FedEx dumps Jeppesen

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FedEx1 said:
Now for the hard part- every pilot has to do the CMI or the program cannot move forward. So get on all your buddies to get it done as soon as possible!!!
Just publish a list of guys who are keeping us from dumping our Jepps on VIPS. . .
With their home and cell phone numbers. . .

PurpleTail said:
If I remember correctly the FO's will still have to carry charts for 1 year and I believe that is an FAA issue and not FDX (sticking to the pilots anyway they can) issue:rolleyes:

http://www.paperlesscockpit.com/files/pdf/ACFD29F.pdf

You are correct the amount of time varries from FSDO to FSDO, my guy told me 6 months for a part 91 operation.

At SWA we are looking at the same product. I hear we will probably be changing over in the next 12 months or so. It is a function of cost I believe.

I used the Swiss Air version of Jepps which was the same as the Lufthansa syst. The paper quality and graphics were beter then what Jepps has to offer.

EFB's are great for not having to carry Jepps BUT they are difficult to use. Their is no way to transfer from page to page quickly (last minute rwy change or a last minute clearance outside the US). I find the text is harder to read then the actual paper version.

All things considered they are nice but they are an intermediate answer. Cockpits like the G550 and Falcon EZ cockpits are really the answer. Planeview, where the data is presented on the display unit connected to real time GPS is absolulty 100X better then an EFB.

I don't know the specifics, but the guy I flew with that is in charge of the program for fedex did say things like "moving map for GPS/FMS airplanes" (sorry 727 guys). He also said the screen was a touch pad, so one touch will change the plate to the airport diagram, another ILS, etc.

It was hard to concentrate once when he mentioned I wouldnt have to carry Jepps in the future.

I would be surprised to see moving map GPS. Currently the FAA is not granting any EFB access to an aircrafts nav data base, IRS or GPS position. The FAA has decided that connecting an external EFB to an aircraft has the possibility of corrupting the aircrafts existing data so they say no way. The aircraft mf's have decied their is no money in it for them so they are taking the atitude, why would we make our GPS position (for example) available to the EFB (what's init for Boeing or Airbus)? Their are to many different EFBS and the ARINC data (429 bus) needs to be broken down to something that the EFB can use. Their are no plug and play units because the avionics data is proprietary from the mfr.

The only way to get GPS moving map is to have an external GPS. Which would actually be eaiser to get for the 727 because they were retro fitted with GPS vs trying to take it directly from the A300 avionics position information directly.

The other way is to have it installed from the factory as new equipment (G550 or Falcon EZ cockpit) where the mfr can now charge you more to get it (Already incorporated in the aircraft as original equipment)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back