• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

FAM's and the Jumpseat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All Inspector jumpseat requests must be approved by their supervisor as work related. That means going to and from a work location. Supervisors must review Inspector jumpseat activity on a regular basis. I do not know of any Inspector that "goes on vacation" using the jumpseat. It can be grounds for termination. If you have a problem, call their supervisor/office/region.

121.548 Aviation safety inspector's credentials: Admission to pilot's compartment.
Whenever, in performing the duties of conducting an inspection, an inspector of the Federal Aviation Administration presents form FAA 110A, “Aviation Safety Inspector's Credential,” to the pilot in command of an aircraft operated by a certificate holder, the inspector must be given free and uninterrupted access to the pilot's compartment of that aircraft.

121.581 Observer's seat: En route inspections.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, each certificate holder shall make available a seat on the flight deck of each airplane, used by it in air commerce, for occupancy by the Administrator while conducting en route inspections. The location and equipment of the seat, with respect to its suitability for use in conducting en route inspections, is determined by the Administrator.

After 20+ years of military service, I know how the federal civil service works...

All those regs you quoted are just window dressing to make it all look official for any curious taxpayers or congresspeople.

The way it REALLY works...

"Hey boss, what's up! I was wondering if I could do an observation flight on UAL ORD-SAN on friday afternoon. I've got the form all filled out"

"Sure Bob, let me sign it for you now (wink, wink)"

Don't believe me? Start paying attention to where/when feds are jumpseating...you might notice a pattern.

I'm not even saying that there's anything seriously wrong with this...I'm all for allowing employees to leverage their work schedule for their own convenience if it still get's the job done. But there is some supervisory discretion available to jumpseating feds. I've had them flat-out tell me they were going somewhere for fun.

Last edited:
Not sure why we're all worked up here, dispatchers already have JS access, right? To clarify, I'm not advocating that we take it away from anyone who already has it....
I seem to have misread your statements then. My apologies...I've really gotta stop with the booze and FI after work.

rickair,

Can ANY system be abused or illegally used, you betcha. The Inspector jumpseat approval is more complicated than you think. There is a papertrail with "carbon copys" of each leg with records review/approval by your supervisor and manager with audits by your Region, HQ, or whoever they decide to audit. (If you get caught not using the paper trail - your fired - quickly.) Can it be done - yes. Are you betting your job and pension that you get away with it - yes. Have Inspectors been fired for abusing this system - yes.

Can an Inspector just jump on a plane to go wherever - yes. Will they have to be able to explain to "bosses" why they did that - yes. Do they need a work related justification for the leg - yes.

The system is in no way perfect. Nor could I say it is not abused. Just not often.

If you got a better system you can always write or call: (and tell them they need to buy me a ticket so I do not have to sit in those lousy jumpseats)

The Administrator
Federal Aviation Administration
800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20591
1-866-TELL-FAA (1-866-835-5322)

If you have been in the government then you know to not hold your breath waiting for an answer.

So for dispatchers that commute, do you commute back and forth each day to work? Do you buy a hotel for the night when you are working?

Crashpad and jumpseat - just like a pilot (even have a PNT bag for the shear strength of the damned thing - bought in 2001).

Latest resources

Back