means FedEx stays lean and "underhires". Guys who work overtime and sell back vacation, etc. make up the difference in capacity. Check previous posts on the issue--however--the tradeoff for young guys for the great job security (which we appreciate) is slower advancement for those of us on the property and longer waits in the pool for guys like you. Retirements might help drain the pool, as would mobilization of many of the military guys at FedEx if Iraq heats up. However...the best way to drain the pool is for the economy to start picking up, with a corresponding increase in freight volumes. Another economy issue--a LOT of over 60 guys are staying on the panel...I can't speak for them but if they are like the other 95% of people who invested in 401ks, etc. along the way I'm sure they aren't feeling as prosperous as they were in 2000. So...some retiring folks are simply "swapping seats" verses leaving the company. I met a nice jumpseater today who was an MD11 guy who will move to the panel on the 727 in December...but I don't know the percentage of guys who quit for good verses just change jobs.

Here's hoping EVERYONE is back on the job soon....

Latest resources

Back