FAPA (F9) question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Minimaniac,

Thanks for the simply and unemotional answers...if I can ask a few others, thanks in advance for answering if you can...opinions or facts are fine since this is FI!

1. As you explained, the payrates for F9 are different than what RAH has at their other carriers and you believe the lists will come together before 2015. Realistically, how long do F9 pilots believe BB will allow the higher pay scale to occur? Is there any fear that a USAir/America West scenario can develop from this current arragnement in terms of "haves and have nots"?

2. Is there any pressure from RAH and BB to force the two groups F9 and RAH to blend/merge sooner rather than later?

3. Do the pilots of F9 believe their brand will exist in the near (18 months or less), medium (18 months to 3 years) or long term (greater than 3 years)? Very hypothetical I realize and no need to respond if too nebulous but I'm interested in the perspective/mindset of what their outlook is in your opinion.

4. Lastly, is there any fear of further furloughs among F9 pilots?

Thanks in advance for replying.

a lot of those RAH misfits think they will be in the left seat of the Bus inside of 2 years.......
Also, i've heard with my own ears "Frontier guys are lucky to have jobs, we bought them."
They will fly those at any pay rate of crappy work rule, Bedford knows it

Bull.Here's a gem from..uh..YOU...You know ,when YOU worked there:

"RAH pays industry average for 70 Seat pay. The work rules are pretty good also. (not perfect and a far cry from a major)
The FA's have it rough, their pay is crap."

Thanks for the simply and unemotional answers...if I can ask a few others, thanks in advance for answering if you can...opinions or facts are fine since this is FI!

1. As you explained, the payrates for F9 are different than what RAH has at their other carriers and you believe the lists will come together before 2015. Realistically, how long do F9 pilots believe BB will allow the higher pay scale to occur? Is there any fear that a USAir/America West scenario can develop from this current arragnement in terms of "haves and have nots"?
2. Is there any pressure from RAH and BB to force the two groups F9 and RAH to blend/merge sooner rather than later?
3. Do the pilots of F9 believe their brand will exist in the near (18 months or less), medium (18 months to 3 years) or long term (greater than 3 years)? Very hypothetical I realize and no need to respond if too nebulous but I'm interested in the perspective/mindset of what their outlook is in your opinion.
4. Lastly, is there any fear of further furloughs among F9 pilots?

Thanks in advance for replying.

Hi Chase,

We have been advised not to discuss SLI issues in public, but since you are one of the cool SWA guys, I thought I would respond in general.

1.) BB signed off on the F9 CBA with its return to book rates and subsequent pay raises, therefore I believe he understands what mainline pilots cost to acheive one of the most productive and cost effective pilot groups in the industry. You get what you pay for.

2.) If BB had his way he would never merge these pilot groups. He prefers to keep them seperate but has recently said he wouldn't block a SLI effort unless it became bad for business. I guess he could always spin F9 off or sell 50.1% to one of his investment banker buddies.

3.) All indications are that the Frontier brand will be the surviving brand although the Midwest brand will be retained for the foreseeable future. Obviously that is what we would like to see at F9.

4.) Never say never (even at SWA) but F9 is scheduled to take delivery of new Airbusses soon and resume growth mode so furloughs are unlikely. Word at the schoolhouse is that furloughs will all be back on property and hiring off the street possible by next year.

The general mood is that F9 pilots would like to have a flow-through for the other pilot groups to come to mainline if they wish, and to work together on a common CBA that would be beneficial for all parties. We'll see how that goes.

We signed a letter of agreement before the final transaction that includes theoretical job protection for all pilots currently on property as well as pay rates through 2015. Im being vague because so is my knowledge of the finite details. I say 'theoretical' because isnt every protection, at every airline (scope, job protections, etc) just that?

Republic lives by the phrase. "Fly it and grieve it later"

What a sad way to operate. Watch out.

Hi Chase,

We have been advised not to discuss SLI issues in public, but since you are one of the cool SWA guys, I thought I would respond in general.

1.) BB signed off on the F9 CBA with its return to book rates and subsequent pay raises, therefore I believe he understands what mainline pilots cost to acheive one of the most productive and cost effective pilot groups in the industry. You get what you pay for.

2.) If BB had his way he would never merge these pilot groups. He prefers to keep them seperate but has recently said he wouldn't block a SLI effort unless it became bad for business. I guess he could always spin F9 off or sell 50.1% to one of his investment banker buddies.

3.) All indications are that the Frontier brand will be the surviving brand although the Midwest brand will be retained for the foreseeable future. Obviously that is what we would like to see at F9.

4.) Never say never (even at SWA) but F9 is scheduled to take delivery of new Airbusses soon and resume growth mode so furloughs are unlikely. Word at the schoolhouse is that furloughs will all be back on property and hiring off the street possible by next year.

The general mood is that F9 pilots would like to have a flow-through for the other pilot groups to come to mainline if they wish, and to work together on a common CBA that would be beneficial for all parties. We'll see how that goes.

