• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FedEx at Air Inc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not fair to us that don't know anyone that works there to be discriminated against like that.

WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Back to the original thread...

And by the way, regarding the original thread...I felt like the FedEx greeters at Air, Inc. weren't as active in recruiting as some of the other stations. I kinda got the feeling that the FedEx guys were there more as a formality, as opposed to the AirTran guys who were actually doing mini-interviews and talking upcoming interview dates on the spot. Heck, one of the FedEx greeters was a new hire pilot who hadn't even started his class yet, and was just accepting resumes and throwing them in the big ole stack.

Maybe RJDC could sue to force the greeters to take his attendance at the Air, Inc job fair more seriously...

Discrimination is.....plain discrimination, no matter how you sugar-coated.It IS against the law, and has been for years, to discriminate on the basis of age, religion, race etc. It's not about fairness per se but calling a spade a spade. Why then does it say on every airline app - incl. FEDEX - "we are an EQUAL opportunity employer....we do NOT discriminate according to........"???? And let me guess....they still take your application fee to keep their HR folks happy, knowing full well that unless you meet their strict criteria, you will not stand a chance. May or may not be legal in some states but it's certainly distasteful at best and unethical at best.
It's been quite clear for some time that a whole community of potential employees are NOT being given an EQUAL opportunity and are being discriminated against for not having "enough buds" to recommend them. This remains the SOLE criteria for hiring, not experience, qualifications, nor individual merit or achievement. I know because I know someone there that tried his best (met and even exceeded all the other requirements) but could not even get a System Chief Pilot to make a sensible comment on a candidate because he was "not worthy" to be interviewed!
Why do you think the recruiters were so low key & sullen?? They clearly were uncomfortable being there because everyone knew what their agenda was and it was a waste of space talking to them unless you had plenty of buds there who would work the magic and keep it a closed shop.
For the record, I gave up on FDX a long time ago and am glad I did not waste my energy on such a closed-shop organization. My advice is to stay away and concentrate your time and resources on a user-friendly airline that values diverse skills and what you can bring to the table, not a clique airline that merely wants clones. Trust me, you will be much happier elsewhere. Shiny airplanes are not the only things that go to make a good career.

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
Get a ground job at FedEX.
Join a USAFR or Guard unit in Tenn.
Join the active duty military.
Network, network, network.
Females and minoroties and white males are getting hired by doing the same thing. Working their respective contacts and being persistant. If I can do it anyone can.

Oh yeah, right on....easy as pie....and everyone can do it! Let's all move to TN now.:laugh:
You are forgetting to mention some VERY important things and also assuming a lot. Not every potential canndidate is eligible to join the military reserve or active duty nor desires it. So.....that counts them out then according to your theory.
And.....you forgot to mention that you can be all that but the bottom line is, unless you know X number of insiders who know you intimately, it does not matter what your background is, you will NOT get an interview even if you have 4 lunar landings!!
Getting a ground job @ Fedex is NOT a way in. That's fact. Same for UPS, by the way.
What about the people who have been persistent for 3, 4 or more years, should they go on dreaming for another decade?? Why should they carry on flogging a dead horse. It is human nature to expect a return on your investment at some point. If you can't get past the first gate no matter how good you are, you really are wasting your time. Sorry, but I call a spade a spade and sometimes the truth hurts.

A little controversial but a good post (I think)

b757driver said:
For the record, I gave up on FDX a long time ago and am glad I did not waste my energy on such a closed-shop organization. My advice is to stay away and concentrate your time and resources on a user-friendly airline that values diverse skills and what you can bring to the table, not a clique airline that merely wants clones. Trust me, you will be much happier elsewhere. Shiny airplanes are not the only things that go to make a good career.

This is pretty much where I stand with Southwest.

I think SWA is a great airline but I have drawn a line. I'm not paying for my type. And therefore I'll never work for SWA. Nothing against SWA or the great pilots who work there (and I have several friends who do) but I just cannot afford it.

