• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FBO etiquette

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ultra and Encore gyros will spin up just fine on the taxi out. No need to just sit there and twiddle your thumbs making noise. Must be something else. In fact I don't believe I've actually waited for the gyros to spin up in the Primus 1000 or any of the other EFIS displays. They'll come up in about a minute.

Cool. Wait til you get the first maintenance bill.

Ultra and Encore gyros will spin up just fine on the taxi out. No need to just sit there and twiddle your thumbs making noise. Must be something else. In fact I don't believe I've actually waited for the gyros to spin up in the Primus 1000 or any of the other EFIS displays. They'll come up in about a minute.

If a Meggit standby attitude indicator is installed, any movement on any aircraft axis will make it reset and start the 3 minute countdown again. Also, can't do the before taxi avionics self test, the inverter tests, and the GPWS test (if first flight of the day) without the gyros erect and displaying good data. I've never done it myself, but I've heard stories of people accidently flying a whole leg with the Meggit blank showing the 180 sec to go indication.

Finally, just my opinion, but it is poor form to taxi without a good heading indication, as it may be needed to quickly confirm that your heading matches the airport diagram to avoid a runway or taxiway incursion. The Primus display is much easier to reference in a hurry than the magnetic compass, especially just after completing a turn on the ground before the compass stabilizes.

Having the gyros erect before taxi also helps when the gyro never erects due to a failure, you don't have to admit to ground you need to return to the FBO :blush: .

Too bad if I wake you up to turn on the television when you could have fallen asleep in the quiet room instead of the pilots lounge.........lots of t-bags with there bluetooth and cell phones and pagers and blackberries and leatherman and flashlights on their belts...........wannabe Batman. Lots of King Aire and straight wing citation pilots love to sit and sit and sit with engines running right in front of the Fbo doors while they try to figure out where they are and where they are going..............pull to another part of the ramp and do your checks for Gods sake.

Last edited:
Cool. Wait til you get the first maintenance bill.

It was more of a tongue in cheek reference to (lack of) decent procedures in the 500 series airplanes at my former company. Nobody waited for the gyros to spool up in the 560U/E. Each and every battery start would have us taxiing before the gyros spooled up in both the Primus 1000 and other EFIS display equipped airplanes.

I've since flown with a couple "real" companies that use/adhere to not only procedures but common sense. A breath of fresh air :)

Tip? For what? Doing their job like they are suposed to do? Ill tip if they do something not expected as normal routine. Drive to hotel, lav, etc. Tipping for things that are normally considered part of their job is just reinforcing normal behaior. If you just start tipping so you arent considered cheap, you might as well also tip the girls at the desk for picking up the phone or submitting your fuel order to the lineman. Its their job to do that. Its why they have a job.

My employer reimburse tips I give to line guys and whom ever. So why be so cheap? Tips are only a small fraction off the operating cost. Also, try not to tip when you frequently use the same facility or if you fly international where its sometimes expected. See what kind of service and treatment you'll receive.

Also, try not to tip when you frequently use the same facility or if you fly international where its sometimes expected. See what kind of service and treatment you'll receive.

Can someone say MYNN...MMSD...?!!!

I didn't read through the entire thread, but my only annoyance on the ramp is the full power out of the blocks when someone's parked behind you bit.

The Cessna 172 with the 50 hour know-it-all private pilot doing their run-up on the blocks while we're boarding 40 feet away...

The Cessna 172 with the 50 hour know-it-all private pilot doing their run-up on the blocks while we're boarding 40 feet away...

Hahahaa! You mean the guy who starts the thing with full throttle?? I know that guy!:smash:

sorry just woke up from my nap snoring my head off, due to my abnoxious ringer on my loud A$$ cell phone, while my computer was playing movie full volume, now I just have to go use that mens room next to the passed out NJ guy in the crew lounge. I agree with all you guys posts except I do like to tip a lot of the ramp guys, expecially Duane at Jet in TEB.

Latest resources

Back