Interesting, as an outside observer, I have to say I'm really hoping F9 does well. From what I can see you have a great operation and I know the one time I flew on you with my family it was a great ride. This industry used to have a lot of cool airlines (PSA, Piedmont, AirCal, the first Frontier, Aloha, etc etc. that are gone). It's nice to see a good Colorado Airline surviving.
I am blown away by the blatantly petty attitude of a few SWA pilots that somehow think your choosing to try and continue to build the airline you have started rather than get tacked on to the bottom of someones list is a slap in their face. There have been a few posts on here that are an embarrassment to the airline piloting profession. It wasn't all that long ago that SWA was much less of an airline than the one F9 is today. This is a volatile industry, the only thing you can say for sure about the airline business in no airline is a sure bet and we all live in glass houses. If anything SWA could be heading for a downturn and F9 could be heading for better times. You certainly offer a better product for someone buying a ticket in DEN. Anyway, good luck, I think a lot of people have been pretty annoyed by some of the hyper competitiveness of the few SWA folks on here.

Interesting, as an outside observer, I have to say I'm really hoping F9 does well. From what I can see you have a great operation and I know the one time I flew on you with my family it was a great ride. This industry used to have a lot of cool airlines (PSA, Piedmont, AirCal, the first Frontier, Aloha, etc etc. that are gone). It's nice to see a good Colorado Airline surviving.
I am blown away by the blatantly petty attitude of a few SWA pilots that somehow think your choosing to try and continue to build the airline you have started rather than get tacked on to the bottom of someones list is a slap in their face. There have been a few posts on here that are an embarrassment to the airline piloting profession. It wasn't all that long ago that SWA was much less of an airline than the one F9 is today. This is a volatile industry, the only thing you can say for sure about the airline business in no airline is a sure bet and we all live in glass houses. If anything SWA could be heading for a downturn and F9 could be heading for better times. You certainly offer a better product for someone buying a ticket in DEN. Anyway, good luck, I think a lot of people have been pretty annoyed by some of the hyper competitiveness of the few SWA folks on here.

Dear Dan,
Thanks for your editorial opinion. You could have saved yourself and the readers of Flight Info a lot time simply by summarizing the above diatribe into one sentence. I, Dan Roman, HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT SWA.

BTW. I don't think the pilots of SWA disapprove of the choice the F9 guys made, they did what they felt was best for their future. Its just that most of us would rather be working with the F9 guys to dominate new markets rather than fighting them for it.

Last edited:
Dear Dan,
Thanks for your editorial opinion. You could have saved yourself and the readers of Flight Info a lot time simply by summarizing the above diatribe into one sentence. I, Dan Roman, HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT SWA.

BTW. I don't think the pilots of SWA disapprove of the choice the F9 guys made, they did what they felt was best for their future. Its just that most of us would rather be working with the F9 guys to dominate new markets rather than fighting them for it.

And nothing could be further from the truth. In fact I once posted a similar type "editorial" that was disagreeing with all the anti SWA posts. For the same type of reason. The whole "my airline can beat up your airline" thing. I put a post that defended SWA as a great airline and couldn't understand all the SWA bashing. If the pilots working there like it, why would anyone fault that? That's the litmus test for having a good job, it's if you like it. I see a lot of people that don't seem to like their job bashing SWA (maybe the couldn't get hired?) and I see people that do like their job bashing SWA just because it's a different airline.
You'll notice I said a "few" SWA pilots sound like a Texas high school football team. All the SWA people I've met have been great and I don't think they feel like the "few" posters on here that have in fact acted like ass's towards the F9 pilots, that string about the song with Bad Boys words changed was an embarrassment.
Yes it's a competitive industry and we are all competing at the corporate level and yes everyone is a little guilty of cheerleading for their airline, it's just that a "few" SWA folks on here have taken it too far. I have nothing again SWA, but I would rather see F9 prosper in DEN and have a good career than see SWA just be able to grow another city at the expense of a good airline.

I have nothing again SWA, but I would rather see F9 prosper in DEN and have a good career than see SWA just be able to grow another city at the expense of a good airline.

Dan,

So it is ok for F9 to prosper in MKE at the expense of Midwest?
I don't believe any thing was offered to the YX guys after the F9 guys took over! Not even a staple job!

Last edited:
Dan,

So it is ok for F9 to prosper in MKE at the expense of Midwest?
I don't believe any thing was offered to the YX guys after the F9 guys took over! Not even a staple job!

F9 didn't do anything to Midwest, they didn't buy them. You know that and you know better than to say that.

We signed a letter of agreement before the final transaction that includes theoretical job protection for all pilots currently on property as well as pay rates through 2015.

Just wondering did the LOA include paying $3000 per month and full medical for every pilot on furlough? If not why did you want that from SWA and not from Republic?

Latest resources

Back