Too bad for me. Too bad for them. Life goes on.

b757driver said:
Discrimination is.....plain discrimination, no matter how you sugar-coated.It IS against the law, and has been for years, to discriminate on the basis of age, religion, race etc. It's not about fairness per se but calling a spade a spade. Why then does it say on every airline app - incl. FEDEX - "we are an EQUAL opportunity employer....we do NOT discriminate according to........"???? And let me guess....they still take your application fee to keep their HR folks happy, knowing full well that unless you meet their strict criteria, you will not stand a chance. May or may not be legal in some states but it's certainly distasteful at best and unethical at best.
It's been quite clear for some time that a whole community of potential employees are NOT being given an EQUAL opportunity and are being discriminated against for not having "enough buds" to recommend them. This remains the SOLE criteria for hiring, not experience, qualifications, nor individual merit or achievement. I know because I know someone there that tried his best (met and even exceeded all the other requirements) but could not even get a System Chief Pilot to make a sensible comment on a candidate because he was "not worthy" to be interviewed!
Why do you think the recruiters were so low key & sullen?? They clearly were uncomfortable being there because everyone knew what their agenda was and it was a waste of space talking to them unless you had plenty of buds there who would work the magic and keep it a closed shop.

EXACTLY!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!

From RJDC

Most of us are more that qualified to work there otherwise

Maybe you MISSPELLED something your application. Just an observation. I like to use this novel tool called a "spellchecker". Since I attended a public school growing up, I need special crutches like thot - LOOK, you SEE! I just misspelled something! Darn, now if I had a spell checker on Flightinfo.com I could fix that but I won't because I'm lazy and never pay attention to detail, blame others for my shortcomings, etc. .....

Good luck with that lawsuit!

How about suing Flightinfo for not having a spellchecker while you're at it........

Don't forget RJDC: YOU'RE the VICTIM.

notice all the "edits"? just me spellchecking myself....try it!

Last edited:
Southwest does not require the type for interview, and they are in fact interviewing people without the type. I myself interviewed recently at SWA with no 737 type.

It can be depressing...

...certain groups definitely seem to have an advantage when it comes to getting an interview at FedEx, but, regardless of what many have said, you can get hired here without multiple contacts and without a military background. I first applied in Novenmer of 1999 when I hit my 1000 hours of turbine PIC. A friend I flew with got hired in May of 2002 and he was my only "in" at the company. It seemed that I would never get the call, but instead of quitting, I redoubled my efforts. I began updating my online profile weekly and eventually after every trip. I went to AirInc job fairs and met with the HR people. I went to ramps at airports trying to make contacts. I shipped Christmas cookies to HR...anything to make my name stand out in the sea of 10,000+ qualified applicants. I finally got an interview early this year. I've been on the panel 6 months and will be start training for the MD-11 before my probation year is up. Had I not gotten the call this year, I would still be plugging away for as long as it takes. A positive attitude WILL get you where you want to go if you are willing to do the work.

RJDC said:
I bet you could get a good labor lawyer and file a discrimination lawsuit against FedEx for "requiring" internal recommendations. It's not fair to us that don't know anyone that works there to be discriminated against like that. Most of us are more that qualified to work there otherwise.

RJDC said:
Life should be fair for us that don't have internal recs.

Okay RJDC, so you and mr 757driver feel you're being discriminated against? Unbelievable!! What should we call this new form of discrimination? Do you think Fedex is the only company that relies on internal recommendations during their hiring process? For that matter, most other companies (not just airlines) do the same thing. There’s more to hiring than hours/experience on an app or resume and an hour in an interview room. The opinion of a known pilot who has flown with you, worked with you and knows you personally is invaluable in making that hiring decision.

You think someone is going to get a judge to force a business to ignore a source of information that would allow them to make the best decision on a potential employee? That employee is an investment/commitment who will require months and thousands of dollars in training and represent a 20-30+ year relationship with Fedex. Why should they be required to make that investment and commitment without evaluating all information available? No judge is going to force them to do that.

So, with more than 10,000 apps of qualified individuals on file and many thousands more trying to put them on file, what should be a “fair” basis for giving someone an interview? Unlike other carriers that are hiring right now, Fedex doesn’t waste their own resources and their candidate’s time interviewing people they don’t plan to hire. By the time they are sitting across the interview table, candidates have been evaluated to the point that Fedex wants to hire them unless they give them a reason not to. Part of this process is heavily dependant on incumbent pilots vouching for the candidates.

What criteria do YOU think they should use? Hours? Years of experience? Everyone who is competitive has them. You said it yourself: “Most of us are more than qualified to work there otherwise”. Do you really think anyone cares if you have more hours than some other pilot once you’ve both reached the point of being competitive for the job? What do you want Fedex to do when evaluating you and some other equally qualified candidate who has a recommendation? Should they give you the interview because you whine the loudest or give it to him because someone they trust says he’s worth hiring? I’ll take the second guy every time.

Other airlines rely on internal recs also. They just tease you with an interview and then show you the door because you don’t have someone pulling you in from the inside. Like I said, Fedex would rather put one more filter on the process and avoid wasting their time and yours.

Latest resources

Back