Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fr8doggie

Canis Onus
Just got the memo that we are dumping Jeppesen in favor of a product developed by Lufthansa. This is in preperation for switching to Lufthansa's electronic product next year.

Anybody using the Lufthansa system now? If so how do you compare it to Jepps? Does any US major have the EFB yet or are we going to be the first?

LIDO!!!!!! to sum it up in two words..... IT SUCKS! We use LIDO for flight planning and it's the biggest POS you have ever seen. The best thing you guys could do for us is to switch over too, that way we will BOTH be equally f...ed up in the flight planning regime! I've not seen their charts yet but if they are ANYTHING like their flight planning software.... lookout!
We too will probably get them when we switch over to EFB's in the coming years.

Last edited:
fr8doggie said:
Anybody using the Lufthansa system now? If so how do you compare it to Jepps? Does any US major have the EFB yet or are we going to be the first?
I participated in the first round of EFB testing in the MD-11 where we got to see Jeppesen's product and LIDO's product. I would say that the charts and graphics are several orders of magnitude better than the Jepps. The graphics are more clear, contain better information, and are far easier to read. The only drawback was getting used to the newness of the format, i.e., knowing where to look for a particular piece of information. Of course, that was the same problem I had learning to use Jepps in the first place, coming from the military. I beleive we will be accomplishing a CMI course to orient everyone to the new charts.

Take a peek at Lufthansa Systems - Air Navigation Services for a sample of what's to come. I think you'll like them.

:)

[EDIT] Although I checked the Company website before browsing Flightinfo, I see that the FCIF was issued just 15 minutes ago. Indeed, there is a package in route to each pilot that will be used to accomplish the CMI for which we'll be paid. It won't be long before we won't be carrying our "Jepps bags" anymore! :) [/EDIT]

Last edited:
TonyC said:
[EDIT] Although I checked the Company website before browsing Flightinfo, I see that the FCIF was issued just 15 minutes ago. Indeed, there is a package in route to each pilot that will be used to accomplish the CMI for which we'll be paid. It won't be long before we won't be carrying our "Jepps bags" anymore! :) [/EDIT]

So where am I going to put my "Age 60-Fly til you die?" sticker?

fr8doggie said:
Well, you can carry it, if you like. It's just that you will no longer be required to carry the 45 lbs of charts anymore. :) Perhaps you'd like to use it for your laptop and a collection of professional periodicals.

Mine's made of that ballistic nylon stuff, so it doesn't hold stickers too well, anyway.

Has anybody broken the code on the new FOM yet? I haven't been curious enough to devote any of my vacation time to studying it, but I'd kinda like to now if there are important changes before I start reserve again next week. I'm sure glad they added all those OpSpec references. :rolleyes:

:)

As soon as we get switched over, there'll be a round of cost cutting and we'll go to NOS books from Sporty's.

TonyC said:
Well, you can carry it, if you like. It's just that you will no longer be required to carry the 45 lbs of charts anymore. :) Perhaps you'd like to use it for your laptop and a collection of professional periodicals.

If I remember correctly the FO's will still have to carry charts for 1 year and I believe that is an FAA issue and not FDX (sticking to the pilots anyway they can) issue:rolleyes:

fr8doggie said:

fr8,

Did Clutch Cargo worry about where to put the stickers ? Your avatar picture brings back memories of watching that show in the early days of TV when I was a kid in Chicago. Pretty weird stuff...only the lips moved. I guess it was the first generation of special effects.

I recently flew with the guy that is in charge of the EFB program. He didn't say anything about f/o's carrying paper for a year, though I don't know. We went with LIDO for many reasons- the graphics are good, and the product is good. And it was a lot cheaper. Jepp wanted to charge what they charge now for paper- and offered less support getting the thing going. LIDO will offer more support and help getting everything up and runnung. For less moolah!

Now for the hard part- every pilot has to do the CMI or the program cannot move forward. So get on all your buddies to get it done as soon as possible!!!

Latest resources

Back